Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roma beggers

Options
  • 17-11-2017 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

Since around the start of October I’ve noticed roughly under a dozen Roma Gypsy beggars popping up around Galway, the same few. I’ve seen one or two of them harrass people if you don’t give money.

They do be on the Quays bridge there and up along high st. & Shop Street.

So then Wednesday morning I got off the bus in Galway only to see the lot of them get out the back of a van for another days begging with some romanian fella driving 😂

They’ve seen an opportunity to make money due to the homelessness crisis in Ireland.

<snip>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Roma do not necessarily come from Romania!!

Any more than all ManU fans hale from Manchester!!

Sweet jebus, how bloody often does it have to be said?! >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Romanian or not, his point about not giving them a penny would still be valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

Standing at the traffic lights, begging for money at the red lights is very annoying trying to guilt drivers to give them money.
    It makes my wife very uncomfortable having a man knocking on her window begging for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Title change from Romanian to Roma because as said they may not be from Romania.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

tonic wine wrote: »
    Standing at the traffic lights, begging for money at the red lights is very annoying trying to guilt drivers to give them money.
    It makes my wife very uncomfortable having a man knocking on her window begging for money.

Just ignore him. On a crutch aswell ffs.

I was having a cup of coffee a few weeks back with the misses. Don’t know the name of the street. Food for thought is the cafe. Anyway, around the corner come two of these beggars (with a huge Supermacs bag. They sat down and eat the lot. Then just **** all the rubbish on the group and head off begging again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    Since around the start of October I’ve noticed roughly under a dozen Roma Gypsy beggars popping up around Galway, the same few. I’ve seen one or two of them harrass people if you don’t give money.

They’ve seen an opportunity to make money due to the homelessness crisis in Ireland.

Don’t give them a penny they should be sent back to Romania and barred from here

There was a different Roma family here over summer. They left around September-ish, and then this one came in a few weeks later. I wonder if there's someone running a scheme were families "tender" for the rights to a city for a season.

Despite doing overnight spells on the street (on the milder evenings), their clothes always look clean. Whatever else they are, they ain't homeless.

As with all other beggars, the way to get rid of them is to stop giving them money.

I actually resent the Roma less than I do the Irish people who beg: the latter have access to social welfare and so don't NEED to be on the street. The former are a pain, but don't have many other life choices open to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Down in Galway for the weekend and saw all the Roma in doorways last night down shop street, I was actually surprised at how many there were, I love Galway but they really are a blight on the city. Do they stay there all night or do they put there begging shift in and then fook off in the early hours when it gets quiet???

Just to point out to the racist OP, Romanian citizens have as much right to be here as you or I.

Rom gypsies, if they were born in an EU country also have the same rights.

Welcome to the EU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

I actually resent the Roma less than I do the Irish people who beg: the latter have access to social welfare and so don't NEED to be on the street.

As EU citizens the roma beggars just need to turn up, get housed by a local authority and say their centre of interests are in Ireland. They might register as big issue sellers or register their kids in Irish schools. Don't worry. Pavee point and The Immigrant Council of Ireland will make sure that the roma get everything that's going.

Each family of roma beggars is basically an elaborate begging gang. They feed off particular towns, using the public transport network to access nearby towns for maximum revenue, and they instinctively know the best begging spots besides ATMs, parking meters and churches, which they rotate regularly and work in shifts. It's quite impressive really. If there was an intergalatic version of david athenborough he would surely be enthralled by them.

Tenigate wrote: »
    Each family of roma beggars is basically an elaborate begging gang. They feed off particular towns, using the public transport network to access nearby towns for maximum revenue, and they instinctively know the best begging spots besides ATMs, parking meters and churches, which they rotate regularly and work in shifts. It's quite impressive really. If there was an intergalatic version of david athenborough he would surely be enthralled by them.

