Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Brolly and Eamonn Dunphy are not fans of Barry McGuigan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes, I’m not disagreeing fundamentally, just that the whole “spirit” of the thing seems lame to me and part of the reason the apology feels equally lame and next to pointless.

If he was so inclined I think Barry, with just cause, needed to tackle it directly and not have RTE do his bidding in such an ineffectual way. Does he leave it now that Brolly has produced an encore? Maybe he should. Hard to win any battle against the motormouth.

It's simple. If Barry made the complaint, then all it is is letting RTE know that the actions of Brolly and Dunphy did not go unnoticed or unchallenged..

Not sure why you think that their apology was ineffectual. It made them act and made them admit it was wrong.

That is how I would tackle it. No need for further tit for tat. Brolly and Dunphy behaved badly. It did not go unnoticed, and the national broadcaster was pulled up on it, resulting in them acknowledging the behavior of Brolly and Dunphy.

That is a result IMO.....

Brolly can then keep letting us know what a pr1ck he is by coming back acting like a pr1ck...

BTW, I am sure there was/were complaint(s) about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

My issue is Brolly was wrong and boneheaded in what he said but not so much an apology needed to be issued on his behalf for it. What line did he cross? He transgressed the “spirit” of the show apparently. How more nebulous can you get.

I don’t know who was chairing the discussion, but s/he had ample opportunity to step in and pull both of them up on their rants. That’s where the failure lay, imo, and where any apology should be sourced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

My issue is Brolly was wrong and boneheaded in what he said but not so much an apology needed to be issued on his behalf for it. What line did he cross? He transgressed the “spirit” of the show apparently. How more nebulous can you get.

I don’t know who was chairing the discussion, but s/he had ample opportunity to step in and pull both of them up on their rants. That’s where the failure lay, imo, and where any apology should be sourced.[/QUOTE]

Des Cahill was and as I remember he did mention on the night that Brolly had overstepped the mark.

I don’t know who was chairing the discussion, but s/he had ample opportunity to step in and pull both of them up on their rants. That’s where the failure lay, imo, and where any apology should be sourced.

They apologized for the behaviour. End of. It was right to be complained about, challenged and then corrected/apologized for. They didn't do it on the night, but they had to after.....

In other words they din't "get away" with it....to me that is sweet!

BTW, did they issue an apology on his behalf? That would imply that "he is sorry." I did not get that. My understanding was RTE issued an apology on their behalf for the behavior of Brolly.

All this shows to me is the incalculable loss of Bill oherlihy to RTE sport and their failure to find more of his ilk. Bill liked to drum up his fair share of debate but he knew instinctively where the lines were drawn and wouldn’t have failed to take the two boxing “experts” to task, whatever his own personal feelings on the subject.

• Advertisement

I don’t know who was chairing the discussion, but s/he had ample opportunity to step in and pull both of them up on their rants. That’s where the failure lay, imo, and where any apology should be sourced.[/QUOTE]

Des Cahill was and as I remember he did mention on the night that Brolly had overstepped the mark.

Ok if he did, then that’s fair enough.

walshb wrote: »
    They apologized for the behaviour. End of. It was right to be complained about, challenged and then corrected/apologized for. They didn't do it on the night, but they had to after.....

In other words they din't "get away" with it....to me that is sweet!

BTW, did they issue an apology on his behalf? That would imply that "he is sorry." I did not get that. My understanding was RTE issued an apology on their behalf for the behavior of Brolly.

Feels a bit like a station apologizing for an athlete saying Fck on camera, they have to do it but what’s the point really?

Feels a bit like a station apologizing for an athlete saying Fck on camera, they have to do it but what’s the point really?

Come on. It's not like (or doesn't feel like that) that at all.....there are slips of the tongue and there is Brolly and his carry on..

Come on. It's not like (or doesn't feel like that) that at all.....there are slips of the tongue and there is Brolly and his carry on..

It does to me anyway, just a bit. Cos damage was already done and apology is just going through the motions. But if, as was alluded earlier, the presenter did confront Brolly, then that’s something. I only saw the video segments of Brolly and dunphy spouting their diatribe.

It does to me anyway, just a bit. Cos damage was already done and apology is just going through the motions. But if, as was alluded earlier, the presenter did confront Brolly, then that’s something. I only saw the video segments of Brolly and dunphy spouting their diatribe.

Well, for me it is not going through the motions. It shows me that they did not get away with it and were pulled on it and forced to accept it as wrong. So what is it was not on the night? The main thing is is was shown up!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You can dismiss or question or even criticize in a respectable and stylish manner....whilst putting across valid and analysed points.

I think Ruby was dismissive of Houghton's USA '94 moment. He did it in a decent and spirited way.

Brolly simply went on a character assassination and could not hide his disdain for Barry. Dunphy , although not as hostile, was still out of line....

Hence it was in bad taste and against the spirit of the show.

What you mean by Barry being big enough to fight his own battles should what Brolly be saying is true?

If Barry contacted to complain he was spot on to do so.

Yeah I agree, Ruby made his points well even if you disagreed with them.

