Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inaccessible smoke alarm help

Options
  • 17-11-2017 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

We have a smoke alarm that is fixed at a height of about 15 feet in the apex of the ceiling of a two story house. It is over the stairs so pretty much impossible to reach. The battery is dying so we are plagued with intermittent chirping. In desperation my husband got a very tall step ladder and a long pole and bashed at it and succeeded in breaking the cover, but we still can’t access the battery.
    Does anyone know how long it takes for the battery to die completely?
    Or have any suggestions as to what we can do about it.
    It started a few weeks ago, then stopped, but is getting more frequent now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

twiglet24 wrote: »
    We have a smoke alarm that is fixed at a height of about 15 feet in the apex of the ceiling of a two story house. It is over the stairs so pretty much impossible to reach. The battery is dying so we are plagued with intermittent chirping. In desperation my husband got a very tall step ladder and a long pole and bashed at it and succeeded in breaking the cover, but we still can’t access the battery.
    Or have any suggestions as to what we can do about it.
    It started a few weeks ago, then stopped, but is getting more frequent now.

What type of ladder did he get?

Them batteries can beep away for quite some time.

Have you fitted another smoke detector elsewhere as to get access and for obvious reasons to have one working.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭twiglet24

A very tall step ladder - he went about half way up. Because of its positioning, we haven’t been able to get a ladder close to it. The builders obviously used scaffolding when they installed it, and the light that we also can’t reach. We have one other alarm - a heat one in the kitchen, though our nephew (who is an apprentice electrician) is supposed to be sorting out new smoke alarms for us. House was built in 2005, and we just got the two detectors. I realise that isn’t what would be done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Them batteries can beep away for quite some time.

Seems like every rented accommodation I'm working in has one chirping away in the background. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

If it is a round type you may be able to remove it using a sink plunger on the end of a pole. Push it up hard on to the alarm and turn anti-clockwise. The unit should drop off leaving the fixing in place.

Go and get at least 1 other smoke detector and place elsewhere.

Heat one is only any use in the kitchen.

You can get scaffolding in a hire shop.

I've a ladder that opens out but each side can be at different heights as suitable for uneven surfaces or stairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

A ladder like this may do the job

http://www.hss.ie/g/86341/Combination-Ladders.html

• Registered Users Posts: 34,012 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Rent a proper ladder. Solve it once and for all. Replace with a detector in a more convenient place don't forget that part

Thanks for all the suggestions. We didn’t realise you could hire those ladders, though we knew those type exist. The smoke alarm is around 15 feet above the landing though, so it would need to be a massive ladder if placed on the stairs! We fully intend to put a new alarm in a more accessible location- just waiting for the apprentice electrician nephew (who was also supposed to be pricing scaffolding!). At the moment we have the breaker to the alarm off since we turned it off whilst my husband was bashing it, and after a few chirps, it has been silent. So we are crossing fingers that the battery has died. We will turn it on again in a while so that we will have some kind of protection, though I’m not sure how effective an alarm at that ridiculous height would be anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks for all the suggestions. We didn’t realise you could hire those ladders, though we knew those type exist. The smoke alarm is around 15 feet above the landing though, so it would need to be a massive ladder if placed on the stairs! We fully intend to put a new alarm in a more accessible location- just waiting for the apprentice electrician nephew (who was also supposed to be pricing scaffolding!). At the moment we have the breaker to the alarm off since we turned it off whilst my husband was bashing it, and after a few chirps, it has been silent. So we are crossing fingers that the battery has died. We will turn it on again in a while so that we will have some kind of protection, though I’m not sure how effective an alarm at that ridiculous height would be anyway.

You can buy a smoke alarm for less than €10, battery ones are simple to install. Don't be waiting for someone else to get a smoke alarm.

Where are you based op?

• Advertisement

We were waiting to get new mains wired alarms as we wanted to do the job properly, but yes, think a trip to Woodies is called for and we can get a battery one for the time being.
    Punisher, we are Clare/Limerick area.

We were waiting to get new mains wired alarms as we wanted to do the job properly, but yes, think a trip to Woodies is called for and we can get a battery one for the time being.
    Punisher, we are Clare/Limerick area.

Bit far for me but if were Dublin I could have helped you out as have a ladder that would suit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

We have a smoke alarm that is fixed at a height of about 15 feet in the apex of the ceiling of a two story house. It is over the stairs so pretty much impossible to reach.

I can see why this location is inconvenient for you when it comes to changing batteries, however smoke rises and collects at high points so form a smoke detection perspective this may be the ideal location.

Perhaps the detector can be moved so that it is over the landing (assuming that the wiring for the detector is in the attic) ?

As already stated, this can take many months!

Advertisement