Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Gaeilgeoir

Thanks again, seller seems legit, despite my suspicion about it being so cheap :P Never heard of those posting options but sounds like a good idea! I've been looking at the Honor 9 Lite as an alternative since I couldn't find the Xiaomi anywhere, now I'm sitting on the fence....I may be the most indecisive person in the world

Quick question, about to buy that Note 4 but see it comes with a European charger, is it easy to get a 3 pin charger for it somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Gaeilgeoir wrote: »
    Would I be right in thinking this is a good deal on the 64GB 4GB version? Looking to upgrade from a Motorola Moto G (2013) but I'm a bit of a luddite so scared I'll buy the wrong thing or off the wrong site :P

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Offical-Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-4G-64GB-Smartphone---Gold-386423.html

I would go for the new Note 5

Discodog wrote: »
    I would go for the new Note 5

The reviews say the Note 4 is better though. Also I presume the Note 5 is more expensive, I don't want to go above €170. It's so bloody hard to decide, I keep swinging back and forth between the Note 4, the Motorola and now the Honor 9 Lite. I've chickened out on buying the Note 4 for the moment, I need to do a bit more research to make sure it's the best I can get for that price. Just read the GSM review of it again and a few things put me off

Gaeilgeoir wrote: »
    The reviews say the Note 4 is better though. Also I presume the Note 5 is more expensive, I don't want to go above €170. It's so bloody hard to decide, I keep swinging back and forth between the Note 4, the Motorola and now the Honor 9 Lite

I don't know what you are reading but I have a Note 4 & it's very good but the 5 is better.

Have a look at the Note 5 thread.

Either are better than Moto or Huawei

• Advertisement

I don't know what you are reading but I have a Note 4 & it's very good but the 5 is better.

Have a look at the Note 5 thread.

Ah I just checked the note 5 again, it's way too big and heavy for me I'm afraid :P I'm coming from a 4.5 inch display haha

Anyone know when we will be getting Miui 10 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Went into Celtic during the week. They don't do note 4's. I asked if he knew anyone that did them and he suggested sending it back to the supplier to get fixed.

I finally fixed the screen on mine myself. Works great.. but no sound unless i use headphones :(

I think it's a known issue for speaker not to work after fixing screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭mossy464

My note 4 has recently begun to stop charging.

When I plug in it will start charging and after a few minutes stop charging. I remove and reinsert the charger which then leads to the charge light flickering but after a few tries it will charge again.

This keeps happening and it wont stay charging for any significant amount of time.

Has anyone experienced this? Ive tried a different cable, sockets etc. but the same issue occurs.

Hoping its a software rather than a hardware/connection issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭fixXxer

mossy464 wrote: »

When I plug in it will start charging and after a few minutes stop charging. I remove and reinsert the charger which then leads to the charge light flickering but after a few tries it will charge again.

This keeps happening and it wont stay charging for any significant amount of time.

Has anyone experienced this? Ive tried a different cable, sockets etc. but the same issue occurs.

Check the USB port for dirt or dust interferring with the connection. Have a look also and see if the pin in the phone has gotten bent out of shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 bryanodowd

Ha exactly same problem started last week - but last couple times its been grand.

Mine was connecting/disconnecting constantly then eventually, slowly, charging at least.

apparently connection is know issue and replacement is annoying. Other issue is apparently power bank constant use isn't good for some reason....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

bryanodowd wrote:
    apparently connection is know issue and replacement is annoying. Other issue is apparently power bank constant use isn't good for some reason....

I find power banks and car charging seen to destroy battery's, wouldn't dream of doing it now unless an emergency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I had a similar issue last week where it wouldn't charge and the battery drained extremely quickly. But if I turned it off it would charge when off. This happened right after an update came through.

When on the phone wouldn't hold charge even if plugged in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Google Duo update was causing the battery drain.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Google Duo update was causing the battery drain.

thanks! Downloaded MUI Hidden Settings and disabled it there - wonder if it will help.

Phone wouldn't last 2 hours without being turned off and plugged in.

Funnily enough my replacement note 5 arrived the same day so I have been using that.

Had the 4 for bang on 2 years - although the notifications issue was starting to really get to me. Notifications were being delayed by hours sometimes, including calls and SMS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Kamili wrote: »
    thanks! Downloaded MUI Hidden Settings and disabled it there - wonder if it will help.

Phone wouldn't last 2 hours without being turned off and plugged in.

Funnily enough my replacement note 5 arrived the same day so I have been using that.

Had the 4 for bang on 2 years - although the notifications issue was starting to really get to me. Notifications were being delayed by hours sometimes, including calls and SMS.

I was helping someone out with the MTK version and that was the bizzare fix to the recent issue. Being honest the device was such a disappointment in comparison to the Note 3 MTK or Snapdragon equivalents.

Still having issues charging, tried to clean out the port on the phone, connection seems to be ok.

I've tried multiple chargers. The original charger that came with the phone broke soon after I received it last year.

Ever since I've been using a HTC charger with no problems up to now.

Since this issue started I tried a charger and cable from an Amazon Fire stick and that seems to stay charging for the longest amount of time.

Although it still could take plugging and unplugging the cable from the phone 10 or so time before it starts charging properly.

I'm wondering would a new charger be worth trying.

Is there a fast charger available for the note 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

Still having issues charging, tried to clean out the port on the phone, connection seems to be ok.

