Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ice dolphins, string quartets and a €13k party...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

All they were short were a few strippers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

myshirt wrote: »

Theres lads in Kilkenny who could help with information on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its the puffed up vainglory of it that's making me laugh, a Dolphin ice sculpture:D 'because im worth it'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

myshirt wrote: »

And unicorns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

mariaalice wrote: »
    Its the puffed up vaingloriou of it that's making me laugh, a Dolphin ice sculpture:D 'because im worth it'

How old is this guy? That's like something the spoilt teenage daughter of a Russian oligarch would demand to have at her birthday party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ireland shan't be free 'til the steets run red with the blood of the cosseted and preening intelligentsia!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It's not a real party unless there was naked dwarves carrying trays of cocaine on their heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

“Lads do we have enough money for an ice sculpture?”

“Who’s paying?”

“Taxpayer”

“Plenty. Get two”.

Where does this money even come from? Is there a contingency fund in CIT for parties? They hardly went to the Dept. with a request for ice sculptures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Signed off by Brendan Murphy himself, he of the 30k Austrian Oak desk in his office fame. Whilst the hardworking lecturers of the college sit freezing their tits off in prefabs cabins for offices.

It's not like the college has a School of Music attached to it or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

razorblunt wrote: »
    Signed off by Brendan Murphy himself, he of the 30k Austrian Oak desk in his office fame. Whilst the hardworking lecturers of the college sit freezing their tits off in prefabs cabins for offices.

Because he’s worth it.

Also

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/cork-institute-of-technology-spent-20-000-on-two-portraits-1.3152684?mode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Complete lack of oversight at third level institutions for the last decade.

You have all the universites and bigger institutes claiming the poor mouth and hiking fees and charges every opportunity whilst pumping money into trusts and other setups to hide it from government eyes so the books look like they are barely getting by.

We dont have "fees" yet we still manage to have one of the highest third level fees in europe!.

We would do well to overhaul the entire system and pump alot of those funds into a more structured apprenticeship system and encourage students to consider them as a worthwhile avenue after school.

As a student of CIT i have been to some awards ceremonies out there that have had the string quartets and good grub along with awards commissoned from a particular artist to sculpt. Every 3rd level institution is the same.

Sure UCC down the road is claiming the poor mouth while buying up buildings all over the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

PAC need to get involved and pull these clowns over the coals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Pay the goddamn money back, you wanna pardee? You pay. Next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Having portraits, music at awards ceremonies a bit of food is a good idea as long as its not ott, a utilitarian approach to everything is not a good idea. His retirement party should have consisted of a small party of drinks, food, a few speeches paid for by the college the colleges should have guidelines for those sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That's what the taxpayer funded for the retirement party of CIT head Andrew Murphy.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/dolphin-ice-sculpture-part-of-13-000-spend-on-cork-it-chief-s-departure-1.3294529

Echoes of his UCC namesake Michael saying it was hard to get by on just a €232,000 pa salary at the height of the recession...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/life-is-a-struggle-on-232000-says-university-president-26895973.html

When did the upper echelons of the education sector become so divorced from reality as to think this drain on the public purse was justified?

They also commissioned a 20k portrait of the lad himself..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Ireland shan't be free 'til the steets run red with the blood of the cosseted and preening intelligentsia!!!!

We could have a full scale revolution and within 12 months the new elite would be exactly the same as the old.
    The problem in this country is that only gombeens rise to positions of power and the rest of us are too weary to do a damn thing about it.

Registration fees of 3k a year have to go somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

It's not a real party unless there was naked dwarves carrying trays of cocaine on their heads.

Ah God bless Freddie, that man could throw a do!

We could have a full scale revolution and within 12 months the new elite would be exactly the same as the old.
    The problem in this country is that only gombeens rise to positions of power and the rest of us are too weary to do a damn thing about it.

Its not an Irish phenomenon

'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others'

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    Its the puffed up vaingloriou of it that's making me laugh, a Dolphin ice sculpture:D 'because im worth it'

Along with the self portraits, it all sounds very Marie Antoinette...

Yes, I remember that at the time as I was in the college in 2007. Sneaked completely under the radar even then!
    Absolutely ridiculous carry on.

Yes, I remember that at the time as I was in the college in 2007. Sneaked completely under the radar even then!
    Absolutely ridiculous carry on.

absolutely rubbish paintings as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Theres lads in Kilkenny who could help with information on that

I meant chicken strippers, you bad man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

In IT academia, they lecture on and on about how project management, process models, requirements, delivery etc all fit neatly into established academic models where everything goes perfectly according to plan where the requirements are perfect, the development is a work of art, the testing is thorough and the end users in the business are happy. In reality, these models become completely irrelevant. Put anyone of these tenured academics into a real world IT project with budgets, deadlines and real people and they'd get a serious reality check.

