Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

90 minutes teaching per week

Options
  • 16-11-2017 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hoping someone can give me some guidance. My partner is on JA, I and my child are named under his claim, he is hoping to begin his own business early next year and hoping to qualify for the enterprise allowance. I have just finished a yoga teacher training course myself and hoped to begin teaching one weekly class (90 minutes) to begin with for four weeks, very soon, to see what interest there may be in my small locality. I can't say if I will actually earn any money from this class and I will have to pay rent for a hall and have equipment costs too to begin with so will likely be at a loss. My questions are, will we lose a days social payment if I teach a class even if I make no or very little money, is it based on how much you make or is it automatically a day taken away? Will my partners chance of getting on the enterprise scheme be jeopardised? Do I have to declare myself a sole trader straight away? I feel there would be little incentive if we are cut a full days payment at this stage and I would be best to wait until he is on the scheme if this is the case but I am hoping I can build an interest in the classes and have a viable part time income eventually to help contribute when my partner will be looking to build his business. I am also eager to gain experience in teaching after paying for my course. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

I teach 2 evenings a week, a total of 3 hours as self employed and I have been cut 2 full days each week. I get the casual worker dockets and send them in each week and my reduced payment is lodged to my bank. I give them an expected timetable of the class and any records I have such as room bookings, student registrations etc. Like you I end up making no money at all from the classes (money taken minus costs minus deducted SW payment equals zero) but do it for self esteem, to show future employers I'm not happy being unemployed and to keep a constant record of employment on my CV.

Its a toss up really

Advertisement