Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring a US bandsaw

Options
  • 17-11-2017 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi folks,
    I'm writing because I have a few questions about using my bandsaw that I brought with me from the US. This machine is very valuable to me and a vital part of my livelihood so I don't want to do anything that will blow out the motor or damage it otherwise. I should add that I have very little experience working with electricity and wiring so please forgive any ignorance on my part.

The bandsaw motor, an old Delta from the 80's, has the following specs:
    Volts 115
    Hz 60
    RPM 1725
    Amps 8.5
    HP 1/2 B
    Single phase

I'm wondering if I can simply change the plug from the US 3 prong to an Irish plug and run it through a 110 transformer. Correct me if I'm wrong but in trying to research this I have learned that Ireland uses 50 Hz and that the bandsaw may not run properly (too fast?) as it is meant to be run at 60 Hz.

Is there another solution to running this machine as is or should I consider replacing the motor altogether?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi a transformer as you suggested from a builders suppliers will address the voltage

The frequency of the supply that determines the "speed" of the motor, not the motor if you get me.

So a motor will run at 60 hz on a 60 hz supply.

It's more a question that it would run slower here rather that the motor being too fast. In many cases it won't run as fast.

That can cause issues. I'm sure bruthal will throw his lot in here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

don_carlos wrote: »
    I'm wondering if I can simply change the plug from the US 3 prong to an Irish plug and run it through a 110 transformer. Correct me if I'm wrong but in trying to research this I have learned that Ireland uses 50 Hz and that the bandsaw may not run properly (too fast?) as it is meant to be run at 60 Hz.

To be on the safe side, you'd need to assume that the motor is AC so the frequency does matter and needs to be 60 Hz.

Your power requirement is just below 1 kW (voltage multiplied by current(amps)) so you need to buy a converter (230V to 110V) which can handle at least 1,500 W but I'd go for a 2,000 W (2 kW) model and make sure that the output is 60 Hz.

The converter typically has US socket(s) so you should not have too change the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

I'd get a builders transformer large enough to run the saw. It will run at 5/6 of the nameplate speed due to the 50hz frequency here.
    If the saw works OK at this speed you won't need to spend any more money.

If it doesn't - the simplest fix may be to replace the motor with a 50Hz unit that runs at the required speed. Small motors aren't very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Might be cheaper to replace the motor with a 230 V / 50 Hz one with the same power and speed rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 don_carlos

coylemj wrote: »
    To be on the safe side, you'd need to assume that the motor is AC so the frequency does matter and needs to be 60 Hz.

Thanks coylemj for your reply. Is there any way to determine if the motor is AC or DC?
    What would be the consequences of running the bandsaw through only a transformer if it is indeed AC?
    Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

If that's the motor spec you gave then it's 60 Hz so its AC.

Take a picture of the tag you got that info from.

Lots of universal motors around now too

Here's a picture of the tag. So if it's AC is the only consequence that the motor will run a little slower or is there anything else I should be aware of?
    Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It might be too slow to account for with moving the belt to different pulleys without detrimentally affecting the torque. Also if there's a fan attached it might run too slow to cool the motor properly.

Ok, thanks everyone for your help. I suppose I'll try running it with a transformer since I have one lying around anyway and if it doesn't work to capacity I'll replace the motor. Thanks again, you've been really helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Stoner wrote: »
    Hi a transformer as you suggested from a builders suppliers will address the voltage

The frequency of the supply that determines the "speed" of the motor, not the motor if you get me.

So a motor will run at 60 hz on a 60 hz supply.

It's more a question that it would run slower here rather that the motor being too fast. In many cases it won't run as fast.

That can cause issues. I'm sure bruthal will throw his lot in here too.

Yea it will run at 5/6 the US speed here, if it is an induction motor. 1725 rpm at 60hz so about 1435 on our supply.

If it was a universal motor (with brushes), it would be unaffected.

• Advertisement
Advertisement