And when they eventually resign and go back to academia, their leaving do will be a cake in the canteen, maybe an email to thank everyone leaving their email and a few pints later that evening that no one turns up for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mao said something similar and look what happened in China!

valoren wrote: »
    In IT academia, they lecture on and on about how project management, process models, requirements, delivery etc all fit neatly into established academic models where everything goes perfectly according to plan where the requirements are perfect, the development is a work of art, the testing is thorough and the end users in the business are happy. In reality, these models become completely irrelevant. Put anyone of these tenured academics into a real world IT project with budgets, deadlines and real people and they'd get a serious reality check.

And when they eventually resign and go back to academia, their leaving do will be a cake in the canteen, maybe an email to thank everyone leaving their email and a few pints later that evening that no one turns up for.

what's this got to do with anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

????????

Sure UCC down the road is claiming the poor mouth while buying up buildings all over the city.

I actually couldn't believe it when I saw UCC as a sponsor on the Cork City FC jerseys. WTF like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

My Super Sweet Retirement Party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

????????

I presume they mean a few music students would be delighted to play instead of hiring a string quartet for €700.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

You are cordially invited to my "Taking the Piss" party.
    RSVP

????????

I actually couldn't believe it when I saw UCC as a sponsor on the Cork City FC jerseys. WTF like.

That I can get, it's tied in with sports scholarships, the Mardyke Arena, frankly it's the only advertising I can recall by UCC and I'd say they were delighted given the year the club had.

And I can completely get building up a property portfolio. I've been in enough tutorials and lectures in enough buildings scattered around the south side of Cork to appreciate it's a pretty large campus and it's hemmed in by a city.

Neither compare with ice dolphins.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It does seem a bit rich, the 13k party, given recollections of a fair percentage of students scrimping and saving to make it through 3rd level and pay whatever are the euphemism for fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That I can get, it's tied in with sports scholarships, the Mardyke Arena, frankly it's the only advertising I can recall by UCC and I'd say they were delighted given the year the club had.

And I can completely get building up a property portfolio. I've been in enough tutorials and lectures in enough buildings scattered around the south side of Cork to appreciate it's a pretty large campus and it's hemmed in by a city.

Neither compare with ice dolphins.

True. And I'd have no problem with 13k being spent on a xmas party either. If it's for all the staff etc then it's ok spending a certain amount.

But a fcuking ice sculpture!
    And for a retirement party!
    at CIT!

It's taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I'm normally fairly sanguine about things like this but honestly 13k on an ice sculpture for a person's retirement. Someone needs to be sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Would one large front-on college prospectus cover of him riding the sculpted dolphin bollic naked with a magnum of champers in either hand represent value for money for the taxpayer?
    I would think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

This concerns me...
    The department’s secretary general Seán Ó Foglú, who appeared before the committee, was asked what he knew about the spending and urged to introduce mandatory guidelines for staff parties .

The attendees should arrange and pay for their own parties, and then they don't need guidelines at all. I've been to a few retirement functions for doctors and nurses. People contributed money, got them a present and went to a restaurant for an evening out. These people worked for longer in their posts, and did more good, than this gobshyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

did everyone get to lick the sculpture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Too weary?

The problem isn't the population being too weary, but that the population itself is a fertile breeding ground for these types of people. Don't fool yourself, the people in power are just reflections of the population at large, its chancers all the way down.

"Sure it'll be grand", "It'll do rightly", "Sure we'll chance her". Lazy unprofessional idiots aren't confined to cushy jobs and ice sculptures, they are endemic right throughout the country.

Have a revolution? The people don't want a revolution, it would just show themselves up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

????????

To play the music for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Not even a university! They should be made pay back that 13k with interest and if they refuse asset strip them.

I can't wait for someone to do an expose about UCD and the waste that goes on there, that will blow everybody out of the water not least of all Deeks in his ivory tower paid for by the Chinese.

I think a few shootings wouldn't go astray for some of these guys. It's been 100 years, surely we're due a nice few executions to reign in some of these top brass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Ostentatious bunch they're.
    Emperor's New clothes in action again.

I thought David Icke was off his chuck.

For year's he was warning us about being fucd over by the elite and their shenanigans in Hollywood....

Nobody believed him.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Ostentatious bunch they're.
    Emperor's New clothes in action again.

I thought David Icke was off his chuck.

For year's he was warning us about being fucd over by the elite and their shenanigans in Hollywood....

Nobody believed him.....

He's not the messiah, he's a very crazy boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

If it was Trinity or something maybe I could understand but CIT? Seriously?

only joking...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Was it modelled on Fungi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Ipso wrote: »
    Was it modelled on Fungi?

I heard they ate Fungi for the main course :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Delighted to hear the €13,000 party with the ice sculpture has made the news.
    They have some neck to throw parties like this and at the same time reduce services to students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'm normally fairly sanguine about things like this but honestly 13k on an ice sculpture for a person's retirement. Someone needs to be sacked.

Erm the ice sculpture was not 13 grand , the whole party was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Not even a university!

Well, if called out on it CIT would say that its going to put that money into the fight for uni status to beat WIT, Carlow IT etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement