Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another cyclist killed today in rathfarnham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Terrible news from Rathfarnham this afternoon, male cyclist pronounced dead. 'Truck driver uninjured'.

RIP

Sorry, simultaneous post with tatranska.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Yes, it happened near my address and I saw the aftermath.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Very close to where I live, passed the scene earlier. So sad. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Another wasteful loss of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

This breaks my heart. I sometimes cycle out that road to go for a walk in the park there.

It's getting to the stage where I'm thinking of retiring the bike altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

after no cyclist fatalities in a few months, to hear about the man in Meath last weekend, the critical injuries suffered by the cyclist up north yesterday and now this has left me lost for words here.

RIP to this poor man - this carnage must stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

With so many near misses on a daily basis its easy to think "there, but for the grace of God.." There is no such thing as being too careful, and even that might not be enough

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I used to cycle that road weekly... shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Poor guy. Not great to hear that kind of news. Hope the truck driver is able to get support too, can't be easy walking away from that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it has been reported that the other vehicle was a large roadsweeping truck.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/male-cyclist-dies-after-truck-collision-in-rathfarnham-1.3295785

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Danbo! wrote: »
    Are these usually left hand drive?

Yes they are to facilitate driving close to the path/edge of road to pick up the debris that ends up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

RIP to the rider.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Very sad to hear this and condolences to the family. Also very close to me and a road I'd cycle very regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I came across this shortly after it happened. The driver looked very badly shaken, the cyclist was still under the truck. Even at that early stage the outcome seemed certain.

I use that junction every day, mostly by bike, sometimes by car. It's a wide junction, it was broad daylight, visibility was very good in all directions. I have no idea how this happened, but sometimes bad things just happen.

It would be easy to let an incident like this skew peoples' perception about the dangers of using the roads, but that would be a mistake. You do what you can to keep yourself safe, you hope that everyone around you will do likewise, that's all you can reasonably do and all any of us can be expected to do. Bad stuff can still happen, obviously, but you've given yourself the best chance of avoiding it happening.

In short, be careful and behave responsibly on the roads and your chances of becoming a statistic are very small. Incidents like today's one are awful, but it's worth remembering they are (thankfully) rare.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

posts debating the use of photographs in media coverage have been moved to the journalism thread, which is a more natural place for that debate. please keep this thread for condolences, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I knew the guy personally, nicest guy you could ever meet, lived a few doors down from me.

Saw the Guards at his house earlier and then heard the news and feared the worst, just got news it was him.

All the neighbours are in shock.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

this carnage must stop.

RIP the poor man.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RIP.

all - please no discussion or speculation on the circumstances of the incident. i've removed a couple of posts, we are not in a position to determine what happened based on insufficient knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭billyhead

RIP to the deceased. Incidents like this do question your sanity for taking the bike to work each morning. I keep saying to myself when I hear tragedy happen like this that I will commute by other means but its that addiction that makes me take the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

<Snip>

Condolences to the riders friends and family. Shockingly needless loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

billyhead wrote: »
    RIP to the deceased. Incidents like this do question your sanity for taking the bike to work each morning. I keep saying to myself when I hear tragedy happen like this that I will commute by other means but its that addiction that makes me take the bike.

More pedestrians than cyclists were killed on the roads in Ireland last year, yet you'd be unlikely to question the sanity of someone walking to work (depending on the route of course). Same for driving to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

"The driver of the truck was unharmed."
    This type of reporting makes my fcuking blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

More pedestrians than cyclists were killed on the roads in Ireland last year, yet you'd be unlikely to question the sanity of someone walking to work (depending on the route of course). Same for driving to work.

I would be inclined to think such comparisons would make more sense if you looked at percentages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I'm in shock, he was such a nice lad and from a great cycling family, so very sad to hear this news..

May he rest in peace and deepest condolences to his lovely family....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

RIP to the victim and condolences to his family and friends.

deandean wrote: »
    "The driver of the truck was unharmed."
    This type of reporting makes my fcuking blood boil.

He might have been physically unharmed but his life has changed forever. I hope he gets the help he will need to move on from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

This is so sad, RIP and my sympathies to those on here that knew him personally.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Horrendous, RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

RIP to that poor lad and his family.

<Condolences only >

I suppose it can happen to the best of us, but it's truly shocking. :(:(

Advertisement