Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Hoka One Ones Clifton 4 cause back problems?

• 17-11-2017 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭

The past month I have had three episodes of pain in mid left side of back after jogging two days consecutively. It happens towards the end of the second run and the pain lasts until the next day if I don't take pain relief.
    Its quite sharp and kind of goes into the side of the abdomen as well.

The only thing I have done differently is started wearing Hoka one one Clifton 4 to
    alleviate heel pain believe it or not.

I'm not looking for medical advice, more asking opinions on whether a running shoe can cause that kind of problem if it effects the gait.
    The shoe has quite a platform but is excellent for the heel problem I was having.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

S.L.F. wrote: »
    whether a running shoe can cause that kind of problem
    Can it? Sure, of course. Even minor changes can introduce massive variations elsewhere, depending on your personal biomechanics.

Does it? No-one can answer that, short a team of physiologists to examine you. Run your own experiment. If you stop running in them and the pain goes away, it probably was the Hokas

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭LastFridayNight

I have the Clifton 4. Those shoes have I think around 5mm drop. Depending on your previous shoes, that might be a relatively big change to your running biomechanics. Try going back to your previous shoes for a while and see if issues resolve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Ditched Hokas after a whole bunch of different niggles starting cropping up, not saying it was all the Hokas but the niggles started receding as soon as I went back to my old brand.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

I have the Clifton 4. Those shoes have I think around 5mm drop. Depending on your previous shoes, that might be a relatively big change to your running biomechanics. Try going back to your previous shoes for a while and see if issues resolve.

Hi there, thanks for response the shoe geometry is as follows:
      • Offset: 5 mm
      • Forefoot: 23 mm
      • Heel: 28 mm
    I'm not complaining if it resolves my heel issue but there really is a massive platform and it took me a few go's to get used to it and I would be used to a cushioned shoe but these are on another level which is why I think they may be affecting my already awkward gait.

I'll go back to my 12mm shoes and see if they are the root cause of my back pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

S.L.F. wrote: »
    I'll go back to my 12mm shoes and see if they are the root cause of my back pain.

Going from 12 mm drop to 5mm is a massive difference and may well be the factor.

Personally I much prefer a lower heel drop but went slowly 12 -> 8 -> 4 -> 0

• Advertisement

Going from 12 mm drop to 5mm is a massive difference and may well be the factor.

Personally I much prefer a lower heel drop but went slowly 12 -> 8 -> 4 -> 0

Back to running in 12mm, no back pain so far.

Have sent mail to Hoka One Ones about the heel drop to see what their take on it is.

It really is amazing that a pair of runners can cause problems like very sore back pain. I changed back to my Brooks GTS and not a bother from the back.
    HOKA ONE ONE have offered me a refund but I can't find my feckin receipt :rolleyes:

Advertisement