Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Paulmc.

One of the lads advised on France as the region to choose in an earlier post & said there was no issue with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Note 4. Do you have the indication light visible on yours?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I knew when ordering that the camera was poor in low light, but was not prepared for actually how bad it is! Done some tests and compared with other phones in the house (Galaxy S7, Vodafone Smart ultra 6, and Moto G5). The Redmi Note 4 was easily the worst. Pictures taken inside in a well enough lit room have lots of noise in them.

Someone suggested downloading the cyanogen camera, and that indeed gives much better results with a lot less noise, although conversely was much slower to capture. Will try some shots in daylight tomorrow- most reviews say daylight images are good.

On a positive note, general performance is excellent, really responsive so overall I'm happy with it as I don't take many photos but would not recommend it to someone who takes lots of indoor photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

I knew when ordering that the camera was poor in low light, but was not prepared for actually how bad it is! Done some tests and compared with other phones in the house (Galaxy S7, Vodafone Smart ultra 6, and Moto G5). The Redmi Note 4 was easily the worst. Pictures taken inside in a well enough lit room have lots of noise in them.

its possible to brighten up low light images by clicking on the screen and scrolling your finger up and down to your desired amount. it improves it a bit on mine

So, I went for this case https://www.gearbest.com/cases-leather/pp_1165933.html seems to be fine & should do the job & stop my son from breaking it should it fall. I would have preferred the case to be a little deeper, but for the price I can't really complain.
    Also chose this screen protector https://www.gearbest.com/screen-protectors/pp_645157.html I found the holes to be mis-aligned when the screen is centered on the phone, but again, you get what you pay for. Anyway, both should stop him f**king up the phone for a few months.....I hope

Paulmc. wrote: »
    So, I went for this case https://www.gearbest.com/cases-leather/pp_1165933.html seems to be fine & should do the job & stop my son from breaking it should it fall. I would have preferred the case to be a little deeper, but for the price I can't really complain.
    Also chose this screen protector https://www.gearbest.com/screen-protectors/pp_645157.html I found the holes to be mis-aligned when the screen is centered on the phone, but again, you get what you pay for. Anyway, both should stop him f**king up the phone for a few months.....I hope

Does the protector block the LED ?

Yeah, all holes are out of line. I'm gonna have a mess with the holes using my dremmel to see if I can widen them, I've seen ppl using a tiny grinding stone on tempered glass on youtube & it seems to work. I've nothing to lose anyway for the price of the protector.

Yeah, all holes are out of line. I'm gonna have a mess with the holes using my dremmel to see if I can widen them, I've seen ppl using a tiny grinding stone on tempered glass on youtube & it seems to work. I've nothing to lose anyway for the price of the protector.

The problem is the risk of glass & stone dust getting on the adhesive & then scratching your screen.

It is strange that there isn't a high quality protector for such a popular phone. I have a similar one to you & the holes line up perfectly. But now they have changed their ebay listing.

Spose I didn't think of that, just thought I'd be able to clean it properly with alcohol or something, good point tho. I don't understand why they can't line up the holes, they surely have to have a phone or template, even if the holes were bigger you'd say fair enough, at least you'd have a bit of play with them. Somebody has surely gotten a decent proper fitting screen protector somewhere on here

Spose I didn't think of that, just thought I'd be able to clean it properly with alcohol or something, good point tho. I don't understand why they can't line up the holes, they surely have to have a phone or template, even if the holes were bigger you'd say fair enough, at least you'd have a bit of play with them. Somebody has surely gotten a decent proper fitting screen protector somewhere on here

They seem to get one thing right but not everything. The official Xiaomi one doesn't go to the edge & has a big, ugly cutout. The one you posted looks like it would fit better back to front.
    The problem seems to be that the Indian Version has the LED by the USB port

• Advertisement

Does Xioami still have to launch the Redmi note series or is the Redmi 5/5plus going to cover them is well as they have a much bigger screen. I'm hoping they still have to launch a Note series as I'm a little disappointed with what was launched, looks completely different to some of the teaser pictures that I saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Getting a partial refund on my protector. Pretty poor quality in that the adhesive is not holding very well and is lifting at edges.
    It will do for a while and then I'll upgrade to something better (hopefully).

Got a large scratch approx an inch in length down the middle of my Note4 after 1st day of use. Had placed Keys in pocket for a few minutes before realising it, but damage was done. Still surprised how easily it scratched, even thought its not gorilla glass. The scratch was quite deep as well, as you could feel it as you ran your finger over it.

However, the good news, is that I tried the toothpaste trick! And it worked a charm - the scratch is completely gone! Just a little paste on a cotton cloth and then rub for approx. 30 minutes. I thought using toothpaste to remove scratches was an old wives tale but apparently not so. But I'll still be applying the tempered glass when it arrives!

However, the good news, is that I tried the toothpaste trick! And it worked a charm - the scratch is completely gone! Just a little paste on a cotton cloth and then rub for approx. 30 minutes. I thought using toothpaste to remove scratches was an old wives tale but apparently not so. But I'll still be applying the tempered glass when it arrives!

