Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox 57 Quantum

Options
  • 17-11-2017 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

I have been using Motazilla Firefox for the last few years (switched from Opera when that went all Chrome) for its extensions - mainly for one addon, TabMix Plus.
    Now 57 has bombed out most of the addons I can't live without - like I have my tabs at the bottom of the screen, no way to achieve this now in FF57.
    I noticed the speed improvement but it does not make up in any way for the loss of configurability.

So it's bye-bye Firefox and Hello Vivaldi. Didn't even know about this Chromium based browser until now, easy to configure and lets me do most things I want out of the box, supports adblock and Lastpass extensions, and it's fast. Well worth checking out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=55&v=HPjJszHidhI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The 57 is likely to attract me back to Firefox after many years absence.

So far it is working well here. Yes, it is much faster than previously!

I have found a method of placing the Tabs below the other bars at the top of the page.
    Possibly a few more minor changes to be made is all.

I tried Vivaldi as well as lots of others but never settled with any of them, except Chrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Vivaldi was eating my RAM, so it's FF + Chromium as my two go to browsers. Although Opera's built in VPN came in handy with region locked youtube videos.

When FF changed support for "legacy" addons I switched from Lastpass to bitwarden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I tried FF 57 very briefly - basically my test is does it load the guardian website quickly or at all? The previous FF was just terrible took an age and alas it still does so I'll stick to Chrome for such sites and Opera 12.18 (coal powered) for places like boards.

I didn't like Vivaldi at all when I last tried it but that was in it's early beta-ish phase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Yes there is a way to place tabs below the tool bars but not below the content window. That's what I am used to since forever, so not going to change. :P
    Vivaldi seems very fast and elegant, just tried Harry Palmr's test and Guardian loads instantly :P.

me_irl wrote: »
    Vivaldi was eating my RAM, so it's FF + Chromium as my two go to browsers. Although Opera's built in VPN came in handy with region locked youtube videos.

When FF changed support for "legacy" addons I switched from Lastpass to bitwarden.

Lastpass is working on 57 here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Lastpass is working on 57 here.

Ah yeah, it worked eventually.. But I was running FF 57 beta and impatient!

morgana wrote: »
    Yes there is a way to place tabs below the tool bars but not below the content window. That's what I am used to since forever, so not going to change. :P
    Vivaldi seems very fast and elegant, just tried Harry Palmr's test and Guardian loads instantly :P.

Just trying it now, yep it's much better than FF and about on a par with Chrome. That said the design/look of Vivaldi is quite unpleasant compared to the old Opera colour schemes and softer lines generally. That flash of red is actually annoying me!

I tried FF 57 very briefly - basically my test is does it load the guardian website quickly or at all? The previous FF was just terrible took an age and alas it still does so I'll stick to Chrome for such sites and Opera 12.18 (coal powered) for places like boards.

I didn't like Vivaldi at all when I last tried it but that was in it's early beta-ish phase

I got near instant loading of this site using FF 57
    www.theguardian.com/international

Is that the one you meant? ( I entered guardian.co.uk and it redirected me to .com)

Odd maybe FF simply doesn't like my machine. Vivaldi does have one real nuisance and that's the lack of a drop down bookmarks page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The new Firefox is great, and a massive improvement. Hopefully it brings people back to Firefox a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

morgana wrote: »
    I have been using Motazilla Firefox for the last few years (switched from Opera when that went all Chrome) for its extensions  - mainly for one addon, TabMix Plus.
    Now 57 has bombed out most of the addons I can't live without - like I have my tabs at the bottom of the screen, no way to achieve this now in FF57.
    I noticed the speed improvement but it does not make up in any way for the loss of configurability.

So it's bye-bye Firefox and Hello Vivaldi. Didn't even know about this Chromium based browser until now, easy to configure and lets me do most things I want out of the box, supports adblock and Lastpass extensions, and it's fast. Well worth checking out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=55&v=HPjJszHidhI
    i have my tabs on the taskbar beside the tray at top of screen. My s win 7 start orb is top left corner. will that stay the same?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Careful, my 57 has forced a black default theme and there's no way to change it. Did a search on FF forums and plenty of others with same issue.
    FF 57 does not unfortunately allow downgrade.
    My tabs are unreadable

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I've been able to fix the ugly dark tabs issue by going to Menu > Add-Ons > Themes > Light. Still looks terrible, but that at least restores basic functionality.

What I haven't been able to fix is how hilariously slow page loading now is. Even light pages like Boards thread via the legacy theme on are taking 5+ seconds to load! I'm watching that stupid little progress indicator bounce back and forth in the tab header for ages every time. Faster my ass...! It's driving me crazy.

I've tried the "disabling accessibility" trick everyone else seems to have had success with, but it's done nothing for me. I'm on a Mac, though, and most people who've rated it as useful seem to be on Windows.

Anyone else having the same issue or been able to solve it?

I'm using it on a work PC. The lack of extensions is a pain, but the speed is excellent. However, I have one serious issue on this machine. If I open Task Manager while Firefox is running, the machine hard locks and requires a reset. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

DivingDuck wrote: »
    I've been able to fix the ugly dark tabs issue by going to Menu > Add-Ons > Themes > Light. Still looks terrible, but that at least restores basic functionality.

What I haven't been able to fix is how hilariously slow page loading now is. Even light pages like Boards thread via the legacy theme on are taking 5+ seconds to load! I'm watching that stupid little progress indicator bounce back and forth in the tab header for ages every time. Faster my ass...! It's driving me crazy.

I've tried the "disabling accessibility" trick everyone else seems to have had success with, but it's done nothing for me. I'm on a Mac, though, and most people who've rated it as useful seem to be on Windows.

Anyone else having the same issue or been able to solve it?

Literally havent had any of the issues mentioned here on either Windows, Mac or Linux. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    The new Firefox is great, and a massive improvement. Hopefully it brings people back to Firefox a bit.

For some of the more patient one's, i hope some of the addons migrate to FF 57
    As i'd love a faster Firefox, but addons won't budge sadly:o
    Karsini wrote: »
    I'm using it on a work PC. The lack of extensions is a pain, but the speed is excellent. However, I have one serious issue on this machine. If I open Task Manager while Firefox is running, the machine hard locks and requires a reset. Weird.

It seems that FF57 wants to keep control over Task Manager, similar what the idea of web extensions is used for:confused:

I see also someone posted it in Bargain Alerts, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Firefox has been using as much as 1.3GB of memory on my machine.... that seems like a lot? Only a few tabs open, nothing intensive running.

Advertisement