Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

Fabio wrote: »
    He might get stung for customs though no?

Ordering from Italy warehouse, so should not be any customs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Out of curiosity, is anyone here running custom ROMs on their phones? If so, what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

There are also Redmi Note 4s available on Aliexpress on the Mi Global Store [not sure if that is official]. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-4GB-64GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core-5-5-FHD/3010045_32829158301.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.14c6f8ccheeoGO

Not sure if it makes sense price-wise but it's another option. I'm really considering getting one myself as an upgrade from the Redmi Note 3 - is it worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There are also Redmi Note 4s available on Aliexpress on the Mi Global Store [not sure if that is official]. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-4GB-64GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core-5-5-FHD/3010045_32829158301.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.14c6f8ccheeoGO

Not sure if it makes sense price-wise but it's another option. I'm really considering getting one myself as an upgrade from the Redmi Note 3 - is it worth it?

I think it's a good phone & great value. To me the cost saving wasn't worth the wait & risk of customs.

For some reason the version linked DOES NOT have BAND 20 for LTE here.

It is not an offical xiaomi store. Check HK Goldway instead.

corkie wrote: »
    For some reason the version linked DOES NOT have BAND 20 for LTE here.

It is not an offical xiaomi store. Check HK Goldway instead.

Well spotted :)

There are so many sellers who pretend to be official Xiaomi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

fixxxer wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, is anyone here running custom ROMs on their phones? If so, what?

Planning to do so once I can unlock my phone. Have to wait another 40 hours to do so.

I have used resurrection remix before and I liked it. Might try that when I get my phone unlocked.

Raoul wrote: »
    Planning to do so once I can unlock my phone. Have to wait another 40 hours to do so.

I have used resurrection remix before and I liked it. Might try that when I get my phone unlocked.

What difference does it make to the everyday use of the phone ?

I think I said it before but things I like are simple. Being able to skip tracks or skip 30 sec ahead by long pressing volume buttons, tasker for turning data off when wifi is on or for turning off all syncing while you are asleep or automatically turning the vol down when you put your headphones in and then adaway...so good and I only really realise now when I have to deal with ads. It gets rid of almost everything.

I guess they are the three main things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Autochange wrote: »
    That's the one. Just to note when you are setting it up Ireland is not listed on the country list. Set to France as it is the closest. It's no issue whatsoever. Eg Australia is not listed either so they set to Hong Kong. The UK also isn't on the list so they also set to France

Thanks for the tip! I finally bought one earlier today, expecting it to arrive on Monday :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

The more I use my Note 4 the more I like it. Still feel it is a bit large.
    I've noticed that detection of WhatsApps messages is not as clear as previous devices.

Still looking for a screen protector. Recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Paulmc.

Thanks for the advice folks, just ordered the phone with dhl delivery, gonna look for armored case & tempered glass for screen now :D

I was using Lineage but for some reason I wasn't able to set notification sounds per app so I might get that a try. Its a fickle reason to change as it works great otherwise but that's me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭quinnd6

When you turn it on does it update to Android 7.1 or is it just Android 6?
    Would it have any issues changing from 3g to 2g if your 2g coverage was bad?
    Does it support 4g over here?

quinnd6 wrote: »
    When you turn it on does it update to Android 7.1 or is it just Android 6?
    Would it have any issues changing from 3g to 2g if your 2g coverage was bad?
    Does it support 4g over here?

It has an update to MIUI 9 7.0 (not 7.1.1/2 - someone with the device confirm - dev roms may have newer version of android)

As long as you get a device with BAND 20 for LTE, you will get 4G!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/specs/redminote4x

• Advertisement

I've noticed that detection of WhatsApps messages is not as clear as previous devices.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382231573736?_trksid=p2380057.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI382231573736.N36.S1.R1.TR2

j@utis wrote: »
    doesn't post to Ireland it says.

I used addresspal. There are lots of sellers selling the same full screen protector under different names

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Geek Buying have $20 off a $200 purchase at the minute. Phone is 199.99 but add something to the basket to bring it over 200 (or don't bother and just get $6 off)

My sister wanted one so added a screen protector - has to be from same warehouse as phone btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

This is a quirk of MIUI. Go into the Battery Saver settings within MIUI and either turn off the MIUI battery optimisation thing or else tell it to leave WhatsApp running.

You can lock an app into memory too [MIUI is aggressive with RAM management and tends to shut apps off causing this to happen]. You pull the app icon down after seeing it in the "current open apps" screen thingy.

• Advertisement

This is a quirk of MIUI. Go into the Battery Saver settings within MIUI and either turn off the MIUI battery optimisation thing or else tell it to leave WhatsApp running.

You can lock an app into memory too [MIUI is aggressive with RAM management and tends to shut apps off causing this to happen]. You pull the app icon down after seeing it in the "current open apps" screen thingy.

I just turned the battery saver off. The battery life is amazing especially coming from a nexus

Has anyone flashed TRWP? Having awful trouble with it.

Has anyone flashed TRWP? Having awful trouble with it.

What trouble? At work so cant do a lot right now but maybe I can help later.

fixxxer wrote: »
    What trouble? At work so cant do a lot right now but maybe I can help later.

Just couldn't get the twrp to boot. It was installing ok but wouldn't boot. Then I bricked it somehow, in a fastboot loop. Easy enough to solve using miflash and then flashing the correct global rom.

Anyway...think I am on the road to success following this guide:
    http://en.miui.com/thread-667496-1-1.html

I can't boot into recovery using the buttons, so having to do it via ADB.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

j@utis wrote: »
    I finally bought one earlier today, expecting it to arrive on Monday :rolleyes:

Just pulled the trigger and ordered one over the weekend, from IT warehouse. Has yours arrived yet, just wondering what their shipping times are like. Did you get any email notifications?

Just pulled the trigger and ordered one over the weekend, from IT warehouse. Has yours arrived yet, just wondering what their shipping times are like. Did you get any email notifications?

I ordered over a weekend & got a confirmation email on the Monday with a DHL tracking number. Tracking said that it would be delivered Wednesday but it arrived on the Tuesday.

I ordered last Thursday afternoon & it's just arrived, so very happy with that. Time to have a play with it now & try set it up for the young fella for Xmas:)

I ordered on wednesday 7pm, got the phone on friday 2pm - very impressed with dhl I must say. I got email with tracking number for dhl website.

ordered Saturday...still not dispatched...must be a big backlog from the Black Friday sales!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Ordered from Geek Buying on Thursday. Delivered yesterday

what's the difference between the Redmi Note 4 and the Redmi Note 4X ???

what's the difference between the Redmi Note 4 and the Redmi Note 4X ???

Exact same device, except generally the one without the X has support for more LTE bands. i.e. Band 20 which is needed in this country.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/specs/redminote4x

There is also RN4/X with Mediatek which should be avoided!

Note: - Check the description and band support before ordering from a seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭mossy464

Hi All,

Im finally about to bite the bullet and purchase. Can anyone confirm if this model from HK Goldway is ok for Ireland?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-Special-Edition-Mobile-Phone-3GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-MTK-Helio-X20/311331_32766122092.html

So many on the site it's confusing but this seems to have all the right specs to work here.

Thanks

You may aswell get the one with 4GB RAM and 64gb storage.

I haven't used HK Goldway but I think this is it:
    Here

But this one only ships from China. Have a look back and see the other links. There is one where you have about 30 diff options for type of phone and shipping combo.

You may aswell get the one with 4GB RAM and 64gb storage.

Thanks, just noticed that after I posted it.

The link is in the chinese android phones thread. Try and find it.

That only ships from China.

• Advertisement

That only ships from China.

Yes but using DHL option to avoid customs.

mossy464 wrote: »
    Yes but using DHL option to avoid customs.

Avoiding customs with DHL from China ? I thought that a lot get caught from reading previous threads.

I got mine from Italy with Geekbuying.

Same as that discodog, from reading back through threads it seems the luck of the draw if your caught for extra cash. I too went through Italy without customs stopping it, all thanks to the ppl on this thread:)

Unless the seller specifically ships to an EU location first, then there is no guaranteed way to avoid customs. It's luck of the draw.

For anyone feeling adventurous, I've installed the unofficial Lineage 15.0 Oreo ROM and it works pretty well.

Bought it. We'll see how it goes.

Okay, so bought the Screen recommended a few pages ago - link now dead. Item was poor - the LED notification light is obstructed by the top of the protector and is therefore invisible. The front facing camera is partially blocked by an incorrectly placed camera hole in the protector.

Would not recommend. It will do for now until I find something better.

Okay, so bought the Screen recommended a few pages ago - link now dead. Item was poor - the LED notification light is obstructed by the top of the protector and is therefore invisible. The front facing camera is partially blocked by an incorrectly placed camera hole in the protector.

Would not recommend. It will do for now until I find something better.

Which one ?

• Advertisement

I've ordered a couple myself from Gearbest, 1 black & 1 clear & a couple of cases, no point in putting up links yet till I see how they fit when they arrive, will update when they get here.

Link seems to be working - not sure what happened there.

Do you have a Note 4 or 4x because that protector fits my Note 4 perfectly. I am very pleased with it

Note 4. Do you have the indication light visible on yours?

Redmi Note 4 arrived today. Initial impressions are very good. Nice heft to the phone, feels quite premium for its price! Love the fingerprint sensor on the back - works a charm.

I ordered the Gold colour, but looks almost silver to me, just the faintest tint of gold, but not too bothered about that.

Only issue so far is that there was no Ireland to pick in the region menu of the setup (or UK/England for that matter). Picked France and so far no issues, so not sure if setting region makes a difference. 4G/phone/WiFi all ok and time correct.

Straight away it notified that updates were available so currently downloading MIUI9. Will put it thru its paces later today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement