Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Brolly and Eamonn Dunphy are not fans of Barry McGuigan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I should point out I really dislike both Brolly and Dunphy, they put me off RTE's GAA and soccer coverage but they're hardly nobodies in fairness.

Unless something libellous is said an apology really shouldn't need to be issued.

People get torn to shreds on TV without being challenged all the time.

Not being nice to somebody happens all the time in the media and an apology wasn't really necessary, Brolly and Dunphy have built their media careers on being trolls but now RTE ridiculously apologise for them doing what they were paid to do.
    It wasnt really an apology in the sense of preventing a libel case, it was more saying Brollys comments werent in the spirit of the show, which was to highlight great sporting moments. Not nice for Mcguigan and his family to be watching at home proud of being included in the show, and then have some clown bad mouth you. And Brolly is a clown of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

AnneFrank wrote: »
    I agree with ea moan on this one, mcguigan and his son are shysters

Get back in the wardrobe! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

On the issue of barry mcguigans career

How did they screw-up so badly with that fight in the heat after being so careful in the build-up to world champion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Matt.ie

mikeysmith wrote:
    How did they screw-up so badly with that fight in the heat after being so careful in the build-up to world champion?

Barney Eastwood went for the money. ..

Mcguigan was a dirty boxer after winning the title.

I recall disliking him fairly quickly when I should have been celebrating him as a hero.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

megadodge wrote: »
    Well you'd be wrong then!

The entire country, outside of Kerry obviously, celebrated that win. It was an enormous event at the time.

If what you say about the apology is true, then that's proper order. That was certainly not the platform to air a personal grievance.

Fair enough so on Offaly.

On the apology I felt it was Brolly saying outright that he didn't like Barry which was just dumb and it looked like everything he was saying was said out of spite. Especially as he forgot to mention that Barry's next fight was a mid day/afternoon fight outside in Vegas in June where Barry was hospitalised with dehydration afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

The reason why Ray Houghtons goal or Barry Mcguigan were highlighted were that they were moments that united a country In victory and joy... Darbys goal was to gloat over a Kerry team not doing the 5 in a row ..it's a poor mind that tries to compare those events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 elmomcgrath

The reason why Ray Houghtons goal or Barry Mcguigan were highlighted were that they were moments that united a country In victory and joy... Darbys goal was to gloat over a Kerry team not doing the 5 in a row ..it's a poor mind that tries to compare those events

No it isn't.

The AI football final is this country's biggest annual sporting event whether you want to accept it or not.This year AI football final is the most watched TV program on Irish television this year.

As a result the greatest team of all time being beaten in the fashion they were is a massive sporting moment in this country's history.

Denying the greatness of Darby's goal as an Irish sporting moment is like dismissing the Patriots comeback in last years Superbowl as a great sporting moment in American sports history.

No it isn't.

The AI football final is this country's biggest annual sporting event whether you want to accept it or not.This year AI football final is the most watched TV program on Irish television this year.

As a result the greatest team of all time being beaten in the fashion they were is a massive sporting moment in this country's history.

Denying the greatness of Darby's goal as an Irish sporting moment is like dismissing the Patriots comeback in last years Superbowl as a great sporting moment in American sports history.

It celebrated what we as a nation are very good at, bregudgery....nobody remembers the game ..it is of no consequence to anyone...they do remember that Kerry didn't win the 5 in a row, that is reality

It celebrated what we as a nation are very good at, bregudgery....nobody remembers the game ..it is of no consequence to anyone...they do remember that Kerry didn't win the 5 in a row, that is reality

They remember the goal.

The goal is the moment.That is what the program is about.

Sporting moments are about drama and you don't get many irish sporting moments as dramatic as Seamus Darbys goal.

They remember the goal.

The goal is the moment.That is what the program is about.

Sporting moments are about drama and you don't get many irish sporting moments as dramatic as Seamus Darbys goal.

People don't remember the goal...they remember Darby jumping up and down, that's all.
    I can remember many better occasions.. Ray Houghtons goal, John Tracy crossing the line at the Olympics, Barry Mcguigan, Steve Collins beating Eubank, they were occasions that celebrate national kit and pride. Darbys goal is remembered because it stopped a great team doing something remarkable.....it's just shows the mindset of certain sections of the country...that's all I have to say on the matter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The best method for either of these two sensationalist clowns is just to ignore them, not mad on boxing (nothing against it either, just saw the thread on the front page) but I'd be a fairly big football fan and have not watched a minute of RTE studio punditry in 2014 (and have regularly turned off for over a decade) entirely down to the latter cretin, giving out about some 'useless' Argentinian defenders called Fernando I think it was who literally didn't exist while claiming to have been watching Colombia for years and labelling them a 'bunch of headless chickens who can't defend' (despite them having the best defensive record in South American qualifying for WC'14).