I've tried multiple chargers. The original charger that came with the phone broke soon after I received it last year.

Ever since I've been using a HTC charger with no problems up to now.

Since this issue started I tried a charger and cable from an Amazon Fire stick and that seems to stay charging for the longest amount of time.

Although it still could take plugging and unplugging the cable from the phone 10 or so time before it starts charging properly.

I'm wondering would a new charger be worth trying.

Is there a fast charger available for the note 4?

This is a known fault in the note 4. My wife's is starting to do the same. The solution is to replace the PCB housing the charging port which will involve opening up your phone. The parts are cheap and there are you tube videos showing it being done.

eoinzy2000 wrote: »
    This is a known fault in the note 4. My wife's is starting to do the same. The solution is to replace the PCB housing the charging port which will involve opening up your phone. The parts are cheap and there are you tube videos showing it being done.

Thanks, will look into it. I'd try it myself if it doesnt involve soldering.

Do you know the best place to get the parts by any chance? I checked ebay and there are a lot from china so will take weeks to get here.

Anywhere in Europe that sells the parts and the tools to open the phone?

Thanks, will look into it. I'd try it myself if it doesnt involve soldering.

Do you know the best place to get the parts by any chance? I checked ebay and there are a lot from china so will take weeks to get here.

Anywhere in Europe that sells the parts and the tools to open the phone?

Found it on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MMOBIEL-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-installation/dp/B07G2TB7YG/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540897910&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=redmi+note+4+charging+pcb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Got a problem with my Note 4 whereby when I remove the headphone jack the handset will still think it is connected and fail to switch back to speaker output.

I had to turn the device off and then restart it in order for it to resolve. The jack socket looks to be free of debris so why is this happening?

Should I be expecting a resolution in a subsequent OS update - or is this specific to my handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Got a problem with my Note 4 whereby when I remove the headphone jack the handset will still think it is connected and fail to switch back to speaker output.

I had to turn the device off and then restart it in order for it to resolve. The jack socket looks to be free of debris so why is this happening?

Should I be expecting a resolution in a subsequent OS update - or is this specific to my handset.

I've had this a few times too but i cleaned it out with a cotton bud and it seems ok now

Now to add to my charging issues I've gone and broke the screen by letting it fall.

Found a replacement screen on ebay but its from China.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4X-Note-4-Global-Version-LCD-Touch-Screen-Replacement-Frame/253886389150?hash=item3b1ccedb9e:m:meeqXcp1p8vZZ13I_qY7UpQ:rk:2:pf:0

Anyone know of an EU stockist?

cavan4sam wrote: »
    I've had this a few times too but i cleaned it out with a cotton bud and it seems ok now

I'll give it a blast with electrical contact cleaner at the weened then.

Miui 10 update out today

Just got it this morning. I like that data usage is easily accessible by pulling down on the home screen. No sure about the icon updates - a bit childish looking IMO.

Are there any other significant updates in MIUI 10?

Edit: I've done a bit more playing about and some of the other interface updates I like.

Details here: https://en.miui.com/zt/miui10/index.html

Anyone having problems with battery draining quickly after this latest update?

Yep. Exceptionally quickly. 2% every 5 minutes.. can't keep a charge on mine at all.

Mine seems about the same, maybe a little more drain. Accu Battery is showing 9hrs screen on time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Now to add to my charging issues I've gone and broke the screen by letting it fall.

Found a replacement screen on ebay but its from China.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4X-Note-4-Global-Version-LCD-Touch-Screen-Replacement-Frame/253886389150?hash=item3b1ccedb9e:m:meeqXcp1p8vZZ13I_qY7UpQ:rk:2:pf:0

Anyone know of an EU stockist?

Honorbuy
    I changed mine but goosed the speaker somehow (I think I might have put wrong screws back into wrong places!)

Honorbuy
    I changed mine but goosed the speaker somehow (I think I might have put wrong screws back into wrong places!)

I changed mine also in the end. Its working fine apart from a few niggly issues like every time I press the middle home button at the bottom the Google help thing comes up. Bit of a pain.

I changed mine also in the end. Its working fine apart from a few niggly issues like every time I press the middle home button at the bottom the Google help thing comes up. Bit of a pain.

There are apps that let you assign functions to the buttons. Just set short press & long press to the same

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071RCD3VX/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_2

You must order the one for the 4x to fit the Note 4 Global

Have ordered this screen protector a couple of times now after someone suggested it but it never seems to last more than a month or 2. Its been ok other than the fact that it hasn't lasted, anyone know any more durable ones or do I just need accept the tenner sub every couple of months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Any switch ROMs on it? I had Lineage on it for a long time, very smooth but it slowed down recently as I let it fill up. I wiped it and put MIUI 10 back on. It's very nice looking, very slick, but there's no way to install GCam (look it up if you want a way to improve the low-light camera performance on this phone).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Fabio wrote: »
    Any switch ROMs on it? I had Lineage on it for a long time, very smooth but it slowed down recently as I let it fill up. I wiped it and put MIUI 10 back on. It's very nice looking, very slick, but there's no way to install GCam (look it up if you want a way to improve the low-light camera performance on this phone).

I flashed the latest Resurrection Remix and I am pretty happy with it. The phone had slowed down a lot recently so like yourself, I did a complete wipe but I installed RR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Have a redmi note 4 phone.

What are these ROMs people are talking about? How do I install them and what do they do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

Advertisement