Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Brolly and Eamonn Dunphy are not fans of Barry McGuigan

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Chivito550 wrote: »
    It’s 1962-2012, so that cuts out Ronnie Delaney, and O’Donovan Brothers out of it. Bizarrely random dates to use.

i don't know why they chose that start date but the reason for the end date makes sense, they want events/achievements that stand the test of time. we don't know how we'll view the recent past in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been discussed here, but I watched last week's episode of Ireland's Greatest Sporting Moment, and Joe Brolly and Eamonn Dunphy lambasted Barry McGuigan.

Is this criticism valid?

Brolly went so far to say "I don't like the man".

https://www.balls.ie/boxing/joe-brolly-eamon-dunphy-barry-mcguigan-377408

Both not fit to empty his spit bucket let alone to lace McGuigans gloves
    I remember that night he won the world title :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

CatFromHue wrote: »
    i don't know why they chose that start date but the reason for the end date makes sense, they want events/achievements that stand the test of time. we don't know how we'll view the recent past in a few years.

I’d be pretty certain the rowing would stand the test of time, but I get your point. Recency bias and all that.

That’s why Padraig Harrington won greatest Irish sportsperson done back in 2008 or 2009 on RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

megadodge wrote: »
    Don't know what Brolly's problem is, but he has followed the same path as Donkey in creating a career for himself by being controversial, he's just more eloquent.

Barry drew support from both sides of the divide. Therein lies the issue, I suspect. I met Barry a few years ago on a flight and he was one of the nicest people I have ever met. Don't get why RTE would allow Dunphy and Brolly to comment on boxing. Mick Dowling would be the best man for that job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Brolly and McGuigan grew up in the same generation during the troubles . I think Brolly has issues with Barry outside of his sporting achievements. Thats the vibe i got

However i know a lot of other people who didnt warm to Barry . My oul lad being one . He said nothing ever will beat Heffos Army for him as his greatest sport moment . Im a big boxing fan but nothing will ever beat Dublin winning the AI in 2011 with the last kick of the game.

Everyone has their own opinion on what moment they enjoyed the best.

Belittling what Barry achieved/or other moments that others regard as their greatest moment is petty and childish.

It ruined what should of been a great moment of nostalgia for everybody. For such a small country there has been so many great sporting moments.

Actually the best part of it was seeing achievements in Sports that i dont particularly have an interest in . Dont ask me why

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Im a big boxing fan but nothing will ever beat Dublin winning the AI in 2011 with the last kick of the game.

How can something like that overshadow a European, World or Olympic level triumph? Outside of Ireland and the Irish communities abroad, nobody would have a clue about GAA sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

For no other reason than it stopped Kerry doing the five in a row ...

It drove him to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Choochtown

hbhook wrote: »
    Brolly mentioned McAuley vs Bassa. I watched fight one the other day. It's well worth checking out.

I was there in the King's Hall for the first McAuley Bassa fight. Great night!

It's worth pointing out that although McGuigan is credited for bringing communities together at that time (and I'm not denying that he did appeal to both sides) boxing was, and always has been, largely a sectarian-free sport in Belfast.
    I went to quite a few shows in Belfast in the 80s, both amateur and professional, and inside the venue on fight night often felt the safest place to be in the city. Often there would be match-ups between 2 fighters from "opposite sides of the divide" and never once did I feel threatened or afraid of any crowd trouble and this was at a time when you could literally be shot for being the wrong person in the wrong place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

YFlyer wrote: »
    It drove him to drink.

He'd been drinking long before that ...did you not see the cut of him? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ger Loughnane did say that Offaly were the "only team in the modern era with fat legs, bellies and arses".

:D

:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The actual panelists don’t even seem to know what the format is judging by Ruby Walsh’s scathing dismissal of Ireland’s victory over world soccer power, Italy at USA ‘94....

It’s the moment, Ruby. The fooking moment...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Because RTE TV started broadcasting in 1962. Any sporting events/moments that RTE TV didn't broadcast do not make the shortlist in this programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

Berserker wrote: »
    How can something like that overshadow a European, World or Olympic level triumph? Outside of Ireland and the Irish communities abroad, nobody would have a clue about GAA sports.

I'm sure he can answer for himself, but it's pretty obvious to me that he's not saying Dublin's win was a 'better' achievement, he's saying it meant more to him personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Sorry to be pedantic but strictly speaking, the Dubs winning the 2011 All Ireland isn't a moment, its half a year encompassing an entire campaign. Same with Sonia O'Sullivan winning gold, Carruth winning an Olympic title and at least half the other "moments" namechecked in the polls. The moment would be contained somewhere therein, maybe Cluxton's winning score, the point Coghlan looks at the Bulgarian and smiles before sprinting away to the line, when Treacy enters the Olympic arena and knows a medal is assured etc. As walshb correctly states above, even RTE blatantly make a nonsense of their own parameters as guest after guest has appeared to confuse moments with achievement and, in some cases, even appear to be settling some personal scores in doing so. It's all silly stuff but it gets the nation talking so it's job done as far as the station is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Anyone else notice the new form of ridicule coming into our great sporting moments? Revisionism.
    "It would have happened anyway", "Sure he was nothing without his manager", "Your man was a goner anyway".
    Pathetic, petty and sad from those two. While I admired Brolly for donating his kidney to his friend his commentary is very negative and he abides by the GAA mantra of bigotry.
    As for dummy nobody in the game takes him seriously. It just shows how competent RTE are to keep paying this chancer and getting rid of Giles who has forgotten more about the game than dummy will ever know.
    Dummy is a self confessed criminal and yet somehow people at home take him seriously.
    I had the honour of meeting Barry after Frampton's title success in NY and despite the crowd took time out to chat and have photos taken. A gentleman, a ferocious competitor and a winner. None of which apply to those bigots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I come from and am myself a proud unionist from ni. (Not a loyalist but a unionist) I remember as a wee boy our youth club (all Protestants) stopping all of the activities, bringing in a wee portable tv (mid 80s) into the hall and everyone crowding around to watch the cyclone fight on a Saturday night.

Brollys parents were both sf councillors so I can only imagine the upbringing he had that maybe has clouded his views. Plus he is obviously like some kind of shock jock GAA head out to make a few headlines. A complete bull****ter IMO. Anyway Don’t want to turn this political so won’t go there. Don’t know much about dumpy but others comments have guided me. The few times I’ve heard him I would agree with other posters.

Barry was one of the few sports people who was did have cross community support in NI which was at the height of the troubles then. I have a lot of time and respect for Barry because of this. He was actually pretty unique.

Put it this way outside of Ireland who would have ever heard of Brolly or dumpy? Precisely the square root of feck all.

2 bull****ters looking attention. Why would a GAA head and a failed footballer be talking about boxing anyway??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Berserker wrote: »

I was talking about my own personal favourite moment ? Or you telling me what mine can and cant be :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I heard he was a teetotaller before he scored that famous goal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

Dunphy is good for a laugh when it comes to football punditry. Would not take any notice of anything else he says. Brolly is just a jumped up angry wee man.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I would say to McGuigan to take it as a source of pride that those two clowns dislike him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 elmomcgrath

In reference to people dismissing Seamus Darby's goal.

The 1982 all ireland is one of the countrys greatest sporting moments and is well ahead of McGuigans moment.

Fact is the AI football final is this countries biggest annual sporting event our equivalent of the Super Bowl, whether people like it or not this is the case.

The greatest team of all time being beaten by a spectacular last minute goal scored by a forgotten player on a complete underdog team is a great sporting moment in any country's history and it's deservedly was on the shortlist and in terms of a moment in sporting history you couldn't script something better.Dismissing Darby's goal as some people have done would be like dismissing he Patriots epic comeback in last years superbowl.

The level of achievement is irrelevant to the entire debate that RTE were having and therefore what McGuigan achieved is completely irrelevant to the entire debate.

That's right Mrs Darby

That's right Mrs Darby

Another person who doesn't understand what the point of the program was.

Another person who doesn't understand what the point of the program was.

Seamus Darby for President!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I agree with ea moan on this one, mcguigan and his son are shysters

AnneFrank wrote: »
    I agree with ea moan on this one, mcguigan and his son are shysters

What are you talking about? Your post needs tidying!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I read in the paper that there was an apology to Barry McG at the start of last night's show about what Joe said.

On the Darby goal I'd say it was a great, if not the greatest, for Offaly but not for the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

I read in the paper that there was an apology to Barry McG at the start of last night's show about what Joe said.

On the Darby goal I'd say it was a great, if not the greatest, for Offaly but not for the whole country.

Well you'd be wrong then!

The entire country, outside of Kerry obviously, celebrated that win. It was an enormous event at the time.

If what you say about the apology is true, then that's proper order. That was certainly not the platform to air a personal grievance.

There was an apology. And rightly so. Disgrace that those two fooking nobodies allowed tear Barry’s achievements to shreds with nobody to challenge them..

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    There was an apology. And rightly so. Disgrace that those two fooking nobodies allowed tear Barry’s achievements to shreds with nobody to challenge them..

I should point out I really dislike both Brolly and Dunphy, they put me off RTE's GAA and soccer coverage but they're hardly nobodies in fairness.

Unless something libellous is said an apology really shouldn't need to be issued.

People get torn to shreds on TV without being challenged all the time.

Not being nice to somebody happens all the time in the media and an apology wasn't really necessary, Brolly and Dunphy have built their media careers on being trolls but now RTE ridiculously apologise for them doing what they were paid to do.

Advertisement