Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut problems

• 16-11-2017 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Has anyone had problems with the exchange rate from Revolut?

I checked the exchange rate before buying an iPhone from Apple UK on Sunday.

£799 GBP was €898.82 EUR and I made the purchase immediately but the amount charged was €908.19.

I've been on to Revolut but they're claiming there's a weekend rate levy due to the markets being closed but I don't accept this - the in-app calculated amount should apply.

I'm getting nowhere with online support so thinking of making a formal complaint.

Has anyone had similar issues?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JimPa

Were you aware of the weekend levy? Obviously spending larger amounts in a foreign currency at the weekend should be avoided with Revolut. Or just change euros to sterling before the weekend.

You live and learn. Not sure this one is worth of a formal complaint. They offer a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

They always have a spread at weekends not a big deal. You should of locked in the exchange rate before you bought

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

Why didn't the displayed amount reflect this then?

it would be fairer if the calculator wasn't available at weekends than to display the incorrect amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JimPa

I don;'t think removing the calculator at weekends is the answer.
    The exchange calculation you made was independent to the actual transaction yeah? The exchange rate is showing you the general exchange rate. In fairness they have no idea what you are calculating or when or if you'll make the actual transaction.

There is argument that they should remind you before weekend transactions that you will be charged a levy. But to be fair this doesn't happen with any other bank either. Use your BOI or AIB card and you'll have no idea what they'll be charging you.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

JimPa wrote: »
    The exchange calculation you made was independent to the actual transaction yeah? The exchange rate is showing you the general exchange rate. In fairness they have no idea what you are calculating or when or if you'll make the actual transaction.

No it was the in-app exchange calculator.
    JimPa wrote: »
    There is argument that they should remind you before weekend transactions that you will be charged a levy. But to be fair this doesn't happen with any other bank either. Use your BOI or AIB card and you'll have no idea what they'll be charging you.

The in-app calculator should be accurate - the amount displayed would be the amount charged, inclusive of any weekend spread levy or whatever else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Are you sure you site you purchased from didn't do the conversion for you? If they did they add commission to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Carnmore wrote: »

The in-app calculator should be accurate - the amount displayed would be the amount charged, inclusive of any weekend spread levy or whatever else.

It has been anytime I've checked at the weekend. Weekdays it pretty much mirrors XE - at the weekend it's slightly worse

Advertisement