Brolly straight out said he just didn't like Barry at one stage which makes everything he said look very biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Morrison J wrote: »

Brolly really is a sack of slimy shyte

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Anyway, back on topic I think Houghton or O'Leary's moments were the best and most memorable and widely known and loved.

Just a pity it wasn't an Irishman scoring against England in Stuttgart.
    Ray is Irish. In this day and age that is quite the statement. His dad was born in Donegal therefore Ray is automatically an Irish citizen.

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Ray is Irish. In this day and age that is quite the statement. His dad was born in Donegal therefore Ray is automatically an Irish citizen.

Irish my arse!

Like several others on those teams...England B team....

Or Scottish B team in Ray’s case...

Irish my arse!

Ray is Irish! I’m best friends with his cousin!

But that doesn’t suit the cheap narrative

Ray is Irish! I’m best friends with his cousin!

But that doesn’t suit the cheap narrative

He was born in Scotland and was not reared in Ireland...

His dad is Irish. Big deal...

He was born in Scotland and was not reared in Ireland...
    His dad is Irish. Big deal...

Actually it is a big deal. As you are well aware, due to economic or personal circumstances, many Irish people emigrated to other countries. Are you saying that their children or grandchildren should not be considered as Irish citizens if they are legally entitled to Irish passports? This is not just confined to the Ireland squad either. Many of the current top European sides also have players whose parents or grandparents were born in other countries.

Actually it is a big deal. As you are well aware, due to economic or personal circumstances, many Irish people emigrated to other countries. Are you saying that their children or grandchildren should not be considered as Irish citizens if they are legally entitled to Irish passports? This is not just confined to the Ireland squad either. Many of the current top European sides also have players whose parents or grandparents were born in other countries.

I'll meet you half way. He's more Irish than the players whose grannies and granddads were Irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Ray is not Irish he's Scottish,
    He's a plastic paddy, qualified to play for Ireland, but not Irish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Don't know if it's the same for anyone else but each time I read the word "Ray" in this thread I keep automatically thinking of Sugar Ray Leonard as we are in a boxing forum after all.

Irish my arse!

You should really travel more and educate yourself as to the definition of Irishness. What you say here is insulting and maybe you are a troll but what I pointed previously is a fact that is in our constitution. Ray is Irish courtesy of his parent's place of birth.
    As pointed out other nations have players representing them through parents and grandparents.
    Did you celebrate when Ray scored against ingerland and Italy? Or were you old enough then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

You should really travel more and educate yourself as to the definition of Irishness. What you say here is insulting and maybe you are a troll but what I pointed previously is a fact that is in our constitution. Ray is Irish courtesy of his parent's place of birth.
    As pointed out other nations have players representing them through parents and grandparents.
    Did you celebrate when Ray scored against ingerland and Italy? Or were you old enough then?

Walshb has a firm, but funny stance on nationality.
    Matthew Macklin (English born to two Irish parents and has Irish citizenship), is British in his view, however Andy Lee (English born to two Irish parents and has Irish citizenship) is Irish.

I think he views Dereck Chisora as British, to further confuse the matter :confused:

I don’t consider him Irish. Reasons given. Nothing to do with trolling, so quit that nonsense...

Plenty criteria one can consider and choose to use for their view on whether someone is Irish or not. Not speaking about legalities or constitutions here. I’m a bit more old skool!

Big Ears: Lee absolutely qualifies via his attachments and achievements here. He lived here for good period of his life. Parents Irish and won Irish titles...

Macklin? Fook off.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Brolly is a bitter fool prone to bizarre rants and Dunphy was actually slurring his words. He's like a caricature of himself at this stage.

Brolly is a bitter fool prone to bizarre rants and Dunphy was actually slurring his words. He's like a caricature of himself at this stage.

I don`t remember him doing that on the night but, if he was, it wouldn't be the first time he has appeared on TV in that condition.

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Ray is not Irish he's Scottish,
    He's a plastic paddy, qualified to play for Ireland, but not Irish

If you are being pedantic Scottish isn’t a nationality, it’s irish or British

I don’t consider him Irish. Reasons given. Nothing to do with trolling, so quit that nonsense...

Plenty criteria one can consider and choose to use for their view on whether someone is Irish or not. Not speaking about legalities or constitutions here. I’m a bit more old skool!

Big Ears: Lee absolutely qualifies via his attachments and achievements here. He lived her for s good period of his life. Parents Irish and won Irish titles...

Macklin? Fook off.....
    Sadly the only nonsense is coming from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

I'd be quite interested in hearing from those who disparage Seamus Darby's goal as a memorable moment, what they think about James McClean getting RTE's sportsperson of the year for 2017?

• Advertisement

Ewan MacKenna discusses the award in the indo...

Good read. Can’t link it...

He also “slates” Katie as 2017 most overrated athlete. Surprisingly, I agree. The praise/fawning for Katie is way OTT I think, and is a little insulting almost..he says why..

McClean, a run of the mill average skilled soccer player getting the award is simply due to public awareness.

Advertisement