Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd hand bookshops?

• 16-11-2017 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering are there any left in the City? I like browsing them and looking for bargains to keep me going. Also the kids are big into reading now so kids/teens books are a bonus.

Used to be a big enough one on little Catherine street - has this closed down now? Was locked last time I called......

I know some of the charity shops do books too, do ye know of any with a good selection?

Would also go anywhere within a reasonable travel distance - say 30-40 mins drive?

Thanks!

PS - I think the milk market is another option on Sat mornings - Are there any good car boot sales on anywhere too though?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Mango Joe wrote:
    Used to be a big enough one on little Catherine street - has this closed down now? Was locked last time I called......

When was the last time you called? :P

Phil's books on Anne Street is probably the only dedicated second hand bookshop in Limerick. As you say the charity stores would like to stock a selection. The likes of O'Mahonys or Easons do have a bargain section also, which can be really cheap, worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Isn't the one on Little Catherine Street now the Knock Shrine shop? Be careful about sending your kids into that place. They might come out believing in all kinds of rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Coill1

Not a bookshop- but nice local fella runs a second hand book stall at the Milk Market on a Saturday morning outside Smyths / Angel Lane
    Great value & good banter thrown in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Mango Joe wrote:
    Just wondering are there any left in the City? I like browsing them and looking for bargains to keep me going. Also the kids are big into reading now so kids/teens books are a bonus.

I know it's not a bookshop per se but the collection of teen/kids book in the city and Doordaoyle library are great. They really do a great job of replenishing stocks regularly so there is something different to read all the time.

Coill1 wrote:
    Not a bookshop- but nice local fella runs a second hand book stall at the Milk Market on a Saturday morning outside Smyths / Angel Lane Great value & good banter thrown in!

Love this stall 😊

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

zulutango wrote: »
    Isn't the one on Little Catherine Street now the Knock Shrine shop?

The downstairs section was selling religious stuff for years while the bookshop operated upstairs (with a door opposote Bean A'Tí, next to that entrance to Guiney's). I don't know if anything has moved into the upstairs section since the bookshop closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

I often wondered why Limerick seems to not be able to spport a Charlie Byrnes type operation ( like Galway) , or Vibes and Scribes Or Time Traveller's Bookshop in Cork.
    Ennis has Sceal Eile who are excellent, as well as another smaller one ( Oxfam, but fairly decent) on Parnell street , ennis.
    The Limerick Oxfam has a 3-4 metre section in the William street one, littel else.
    One of the ( many ) things the city is missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

There was one on Henry Street, across from the old Henry Cecil, haven't seen it open in a good while. There was also one down near the roundhouse pub. Probably 2 years since I was in there. It was a grubby place, you felt like you needed a shower after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Do people still read books? Speaking as a Kindle reader :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There was also one down near the roundhouse pub. Probably 2 years since I was in there. It was a grubby place, you felt like you needed a shower after.

I think I remember that one. They were one of the last shops in Limerick to stop selling Sega Mega Drive games. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

The one by the Roundhouse closed down - the owner died, far as I know. It had to be the most disorganised place I've ever been in-
    random magazines mixed with books, odd bits, lots of stuff fit only for a skip. Good enough location though, esp with teh market on saturday. Dineens bookshop on Henry Street was left semi vacant for a long time, and recently enough was cleared out, presumably for resale or new use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement