Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Gold / Game pass - dumb question

Options
  • 17-11-2017 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭

Ok, so i now nothing of these, but my son is asking me to get him an Xbox live subscription as he reckons he's losing out on so much functionality by not having one for his Xbox one S

He's tried to explain in teenager terms but means nothing to me :rolleyes: can anyone briefly tell me what he will gain & whether there's benefit to games like FIFA & Call of Duty ?

Also is Xbox live different from Game pass & if so, whats the difference.

Sorry....I can hear the groans already :D

Ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Xbox Gold is Xbox live Gold: this lets him play his games online against other people. There are additional benefits such as weekly game discounts and monthly free titles
    Xbox Game Pass is basically like Netflix: it's a subscription service that lets you download and play games from a specific list for a monthly fee

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No worries :D

Game Pass is like a netflix for games basically, it will allow him to download and play a bunch of games without having to buy them.

Gold is different, it will allow them to play online with other people which is probably what he means by missing out on functionality in games like CoD or Fifa. Those games are mainly multiplayer and he wouldn't be able to avail of that without a Gold subscription.

Gold also provides 4 free games a month, you still have to "buy" them for them to show up on your account but they're free.

If you decide to get the gold subscription don't buy direct from Microsoft, it's a lot cheaper to get if from somewhere like cdkeys.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No worries :D

Game Pass is like a netflix for games basically, it will allow him to download and play a bunch of games without having to buy them.

Gold is different, it will allow them to play online with other people which is probably what he means by missing out on functionality in games like CoD or Fifa. Those games are mainly multiplayer and he wouldn't be able to avail of that without a Gold subscription.

Gold also provides 4 free games a month, you still have to "buy" them for them to show up on your account but they're free.

If you decide to get the gold subscription don't buy direct from Microsoft, it's a lot cheaper to get if from somewhere like cdkeys.com.

And to add to what they lads have said, if he has Xbox Gold subscription, he can but a yearly subscription to EA Access which gives you a bunch of games for 25 a year. Definitely good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Thanks Lads, that makes total sense.

Xbox Gold is the one that he's always on about & makes sense in that he was always online to his mates with the freebie that came with the console when we bought it. Hadn't realised he's lost that functionality.

cheers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Thanks Lads, that makes total sense.

Xbox Gold is the one that he's always on about & makes sense in that he was always online to his mates with the freebie that came with the console when we bought it. Hadn't realised he's lost that functionality.

cheers !

https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/memberships/12-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-xbox-one-360

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

To the op.

I have some codes for free Xbox live that came with my new consoles. I'll pm them on to you if you'd like them?

To the op.

I have some codes for free Xbox live that came with my new consoles. I'll pm them on to you if you'd like them?

That would be great if you're sure ? I'd like to make sure he will use it before I splash the dosh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

That would be great if you're sure ? I'd like to make sure he will use it before I splash the dosh

Pm sent

Pm sent

Gentleman ! He's delighted with himself

Advertisement