What they get paid big money for is no different than yer man with about 500 fake accounts on After Hours that loves to pop up every few days/weeks with some attention seeking on the cry-for-help levels of absurd about burning all the Muslims, Jews and gays and feeding their remains to their orphans (an exaggerated example, but basically just saying anything whatsoever to get attention with little care for or belief in what they are actually saying). It bewilders and astounds me how people continue to lap it up or given even an ounce of credence year after year after year after year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Matt.ie

People don't remember the goal...they remember Darby jumping up and down, that's all. I can remember many better occasions.. Ray Houghtons goal, John Tracy crossing the line at the Olympics, Barry Mcguigan, Steve Collins beating Eubank, they were occasions that celebrate national kit and pride. Darbys goal is remembered because it stopped a great team doing something remarkable.....it's just shows the mindset of certain sections of the country...that's all I have to say on the matter

People don't remember the goal itself?

After gathering the ball, Darby hit it with all his might with his left peg toward the top left hand corner of Charlie nelligans goal. The goals appeared big and still do each and every time I have seen this score. The shooting angle wasn't great but it whizzed over the multiple all Ireland winning goalkeeper for a terrific goal. It was incredible.

But what also adds to the goal was the build up. The commentary. The dilly dallying by offaly. I can still hear the country screaming at Sean lowery an Co to get on with it. Get the ball forward.
    People don't remember the goal?
    I do.

It was probably the greatest gaa moment of all time. Irelands greatest moment? It's up there.

As for Collins,fought the great eubank when he was on the wane same for Benn not his fault of course but it's true.

Matt.ie wrote: »
    People don't remember the goal itself?

After gathering the ball, Darby hit it with all his might with his left peg toward the top left hand corner of Charlie nelligans goal. The goals appeared big and still do each and every time I have seen this score. The shooting angle wasn't great but it whizzed over the multiple all Ireland winning goalkeeper for a terrific goal. It was incredible.

But what also adds to the goal was the build up. The commentary. The dilly dallying by offaly. I can still hear the country screaming at Sean lowery an Co to get on with it. Get the ball forward.
    People don't remember the goal?
    I do.

It was probably the greatest gaa moment of all time. Irelands greatest moment? It's up there.

As for Collins,fought the great eubank when he was on the wane same for Benn not his fault of course but it's true.

No truth in your meanderings at all

It was of course a very big moment (though personally I'd be of the opinion that international successes mean more) ad in isolation it's a really good ball in, but the goal itself isn't really all too special.

Also to add, this doesn't make a world of sense as Collins is only six months younger than Benn and is two years older than Eubank. Benn had only two losses and one draw in his previous 23 fights before Collins; the draw and one of the losses coming to Eubanks. Eubanks wasn't even 30 years of age when Collins beat him, at that point in his career was the champ and undefeated, then he went and won his next two fights after losing to Collins... until Collins beat him again... and then Eubanks went on to win his next two after that also.

Billy86 wrote: »
    It was of course a very big moment (though personally I'd be of the opinion that international successes mean more) ad in isolation it's a really good ball in, but the goal itself isn't really all too special.

The goal is brilliant in my opinion.If Darby decided to solo the ball and bring it in close for an easier finish it wouldn't have been so good.

The fact that he lets rip as soon as he catches the ball adds to the moment also the ball dips dramatically and it's an unusual looking finish.

Michael O'Hehir's commentary is incredible and it's one of the great pieces of irish sports commentary to go along with the great moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

.it's just shows the mindset of certain sections of the country...that's all I have to say on the matter

Oh the irony!!

You're displaying the other ugly mindset of large sections of this country - the Irish inferiority complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

Barney Eastwood went for the money. ..

Mcguigan was a dirty boxer after winning the title.

I recall disliking him fairly quickly when I should have been celebrating him as a hero.

What the actual f*ck???

megadodge wrote: »
    Oh the irony!!

You're displaying the other ugly mindset of large sections of this country - the Irish inferiority complex.

You're not very good at this are you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Barry’s title win would be known and remembered far more than an AA final moment from 1982. GAA fans or those who somewhat follow it will remember the goal, but overall, far more people in a general sense and general sporting sense know Barry’s name, his career and his Loftus road victory.

I know for a fact my friends and colleagues would much more be able to recount and remember Barry’s moment compared to the 1982 AA final..

• Advertisement

Barry’s name and moment is all Ireland and internationally known.. boxing known and sporting known and non sporting known as regards people...

Seamus Darby? Really, outside of sports fans and GAA fans next to nobody in Ireland could tell you who he is and what he did..they may have been able to tell you on the day in 1982 and shortly after..but not much after that. Barry’s name and moment is carved into our sporting memories. To sports fans and casual fans and non fans.

Yes, on the day that GAA moment was big.

walshb wrote: »
    Barry’s name and moment is all Ireland and internationally known.. boxing known and sporting known and non sporting known as regards people...

