Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One day SINGLESPEED charity challenge ideas?

Options
  • 17-11-2017 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

Thinking of doing a 1 day charity challenge thing for work on the day of our Christmas party.

My best idea so far is to get a Train to somewhere suitably far away with my Singlespeed, and have people in the company bet against me making it back within X or Y Times.

As an alternative to the usual going around with a hat.

I'm thinking Singlespeed because I've done up to 150k spins on it, and North County Dublin style "climbs" like Naul and Snowtown have been very manageable.

Also because it's fun.

Belfast seems like a possibility because it's a 7-8 hr spin in my normal Singlespeeding avg range but I'm a bit nervous about riding on Nor'n Ir'n roads. The major plus side for it would be the presence of our Belfast Office.

Logistically speaking is it viable to get a train up that morning (only 7hrs 40 minutes of daylight) or would I need overnight accommodation (in this case I can at least rely on keeping the bike in the Belfast office).

Routewise for Belfast to Dublin I was going to copy the Maracycle route?

Have done a couple of 200s and a 175 now and feel that mentally I shoul have it (albeit the 200s were organised events.).

Galway also looks like a possibility...any ideas? Has anyone undertaken a similiar challenge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Logistically speaking is it viable to get a train up that morning (only 7hrs 40 minutes of daylight) or would I need overnight accommodation (in this case I can at least rely on keeping the bike in the Belfast office). ...
    The Aircoach 4.30am service from Dublin gets into Belfast around 7am and the 5.30am service around 8am. Save you an overnight stay and leave plenty of daylight hours.

The main road south from Belfast is fine - just a few bits with no hard shoulder in NI. You'll generally have a headwind though.

(PS - Snowtown is in Co Meath. ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Galway to Dublin should be tail-windy...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Galway to Dublin should be tail-windy...

Could be tail-windy. Could also be head-windy if we got into a cold easterly regime...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Could be tail-windy. Could also be head-windy if we got into a cold easterly regime...

Galway to Dublin could be head-windy, tail-windy, cross-windy or no-windy [/disclaimer] :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm thinking Singlespeed because I've done up to 150k spins on it, and North County Dublin style "climbs" like Naul and Snowtown have been very manageable.
    I know this forum is a kind of a "safe space", but you're a complete lunatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I think you should pick 3 routes(north, south,west) for now and say 3 days before pick the one with the wind at your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Lumen wrote: »
    I know this forum is a kind of a "safe space", but you're a complete lunatic.

Well the problem is my co-workers already know me so no one is going to be too impressed by a standard 200.

As to your claim...perhaps you've met my neighbour Alek?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Why not link the distance to the amount of money raised. Create a number of routes of increasing distance/difficulty, and link them to targets of donations raised [could be an increasingly far away starting point]. The more money raised, the harder your challenge. Your worst enemies will be donating the most! It's perfect!!

You could even add bonus difficulty settings for big donations - like wearing a santa suit etc.

Or you could play a game of route roulette (patent pending) - six routes and roll the dice. Or play it as you go by tossing coins at T junctions to decide if you turn left or right. It's a cleaner adaptation of a potentially life ruining drinking game a friend of mine came up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

Get first train to Thurles.
    There to Horse&Jockey on the old Cork road to Dublin.
    One or two drags and a big hard shoulder most of the way.
    Handy enough and ahould have wind assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You could cycle to Stamullen, do the Geimhridh200 Audax, and cycle home. But only on a fixie. Like someone did last year.
    faster than me on 10 gears and a freewheel and all

• Advertisement
Advertisement