Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outer Gear Cable Casing Help Needed

Options
  • 17-11-2017 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering where I would get a replacement outer for the section between the derailleur and frame (inner cable routing). See attached images, a barrel adjuster which I have goes on to the end with threads before connecting to derailleur.

The end "bits" don't seem to come off so I'm presuming they are part of the casing.

What is this section called if I'm searching and where could I get it ?

The hole where the cable goes into the frame is quite big and a normal cable outer end cap disappears into it. I can still use whats shown in the photos but as I'm putting on new shifters and cables anyway it may be no harm changing this section too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

You should be able to buy standard outer cables in one or two meter lengths and then cut to size. Separate end caps are also available. Sometimes age/gunk/damage makes them difficult to remove ; that's not normally a worry as they are quite cheap.

If you've shimano cables, have a look at these as an example on chainreaction.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/s?q=shimano+sp41+road-mtb+outer+gear+casing&cat=product

and

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-outer-brake-casing-cap/rp-prod131351

'hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

On the last picture, shouldn't the silver part have stayed on the frame somewhere? That looks like an adjuster barrel and the cable outer (with end piece) should pull out of that so you would be left with just a piece of outer with a cap on each end.

You could get this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lifeline-essential-gear-cable-set/rp-prod155258

which would include all the parts to replace the whole gear cable inner and outer if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

one tip - if you're replacing gear outers, make sure you buy gear outers and not brake ones. Gear ones are stronger as they are under tension most of the time, and gear ones won't work properly. I found that out the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

On the last picture, shouldn't the silver part have stayed on the frame somewhere? That looks like an adjuster barrel and the cable outer (with end piece) should pull out of that so you would be left with just a piece of outer with a cap on each end.

You could get this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lifeline-essential-gear-cable-set/rp-prod155258

which would include all the parts to replace the whole gear cable inner and outer if needed.

Yes the silver part is part of a barrel adjuster and from your link I see that CRC call the black plastic bit that goes into it a cable O ring. So I gather the system is just stiff and at this end the cable housing goes into the cable O ring which in turn goes into the end of the barrel adjuster.

At the other end (picture 2) it looks like the housing goes into an O ring which in turn goes into a cap with an outer diameter 6-7 mm and an 9mm endpiece which stops it disappearing into the frame. I gather it should all come apart with a bit of force and I can replace the housing and O rings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The silver threaded "bolt" looks like the adjuster from your derailleur, you'll need to remove it from the outer cable - as hard as that might be it should be easier than sourcing a new one. Best to clean it out too and also maybe grease the inside of it before fitting your new gear cable - if the cable outer can't rotate within that adjuster then you can't use it for its purpose of adjusting gear cable tension which would make your life difficult.

Can't tell about the sleeve on the other end of the cable outer. I don't recall seeing one like that before, which would lead me to thinkg that it's unique to your bike and therefore not part of the outer cable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was going to sat i've some spare cable housing left over from when i replaced mine a while back, but then i noticed you're on the wrong side of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Thanks guys, have loads of spare cable housing, its just a case of how to use it

Advertisement