Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning smell from new shower installed?

Options
  • 16-11-2017 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭

Hi

A few months ago we got some company in to install a new electric shower, new bath and toilet.

The plumbing was not great as had quite a few leaks and they took a long time to get out to do the job and then to return to fix the leaks. The kitchen ceiling is still stained from some leaks.

The shower generally works ok although it seems to need to be set on a specific odd setting to work at an ok temperature. There are two clockwise dials and the top needs to be turned all the way to blue and bottom all the way to red. Anything else and its scolding hot. Im not sure if this due to the shower unit or if it was installed incorrectly.

Anyways, we just now that the main fuse box in the hall where they put in a new switch for the shower is giving off a burning smell.

It smells to me like burning plastic. My mother noticed the same a few days ago when someone else was in the shower.

I also tested it again with the shower running and the smell was returning within about 15 minutes of the shower running.

Given that this company seemed somewhat less than competent, we are worried that there are wires getting burnt and risk of fire from continued use of the shower.

Could this be just because it a new switch and could be considered normal in the short term or should i be getting and electrician to take a look?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It is a fire hazard. Turn it off at the board. Get a (different) qualified electrician to check it out ASAP. Do not use in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

2011 wrote: »
    It is a fire hazard. Turn it off at the board. Get a (different) qualified electrician to check it out ASAP. Do not use in the meantime.

Just to reiterate what 2011 said
    You need this checked asap
    It may be a separate issue at your db though with the increased load from your shower
    Get it checked asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

meercat wrote: »
    Just to reiterate what 2011 said
    You need this checked asap
    It may be a separate issue at your db though with the increased load from your shower
    Get it checked asap.

Thanks, looks like thats advice worth taking. I was wondering if i was being overly cautious or not.

Is this a problem that any qualified electrician should be able to identify?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

lightspeed wrote: »
    Thanks, looks like thats advice worth taking. I was wondering if i was being overly cautious or not.

Is this a problem that any qualified electrician should be able to identify?

Yes. You need a registered electrical contractor to check your fuse board. Only a rec is permitted by law. Did your previous electrician provide a certificate for your shower installation. He should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

This is much more likely due to the the ways it was installed rather than a fault with the shower.

As said above I'd get a different REC to examine this and definitely don't use in the meantime. Turn off at the pull cord switch or fuse itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I had this issue a few years ago, was a loose wire in the shower, smelled like burning cabbage, mate is a sparks, 2 minute tightening job and all was good, just make sure it someone who knows what they are doing and not some cowboy

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Well we got an electrician out who fixed the issue. He said as a rule of thumb when your adding and new switch to the main board, you would change the fuse.

The fuse in the main board was in it since house was built over 20 year ago so with when them other guys added the switch for the electric shower, the fuse could not handle it and started to melt.

I could see the burn marks were it had melted when he took the old fuse off. He replaced it now with what he said is a stronger brand.

I'll be more careful in future now to make sure im using a registered electrician in future.

The guy who put the shower may well have been registered and competent but just doing a rush job. They took along time getting out to do the work and the younger guys said they were going to several jobs and working to midnight sometimes.

Advertisement