Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch recommendations

Options
  • 17-11-2017 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Sorry for another thread looking for recommendations for watch :o

I'm back in running few months and can do 5km without stopping now- my phone ain't good enough for tracking anymore now. I'd like to do half marathon next year. So I'm looking for a watch that is good for tracking my runs and also for every day. Would like to have an idea what watches I should keep an eye out for on Black Friday ~(if there are any deals) otherwise it is going in the letter for Santa ;) I read some posts saying that chest HR monitor is more accurate than wrist- is this comfortable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭brevity

I'm in the same boat. Bought a cheap one recently but it grand for walking about or the odd run but for proper training it's no good. I'm after one with GPS.

Wiggle.co.uk had some good deals recently and Amazon are always worth a look.

The Garmin Forerunner 35 GPS is 129£ at the moment on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 only running

I use the Tom Tom runner 3 - good GPS..etc but also stores your music and plays through wireless earphones which is very useful. Not sure if any running watches will be useful as a day to day watch as you will need to charge the battery very regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

I use garmin 235. Definitely look at battery life. I get most of week out of mine wearing everyday. Wife wears a 1st gen apple watch and barely gets a day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭brevity

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sports/fitness-watches/gps-watch-music-spark/purple-haze-small

This going for 65£

It has GPS and stores music.

Tempted myself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Most watches will have no issues with battery for normal use. I have a 220 for a few years now. If I was to wear it for just every day use I reckon I could get a few weeks out of it. Its a different story when using it for running.

It should be well reduced in price by now given all the newer models that have been released. There is no built in HR monitor on the 220. You need the strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I use the Tom Tom runner 3 - good GPS..etc but also stores your music and plays through wireless earphones which is very useful. Not sure if any running watches will be useful as a day to day watch as you will need to charge the battery very regularly

No issue with my battery - Garmin FR 235. Lasts over a week with little or no running. During training for DCM i was charging it more regularly alright, maybe every 5-6 days. I charged it Saturday morning before the marathon and it lasted til Wednesday after the marathon so that's 5 days of regular use + over 4.5 hrs of GPS time while i was running.
    Down South wrote: »
    I use garmin 235. Definitely look at battery life. I get most of week out of mine wearing everyday. Wife wears a 1st gen apple watch and barely gets a day
    Same as that. My OH has a Samsung GPS watch and he has to charge it every 1-2 days. It's doing his head in but he got it free with his phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Looking at picking up a 235 soon aswell, was going to get the 230 as the only difference is no HRM but I dont need it anyways. Can be had for around 210 on amazon, will wait and see what pops up on Friday!

Advertisement