Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disc brakes and racing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

There's every need. You think F1 or any other motorsport would go back and use drum brakes given the choice??
    The performance is so much better they should be mandatory, never mind simply just starting to allow them, especially at pro level.

I have never found my rim brakes wanting. Bike racing is not motor sport, it's very, very, very different. Making them mandatory means you exclude all of us who can't afford a new bike from competing.

They're not necessary, and it's going to be an uncomfortable few years of adjustment in bunches.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was actually thinking the opposite, when I ride in the bunch I stick within a few cm of the wheel in front. So far I have reacted quick to any braking. My concern was if discs gave that sudden jolt of a stop, then many riders used to close riding wouldn't have time. More to do with riders pulling brakes unnecessarily, which again, I imagine, is more an issue with A4s over others.

Probably over concerned, I certainly won't be getting a new bike no matter the route chosen.

Maybe I ride to close to other riders?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I am behind the times here... Are road bikes with discs using mechanical or hydraulic? Or is it both depending on budget?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depends on budget. i'm in the middle; hybrid, cable operated hydraulic brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

depends on budget. i'm in the middle; hybrid, cable operated hydraulic brakes.

Didn't know this was a thing, will check them out, not for a road bike but something else that is limited to cable lever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

mloc123 wrote: »
    Didn't know this was a thing, will check them out, not for a road bike but something else that is limited to cable lever
    Giant sell them as a conversion kit. Not sure whether they work with any brand, but I looked into it to convert my mechanical braked defy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the ones i have are TRP hy-rd. work with my standard 105 levers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I am behind the times here... Are road bikes with discs using mechanical or hydraulic? Or is it both depending on budget?

A bit of a "mis-match" at the moment but, like mountain bikes, I would expect it to be almost exclusively hydraulic within a few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I find a really big difference between hydraullic and cable disc brakes. I won't get another cable disc brake bike, would prefer rim brakes to cable disc.

I may be under a misapprehension because the one bike i had with cable discs was shortly after discs became a thing, so perhaps they have both improved. also it was a hybrid for commuting and so the components were pretty low end, but i have bought a few hybrids with hydraullic discs since (for teh kids as well as myself) and notice a big difference. With hydraullics you can fine tune your braking, with cable it is more all or nothing - not quite but no fine control.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

CramCycle wrote: »
    I was actually thinking the opposite, when I ride in the bunch I stick within a few cm of the wheel in front. So far I have reacted quick to any braking. My concern was if discs gave that sudden jolt of a stop, then many riders used to close riding wouldn't have time. More to do with riders pulling brakes unnecessarily, which again, I imagine, is more an issue with A4s over others.

Probably over concerned, I certainly won't be getting a new bike no matter the route chosen.

Maybe I ride to close to other riders?

While discs do stop quicker for me the modulation is the big win for me, I have been left wanting for rim brakes on quite a few occasions especially on full carbon wheels

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

the ones i have are TRP hy-rd. work with my standard 105 levers.

There are also Juin Tech R1s or the newer X1s as an option. R1s are kind of cheap enough.

I'm hunting down some hy-rds at present.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Rugby123innow

Crocked wrote: »
    I thought the reason for banning them was due to different braking performance.

In a bunch on wet roads, one lad is braking on carbon clinchers and another is on discs. Going to get very messy, very quickly.

Joke

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'm hunting down some hy-rds at present.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057886251

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Seventies - Apparently were misery came home to roost
    Fian wrote: »
    I find a really big difference between hydraullic and cable disc brakes. I won't get another cable disc brake bike, would prefer rim brakes to cable disc.

I may be under a misapprehension because the one bike i had with cable discs was shortly after discs became a thing, so perhaps they have both improved. also it was a hybrid for commuting and so the components were pretty low end, but i have bought a few hybrids with hydraullic discs since (for teh kids as well as myself) and notice a big difference. With hydraullics you can fine tune your braking, with cable it is more all or nothing - not quite but no fine control.

Bb7s are the only cable discs worth bothering with, used to be popular before the cost of hydro brakes plummeted. Not even sure if you can still get them.

Modulation is a feature of each brake model and how well bedded in, you should really bed in disc brakes on a bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not a summer has gone by it seems where Borderfox is selling something I am actually looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Going to update my view as I've new rim brake bike since. In the dry I see little difference between Ultegra Calipers and the mechanical discs. In the wet, the discs make a noticeable difference. I do have ongoing issues with brake rub (from on and off the direct driver turbo) with the discs, and the bads seem to get contaminated pretty quick on wet winter roads, resulting in regular squeals from the brakes. The rim brakes are just easier for me to manage/ maintain.
    Mech discs are a poor brake, even the most basic mountain bike will ship with hydraulic discs these days.
    I have a few thousand km's on my hybrid with never a squeak.
    Just be careful when oiling your chain or lubing any part of the bike, and don't over do it.
    If you do get a squeal, which my mountain bike will do, whip the pads out and stick them in the oven and bake the crap out of them. Works like a charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Diemos wrote: »
    Mech discs are a poor brake, even the most basic mountain bike will ship with hydraulic discs these days.
    Will try that. I do think it's not cleaning the rotors as well. Like I said earlier, I find the mechanical discs better than ultegra rims in the wet. No difference in the dry. Have hydraulic on my mtb.

If you have access to a heat gun, I've found it useful when cleaning pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

Disc brake use approved from today july 1st by cycling ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

wav1 wrote: »

Can't see myself affording a new bike with disc brakes so it's standard for me till I'm finished racing.
    Interesting to see how it all works out at lower levels all the same.

• Advertisement

Finally found the inspiration I needed to get out of A4

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

€2399 for 2018 disc equivalent of my current bike but I'd likely need wheels as well which becomes a Del Boy style transaction process of buying, selling and B2W voucher, not sure if i want that hassle.

As someone just pointed out to me, the potential flooding of the market with decent second hand rim brake gear could be a blessing in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Nineties - Welcome to the internet
    https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1013347168483192832

Cycling Ireland
    @IreCyclingFed
    **IMPORTANT NOTICE**
    ⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️
    Last night the board of Cycling Ireland approved the use of disc brakes in all races, effective from today, 1st July.

More to follow.

2:02 AM - 1 Jul 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

wav1 wrote: »

Is this true wav? heading to bogman at the weekend, would love to do it on my cx bike!

It appears so!! The timing could not be better! anyone wanna buy a discless road bike?

As someone just pointed out to me, the potential flooding of the market with decent second hand rim brake gear could be a blessing in disguise.
    25sean wrote: »
    Is this true wav? heading to bogman at the weekend, would love to do it on my cx bike!

It appears so!! The timing could not be better! anyone wanna buy a discless road bike?
    And so it begins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Nineties - Welcome to the internet
    surely any new bike would have to have a single front chainring as well after sunday ?

surely any new bike would have to have a single front chainring as well after sunday ?

To be fair in the last few races I have gotten very lazy and just cross chained pretty much all the time. I'd have no issue with a single front chainring on domestic races, the smaller chainring is just for show or desperation at this point.

Would anyone have any objections to putting up a second poll asking are you going to use discs on the road in this season or next, just to see is there going to be a mass conversion?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

To be fair in the last few races I have gotten very lazy and just cross chained pretty much all the time. I'd have no issue with a single front chainring on domestic races, the smaller chainring is just for show or desperation at this point.

My little chainring gets plenty of action, hilly races are not my friend. Plenty of cross chaining also.

Advertisement