Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Brolly and Eamonn Dunphy are not fans of Barry McGuigan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Joe Brolly is a narcissist egomaniac and Eamon Dunphy is a cantankerous old drunk. If the two of them disliked me I'd consider it a compliment.

Barry McGuigan is an ambassador for his sport and this Island.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

As the poster above says, any criticism by them two is actually an endorsement of your character.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Dunphy, the failed soccer player talking about easy fights for Barry...what a fooking numpty. How that dithering drunk still gets air time is beyond me..

As for the GAA man who achieved nothing outside of Ireland..

And Tracey does not deserve to be higher than Barry..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

walshb wrote: »
    Dunphy, the failed soccer player talking about easy fights for Barry...what a fooking numpty. How that dithering drunk still gets air time is beyond me..

As for the GAA man who achieved nothing outside of Ireland..

And Tracey does not deserve to be higher than Barry..

Regarding Treacy and McGuigan, both are magnificent achievements, and it would be personal opinion as to what would be better. I'd pick Treacy, but wouldn't have any issue with others picking McGuigan. What I can't understand is how Offaly winning an All Ireland is seen as better than both of these genuine world class achievements. Only in Ireland.

Joe Brolly actually sums up a lot about the begrudging nature of Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

So Donkey Dunphy now turns his (ahem) 'expertise' to boxing?

I remember when he had the evening slot on Today FM before Matt Cooper and there was a very big Heavyweight title fight (possibly Lewis/Holyfield) that weekend and when it came around to previewing it, Donkey said that he didn't even like boxing and only had the preview because it was such a big event.

And now he's paid to give his 'expert' opinion on something he knows f*ck all about and doesn't even like?........ actually that's really the same as his soccer analysis. Drunken idiot!!

Don't know what Brolly's problem is, but he has followed the same path as Donkey in creating a career for himself by being controversial, he's just more eloquent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

How that dithering drunk still gets air time is beyond me..

He is married to RTE's commissioning editor, standard nepotism from a rotten institution.

megadodge wrote: »
    So Donkey Dunphy now turns his (ahem) 'expertise' to boxing?

I remember when he had the evening slot on Today FM before Matt Cooper and there was a very big Heavyweight title fight (possibly Lewis/Holyfield) that weekend and when it came around to previewing it, Donkey said that he didn't even like boxing and only had the preview because it was such a big event.

And now he's paid to give his 'expert' opinion on something he knows f*ck all about and doesn't even like?........ actually that's really the same as his soccer analysis. Drunken idiot!!

Don't know what Brolly's problem is, but he has followed the same path as Donkey in creating a career for himself by being controversial, he's just more eloquent.

I enjoy listening to Dunphy talk about soccer as he is entertaining and I don't take him too seriously. But listening to him talk about other sports is nauseating.

On the show last week he said Cycling is tarnished, and that he has a real fear of the same with Track and Field Athletics. Funny, I've never once heard him say anything about football, and he fawns over Barcelona and Spain, who have been linked to dodgey doctors who have worked with Lance Armstrong and other cyclists. You'd think somebody involved in football for so long would be a bit more clued in about doping in this sport. It's funny how journalists are so clueless about the topic when it comes to football. Yet he feels the need to discredit two sports on national TV, and as a result implicate anybody associated with them.

Worth noting that Tony Cascarino admitted to taking performance enhancing drugs when at Marseilles. I bet Dunphy doesn't even know this.

He is married to RTE's commissioning editor, standard nepotism from a rotten institution.

Of course....

His easy fights reference. Pure bull from a man who knows eff all about the sport and who could never appreciate it..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What did those pair achieve outside this country?

Nothing

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I enjoy listening to Dunphy talk about soccer as.

Really?

Stuttering, stammering and struggling to construct sentences is most of what I hear.

Always an axe to grind, and rarely, if ever sincere with his analysis..

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Auroras_encore

Barry the brit tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What I can't understand is how Offaly winning an All Ireland is seen as better than both of these genuine world class achievements.

It's not about achievements. It's the greatest sporting moments .

More people probably saw it live than the others so I can understand it placing as highly as it did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

McGuigan as a boxer was quite limited.... but the night he beat Pedroza has been ingrained in the Irish psyche....he's an affable and amiable individual, he was managed by a man, who was a master when dealing with the papers...and he built this whole "unifying Ireland' aura around Barry.
    His boxing legacy is not great... but he will always be admired for that great day in London..

As an aside...how do people view Wayne McCullough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

My opinion of Barry McGuigan increased tenfold from reading the thread title alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Brolly mentioned McAuley vs Bassa. I watched fight one the other day. It's well worth checking out.

It's not about achievements. It's the greatest sporting moments .

More people probably saw it live than the others so I can understand it placing as highly as it did.

Achievements/moments... just semantics...

Barry winning a world title that is global and with global appeal blows Offaly winning a national title out of the water. No contest whatsoever..

