Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colour variation

• 16-11-2017 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

I've just had a new entrance gate clad in Siberian larch. Two of the panels are considerably darker than the rest. The builder said it's normal to have variation but it really sticks out. The house also has 30 sq. m of the same cladding and these two panels are the only ones this dark. I brought it to their attention before it was finished but they carried on anyway. They had ran out of timber anyway and had to get more to finish it. Who's in the right here? I'm not happy with the job but they seem to think it's fine.

gate.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

While we can offer advice on timber related queries, we can do nothing about whether you
    are happy with your builders workmanship, thats not what this forum is for.

Variation in timber related products is the norm. Its a living material, and each piece acts independently
    from all other similar pieces. Thats why its interesting material, it has character, thats what distinguishes
    it from composite man made materials.

If that was the main criteria of your brief, perhaps you should have chosen a man made composite
    product that would all be identical.

As i said we wont be discussing who,s right or wrong in this instance, as it comes down to opinions,
    we've all got them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If the grain pattern and texture of the dark planks are similar to the rest the wood then it may just be heartwood from a very large tree . If you think it's a different type of timber that has been stained, then drill a small discreet hole, with a 2mm bit to see if the wood is the same color under the surface. Also the lighter colored planks will darken over time , though they will never be an exact match for two dark planks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The dark planks are less than 1% of the entire area. To me, it wouldn’t be a big issue to use timber closer in colour to the other 99% used.

For me it’sprobably another job I’ll have to rectify myself as some other tradesman took a lazy option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Its bad craftsmanship pure and simple. Larch can have these colour variations but that's no excuse for using them. You could stain the whole gate a dark brown colour and hide the offending planks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I've felled a lot of larch in the UK and never seen that sort of colour variation. My guess is the too odd planks have been through a completely different preservation process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

recipio wrote: »
    You could stain the whole gate a dark brown colour and hide the offending planks.

Staining the gate to match would mean it would be a different colour to the rest of the cladding on the house, so not an option for me.
    my3cents wrote: »
    My guess is the too odd planks have been through a completely different preservation process.

All the wood had preserver added at the supplier so nothing added on site.

I'll get them to change it. Harder to do now that they have finished it but I did call them on it beforehand.

Thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Effects wrote: »
    Staining the gate to match would mean it would be a different colour to the rest of the cladding on the house, so not an option for me.

All the wood had preserver added at the supplier so nothing added on site.

I'll get them to change it. Harder to do now that they have finished it but I did call them on it beforehand.

Thanks for the replies.

What I am suggesting is the two odd planks came from a different source and where pressure treated or dipped differently. I know from experience you can't even rely on two batches of shiplap boards from the same yard to have the same profile.

It would be interesting to look at the cut end grain of the odd planks to see how deep that colour goes.

Edit> I'd like to see some close ups of the grain as it doesn't look much like larch to me? Also the timber on your picture with a dark edge should be rejected as it looks like its gone rotten in the stack after cutting due to being left out in the wet, it will be alright for now but will degrade quicker than it should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Lazy workmanship no other words for it .
    Whether it's the same timber or not you'd always try and keep some sort of continuity through out the sheeting. If there was one or two a completely different shade they'd be left aside

Advertisement