So is that just your own xenophobic opinion or can you actually cite some evidence to back it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So is that just your own xenophobic opinion or can you actually cite some evidence to back it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJRGC8pMQU8

Both the BBC & Channel 4 did documentaries. They filmed the gangs dropping off beggars in cities & they followed them all the way back to their mansions in Romania.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2051482/Child-beggars-young-making-100-000-year-gypsy-gangs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,276 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

el_gaucho wrote: »
    Romanian or not, his point about not giving them a penny would still be valid.

If people weren't so soft with their money, their money stream would dry up. How hard is it for people just to say 'no'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

If people weren't so soft with their money, their money stream would dry up. How hard is it for people just to say 'no'?

They are very intimidating. That guy with the crutch on the shop street I have often seen him corner people/block their path

I have seen the Roma Gypsy women gang up on extremely inebriated men, maybe 4 v 1, pushing them into a corner and feeling him up, obviously looking for a wallet. Thankfully people got involved and pushed them away.

Remember years ago they would go to the Galway races and use scalpels to slice holes into people's pockets?

There were quite a lot of reports of people suddenly noticing cut marks in their legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Give them nothing

Ah well sure in that case all Irish are drunk redheads who love to beat their wives, all Scots love haggis and all Chinese eat rice.

I love how xenophobia is openly tolerated on boards now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Ah well sure in that case all Irish are drunk redheads who love to beat their wives, all Scots love haggis and all Chinese eat rice.

No, the op said there was about a dozen of them, not every Roma.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I know it can be frustrating when people with other opinions than yourself also gets a say, but do try to respond with your constructive criticism instead of blurbs and aggravation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Ah here calm yourself and read the thread and not just the title.

xenophobia, lord almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Are you a roma¿

Stop standing up for something you obviously know absolutely nothing about.

Go into Dublin city and stand at the side of henry street just across from the spire.

Roma men congregate and collect the takings off the women, buses with Romania plates arrive and drop them off on Parnell square and the bus usually has a trailer with a BMW of some description on it.

They use the bus and either don't pay or no matter how old try and pay child fare, kids having kids and not in school as they are going door to door.
    Its actually quite sad really for them so young their future is set up to steal and beg and just get everything for nothing.

My girlfriend was attacked by one who tried to rob her bag and so was her friend.
    I've been spat on on quite a few occasions by them and threatened many times.

<snip, too much>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Why not invite a few to stay with you, season of goodwill and all that. See how u get on.
    There was a few of them beside me begging, n targeting pensioners collecting the pension outside the post office.
    Salt of the earth folk, robbing grannies of there pension. No doubt one of the reasons they voted yes for brexit over the pond

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

all Chinese eat rice.

Is it xenophobia to state a people probably eat a staple? Have the coalition of the gluten-free gotten than much political clout?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Gently saying this.

Is there any reason that ANYONE from whatever community needs to beg in this country?

If so could anyone tell me why, considering the benefits available, and in general Rent allowance accommodation and free medical care.

Just wondered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Gently saying this.

Is there any reason that ANYONE from whatever community needs to beg in this country?.

Yes.

If they spend their money on drugs instead of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Tenigate wrote: »
    Yes.

If they spend their money on drugs instead of food.

I actually have sympathy for that group.

The Roma and other organised gangs NO. And organised is what they are.

The Irish Travellers used to do this years ago with their neglected babies, but they are rich now from other ventures. Never see an Irish Traveller on the streets begging anymore. The Roma are the next generation of the Irish Travellers.

It is totally organised and they are laughing at us. Forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

flazio wrote: »
    those were all arrested/sentenced in October

What about the dozens of Roma <snip> still begging on the streets of galway today?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    those were all arrested/sentenced in October

What about the dozens of Roma <snip> still begging on the streets of galway today?
    Galwegians are still handing them cash, so they're staying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

endacl wrote: »
    Galwegians are still handing them cash, so they're staying.

It’s terrible mate, there was two of them walking around/near the Christmas market on Friday begging for money too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

flazio wrote: »

Ahh. Thats why we've got a new family now.

Advertisement