Far greater moment and far greater achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

McGuigan as a boxer was quite limited.... but the night he beat Pedroza has been ingrained in the Irish psyche....he's an affable and amiable individual, he was managed by a man, who was a master when dealing with the papers...and he built this whole "unifying Ireland' aura around Barry.
    His boxing legacy is not great... but he will always be admired for that great day in London..

As an aside...how do people view Wayne McCullough ?

I dont disagree with most of what you say, but I've always held McGuigan's cross-community credentials to be genuine and most impressive. He had a fan club in the Shankill and formed bonds that were heartfelt and did make a difference. Of course that just marked him out as a token "west Brit", as indeed has already been alluded to in this thread, but that just went with the territory as we all know.

Pedroza was a great contest, though he looked a little bit past it that night I thought even though he wasn't old by any means at that stage, just had been on the go a long time.

They're completely different. Thats why Roche was in for La Plagne...not winning the TdF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

Barry winning a world title that is global and with global appeal blows Offaly winning a national title out of the water. No contest whatsoever..

Far greater moment and far greater achievement.

As far as I know it's about the most "memorable" sporting moments - not even results or significance but moments that stand out in people's memories.

I'm fairly sure most posters here are too young to rememeber most of the 80s, but if a discussion of memorable sporting moments in Ireland of the 1980s did not include Seamus Darby's fantastic last minute goal to prevent the unstoppable Kerry 5-in-a-row, it would be a farce.

Having said that I think Barry's triumph is more memorable, but that goal will be remembered forever all round Ireland by those who saw it live.

They're completely different. Thats why Roche was in for La Plagne...not winning the TdF.

Fair enough...

Bit ridiculous IMO...

At least stretch it to single sporting achievement...

I missed the programme. Why exactly were Offaly selected?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Fair enough...

Bit ridiculous IMO...

For no other reason than it stopped Kerry doing the five in a row ...

It was basically just a means for RTE to milk a bit more lazy tv schedule out of a topic that was sure "to get the nation talking." They've done achievements/best XI/XIVs etc to death over the years, so some bright spark came up with the idea of best sporting "moments" and they all wet their pants at the prospect of it.

Fair enough...

Bit ridiculous IMO...

They weren't.

Seamus Darby's goal in the last minute to stop a seemingly invincible Kerry team from winning a 5th in a row. It was a huge moment in GAA football finals history.

It's not a debate about which is a better achievement but as a moment in a big occasion that will forever be spoken about in GAA lore, it deserved it's place in the programme.

The whole programme is very subjective. If you have no interest in GAA then it would probably mean nothing to you.

It’s 1962-2012, so that cuts out Ronnie Delaney, and O’Donovan Brothers out of it. Bizarrely random dates to use.

One of them (Brolly I think) referred to Barry losing to Cruz who they called a journeyman. What they didn’t mention was the barbaric temperature he fought that fight in.

Anybody know of any history between Brolly and McGuigan? Fairly appalling to say on live TV that he doesn’t like him.

One of them (Brolly I think) referred to Barry losing to Cruz who they called a journeyman. What they didn’t mention was the barbaric temperature he fought that fight in.

Anybody know of any history between Brolly and McGuigan? Fairly appalling to say on live TV that he doesn’t like him.

Journeyman comment shows both his ignorance and contempt. Cruz was not very highly ranked, but he was ranked in the top ten at that time by the WBA.

Sounds like both the pricks could not hide their ignorance and contempt for one of our truly great sports persons...

And for anyone to watch that Vegas fight and not come away in absolute awe at Barry’s strength of mind and body is truly bewildering..

I challenge anyone to find a more gutsy and courageous sporting performance displayed by any Irish person ever...

Don't know of any history between them, though sure they've probably met on several occasions. Just watched a clip of that show and typical Brolly inserting himself into the narrative by claiming that Barney Eastwood later confided his criticisms of McGuigan to Brolly personally. My best guess would be Brolly's distaste is based on the whole unifying, cross-community thing which I'm sure riled a lot of people up in that time and probably still does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

megadodge wrote: »
    As far as I know it's about the most "memorable" sporting moments - not even results or significance but moments that stand out in people's memories.

I'm fairly sure most posters here are too young to rememeber most of the 80s, but if a discussion of memorable sporting moments in Ireland of the 1980s did not include Seamus Darby's fantastic last minute goal to prevent the unstoppable Kerry 5-in-a-row, it would be a farce.

Having said that I think Barry's triumph is more memorable, but that goal will be remembered forever all round Ireland by those who saw it live.

Another famous GAA moment that stands out in many peoples memories is Mikey Sheehy's brilliant quick thinking goal that started the demolition of Dublin in the 1978 All Ireland Football final.

Another famous GAA moment that stands out in many peoples memories is Mikey Sheehy's brilliant quick thinking goal that started the demolition of Dublin in the 1978 All Ireland Football final.

For me that is far more recognizable...albeit in the ‘70s

• Advertisement

Imagine if the Offaly supporters sitting on the pitch in Semple beats Carruth tonight :)

Advertisement