Seamus Darby? Really, outside of sports fans and GAA fans next to nobody in Ireland could tell you who he is and what he did..they may have been able to tell you on the day in 1982 and shortly after..but not much after that. Barry’s name and moment is carved into our sporting memories. To sports fans and casual fans and non fans.

The title of the program was IRELANDS greatest sporting moment.
    international recognition is completely irrelevant.

Seamus Darbys lack of general fame is irrelevant, again the title of the program is Ireland greatest sporting MOMENT therefore the fact that he is unknown outside of that MOMENT shows how big a MOMENT it was.The competition wasn't about Ireland most famous sports person.

This is the boxing forum so there is bound to be massive bias towards McGuigan but I don't think you are taking into account how popular Gaelic Games are and how big a moment in GAA history it was.

I'm pretty sure in 20 years time when this programme is done again I'm sure Stephen Cluxtons winning score in the 2011 all ireland will be high up on the list for the 2010's decade.

On the RTE website McGuigan has 8% of the vote so far, Darbys moment has 22%, second to Ray Houghtons goal.

McGuigans is bottom of the 5 nominated which also probably indicates he's not quite as popular as people here want to believe he is.

I get all that. Just making a point...

No bias because this is the boxing forum..

Barry’s moment is for me below Houghton and O’Leary’s moments in soccer..

I just happen to think it’s a bigger moment than the GAA. And you cannot dismiss fame and global recognition when making that claim, just like I didn’t dismiss it when putting Houghton and O’Leary’s moments ahead of Barry and Darby.

Barry was on the global stage in his moment, whilst representing Irish people. The whole country, and not just boxing fans. I don’t think Darby comes close in that sense.

The title of the program was IRELANDS greatest sporting moment.
    international recognition is completely irrelevant.

Seamus Darbys lack of general fame is irrelevant, again the title of the program is Ireland greatest sporting MOMENT therefore the fact that he is unknown outside of that MOMENT shows how big a MOMENT it was.The competition wasn't about Ireland most famous sports person.

This is the boxing forum so there is bound to be massive bias towards McGuigan but I don't think you are taking into account how popular Gaelic Games are and how big a moment in GAA history it was.

I'm pretty sure in 20 years time when this programme is done again I'm sure Stephen Cluxtons winning score in the 2011 all ireland will be high up on the list for the 2010's decade.

On the RTE website McGuigan has 8% of the vote so far, Darbys moment has 22%, second to Ray Houghtons goal.

McGuigans is bottom of the 5 nominated which also probably indicates he's not quite as popular as people here want to believe he is.

So Darbys goal isn't the greatest MOMENT according to the Irish public...took you a while, but yeah, you got there, well done

So Darbys goal isn't the greatest MOMENT according to the Irish public...took you a while, but yeah, you got there, well done

I never claimed it was.I just said it was a very big moment.It's just Darby's moment seemed to be an issue for some people on here and they don't seem to understand why it was so highly regarded.

I never claimed it was.I just said it was a very big moment.It's just Darby's moment seemed to be an issue for some people on here and they don't seem to understand why it was so highly regarded.

We all know why it's highly regarded...it's been stated many times...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Chivito550 wrote: »
    One of them (Brolly I think) referred to Barry losing to Cruz who they called a journeyman. What they didn’t mention was the barbaric temperature he fought that fight in.

Anybody know of any history between Brolly and McGuigan? Fairly appalling to say on live TV that he doesn’t like him.
    I think it’s cos Barry was pushing the whole peace and reconciliation stuff while Joes “people” were still engaged in the futile “armed struggle”. So Barry makes people like joe look like slow learners. And people like joe don’t like looking like slow learners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

I was talking about my own personal favourite moment ? Or you telling me what mine can and cant be :eek:

My personal moment was the day I scored 4-2 against Robert Emmets, or maybe when I got 2-1 in the first 5 minutes against Buncrana in the county qf. Could get a bit silly if we’re just doing personal moments😂😉

harpsman wrote: »
    I think it’s cos Barry was pushing the whole peace and reconciliation stuff while Joes “people” were still engaged in the futile “armed struggle”. So Barry makes people like joe look like slow learners. And people like joe don’t like looking like slow learners

The armed struggled wasn't futile, it's what finally brought about equal treatment for the nationalist population in the north whether people want to admit it or not.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »

As someone without much interest in either boxing or GAA, I can absolutely agree with this. I was born in 1986 and knew who McGuigan was as far back as I knew who Sonya O'Sullivan, Eddie Irvine or anyone on the early/mid 90s football team was. I've seen the Darby goal here and there down the years and it was a huge moment in GAA but it's not even near the level of accolade that McGuigan's was.

Also to be a pedant, I thought the keeper could have done a lot better on the goal and the commentator's voice is in my opinion absolutely awful - but that's just me. :p

Advertisement