Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway city tonight

Options
  • 17-11-2017 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

I love this city, i come here once a month with my job, its honestly the best city in ireland...

I dont scare or get shocked easily.

But tonight, what an absolute disgrace, the behaviour of these so called students in the city, running around, intimitading people, being refused from every pub that i could see, peeing on the streets, vomiting on the streets, walking into shoppers, walking in the middle of the roads as cars were traveling in rush hour, starting fights with bouncers etc.

The absolute shame on you, a disgrace to yourselves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Check the other thread Christmas jumper Thursday . Today was a nightmare in Galway.... the intimidation and abuse is horrific

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Sounds like race week if you ask me.

Except people won't be the easily scapegoatable students, and will be wearing suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The only hassle I had yesterday was having to step onto a busyish road to avoid three middle-aged ladies walking three abreast on the footpath, who made no attempt to step aside. It's a disgrace, Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Last night was a pale imitation of Race Week or Rag Week. Still painful if you happened to be in the student zone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Sounds horrific, race week that is..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It was a busyish night, but let's not lose the run of ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Never get people who constantly give out about race week. It mainly started off the back of a pretentious chef who, seeking some attention, said it was rag week for adults and he was closing his three restaurants the following year for the week. He closed one and that was to save a bit of face, doubt he will close any this year.

Race week is a huge boost to the local economy and for an event of its size, there is rarely any serious hassle. Thursday is a messy night and that's because it's ladies day so tends to attract the younger crowd. Even at that, the Irish times did a piece on the Thursday last year that basically concluded it was messy rather than dangerous.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/galway-races-after-dark-no-city-for-old-men-and-women-1.3178278%3fmode=amp

The bank holiday weekend following ladies day is usually brilliant, town packed with mid 20s to older generations, no hassle at all.

Yet some people still moan about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This has nothing to do with race week?

But nice rant all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

MadYaker wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with race week?

But nice rant all the same.

Clearly I was responding to comments above that were complaining about race week. Maybe read the thread before calling a post a rant,cheers.

Arghus wrote: »
    It was a busyish night, but let's not lose the run of ourselves.

Losing the run? Someone grabbing me and screaming in my face on the walk home
    Is ok? Banging on doors and windows all night long? Wing mirrors broken off cars

Cop on. They can drink all they like but the big issue is the total disregard for other ppl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

ArtyC wrote: »
    Losing the run? Someone grabbing me and screaming in my face on the walk home
    Is ok? Banging on doors and windows all night long? Wing mirrors broken off cars

Cop on. They can drink all they like but the big issue is the total disregard for other ppl

Sorry to hear that you suffered because of some idiotic drunken behaviour. I agree, it shouldn't happen.

But my post was a response to the insane hyperbole of the OP. The shame! The shame! Why they never saw the likes!

I wonder where has this person been their entire life. Have they ever visited Galway during Race Week? Most busy weekends? Or anywhere in Ireland on Paddy's day?

Everything gets overblown, always, when it comes to students. It's a disgrace Joe! Drinking in the street in Ireland - and wearing jumpers to boot! Well I never!

Last night was a crazy night for sure, but even last night doesn't compare to the rag weeks of yesteryear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If this is bad god help these innocents when Rag Week comes around.

Have to laugh at the few race week haters that always show up in these threads. I've been on the streets of Galway every race week for many many years and always have an absolutely brilliant time, and never see any more hassle than on any random night in any city which considering the crowds is an achievement. Race week and Christmas week are my two favourite weeks of the year by a mile.

I'm living Galway city centre over ten years. I know I 'that my convenient location will have noise . This day was beyond any other official or non official student event. The aggression and abuse was rife ..... I'm not some innnocent. But some cop on wouldn't go amiss . Happy ****ing Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Ficheall wrote: »
    The only hassle I had yesterday was having to step onto a busyish road to avoid three middle-aged ladies walking three abreast on the footpath, who made no attempt to step aside. It's a disgrace, Joe.

Women! :rolleyes:

Next time just walk on the inside of the path - that way they have no choice but to step aside into single file to let you past.

Advertisement