Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Hiding" a game in the PS4 main menu

Options
  • 17-11-2017 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭

Hi, 
    I want to purchase and download a game for my son (a gift from his sister for Christmas) via the PSStore, but don't want it to be visible on the menu immediately in case he spots it. 
    I could wait till Christmas eve and do it, but it's no doubt a big download and I will have enough to be doing that evening :) so would love to be able to download, install, then somehow hide it until the day itself. 
    I have googled to no avail, but as the system software has been updated several times recently, I'm wondering are there any workarounds?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

After you download a game, the only way to "hide" it you would be to open enough apps/games so that it is forced into the library*.

On my screen the first app is the store and then there are 16 games/apps between it and the library(18 total).

So, you download game A, it now sits 3rd on the main screen, store and what's new occupy 1 and 2.
    You now need to open enough games/apps/browser to force it to the right of the screen and into the library and hidden.

*Every game he owns is in the library, if he happens to browse it he would see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Or place it into a folder. Add a load of other games into the folder as well, so the game's image isn't displayed in the thumbnail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I'm not too worried about the library. He doesn't go peeking there.
    He doesn't use folders, so he'd most likely be curious to see what one was.

Looks like the 18 apps thing might work. I think I can reduce the limit in settings to say 5 or 6 so make it vanish. I only need to do it for a day or two (and he may not even play that day anyway)... just really trying to avoid shenanigans on 24th eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If you have any portable hard drives, you could download it then move the game to that and then disconnect the HDD.

The game will still show on the PS4 but once you've the hard drive disconnected you can delete it with the game safe on the hard drive.

After wards just reconnect it and move it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'd go with the library trick as well, I thought you could limit the number of games that show up on the main menu alright but couldn't exactly remember.

Goodluck with the surprise, hope it works out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Also be sure to delete the notification saying the game has been downloaded

Advertisement