Never heard that one, might try it for the few minor scratches I have on my screen. Does it matter what type of toothpaste? 😂

Never heard that one, might try it for the few minor scratches I have on my screen. Does it matter what type of toothpaste? 😂

Car paint scratch remover, or 2 parts water to one part baking soda works as well apparently!

Just cracked the screen on my note 4 and I'm pissed ****in off. Any ideas on where to get a repair kit and glass for it. Quick search in Google doesn't yield much results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

Just cracked the screen on my note 4 and I'm pissed ****in off. Any ideas on where to get a repair kit and glass for it. Quick search in Google doesn't yield much results

Did you try aliexpress?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/For-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-LCD-Display-Touch-Screen-100-Original-LCD-Digitizer-Glass-Panel-Replacement/630791_32770388447.html
    NOT suitable for Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Global Version (CPU: Snapdragon 625)
    corkie wrote: »
    Well spotted, I didn't read the description when I linked it.

This version is for Snapdraggon: - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Axisinternational-LCD-screen-display-touch-digitizer-with-frame-For-5-5-Xiaomi-redmi-note-4X-ROM/32820683355.html
    Also probably need an adhesive layer: -

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/for-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-3-LCD-Tocuh-Screen-Front-Frame-Bezel-3M-Glue-Double-Sided-Adhesive/32802073716.html

^^^ Above seems to be a standard for multiple notes.

Thanks for reply corkie I'll give them a try

• Advertisement

Should have mentioned if you use free shipping, you probably won't see them till February or later. I'm still waiting on something ordered on the 11/11.

Well spotted, I didn't read the description when I linked it.

This version is for Snapdraggon: - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Axisinternational-LCD-screen-display-touch-digitizer-with-frame-For-5-5-Xiaomi-redmi-note-4X-ROM/32820683355.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Does everyone get push notifications from Gmail , fb & whatsapp with this phone ?

Smashed my one plus 3 the other day and had a spare xiaomi mi4c lying around the house and barely get any.

Looking at either this or the mi a1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Does everyone get push notifications from Gmail , fb & whatsapp with this phone ?

Smashed my one plus 3 the other day and had a spare xiaomi mi4c lying around the house and barely get any.

With MIUI phones you need to open the app switcher and swipe down so a little padlock appears. This stops the phone closing the apps. Also, go into battery settings and turn off optimisations for any messaging apps you use. That should improve your notification situation.

Bought a note 4 from geek buying on Monday, Italy warehouse and just received it today. 167euro for a 64gb so happy enough. (yes I cracked my other note 4 two hours before this one came)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭boris1234

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Go to Settings -> Notifications & status bar -> App notifications and you can enable notifications for each app.

I just set them all for my mail, messages, snapchat etc.

boris1234 wrote: »
    Go to Settings -> Notifications & status bar -> App notifications and you can enable notifications for each app.

I just set them all for my mail, messages, snapchat etc.

I've not made any changes to notification settings but still getting everything (I hope!). I wonder if the update to Android 7 has fixed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'm getting about 3 days of use from this phone on a single charge. I mainly use the phone for browsing, email and social media but 3 days is still a lot. I'm running Resurrection Remix without any battery saving options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

My phone is in airplane mode for about 7 hours a day and have battery saving scheduled between 1am and 7:30am. Battery life is absolutely outstanding. 2 days since last charge and 50% battery left. 3-5 calls a day, loads of viber msging, browsing web, youtube few mins a day, updates, bluetooth and wifi every now and then. Running on stock OS. Very happy with it.

I chose the phone especially for it's battery life & I am very pleased.

Miui is different & you need to learn some new settings but it works well. I like the split screen & the one handed option.

Another surprise is the built in call recorder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

Yep can stretch it it to 3 full days too with moderate use. Had been dithering for a while between Note 4 and the mi a1 but got the former couple of months ago v happy with decision as the extra battery life has been a godsend during a busy period when I didn't always get my phone to a charger at night. The bigger screen size was an adjustment but used to it now. As others noted, the camera is poor in low light but not a photo person so doesn't bother me. Other than the battery I think the best thing has been the reduction in anxiety knowing that if I break or lose this, its not going to bankrupt me to replace as it would with comparable models of more well known brands

It you've unlocked and rooted it, you can enable the Camera2 API and install cameras that make use of it. I wasn't too keen on the stock camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Has anyone got the MIUI 9 update on the Redmi 4x yet? I keep checking but still on 8.5.6.

It you've unlocked and rooted it, you can enable the Camera2 API and install cameras that make use of it. I wasn't too keen on the stock camera.

Has anyone tried Google Camera ? Seems to be recommended for the Note 4

My note 4 isnt recognising miui 9 and I'm still on 8.5 even though my new one is the exact same and that has it

My note 4 isnt recognising miui 9 and I'm still on 8.5 even though my new one is the exact same and that has it

What is your MIUI version on the device? (Any chance of Vendor rom?)

You could download a recovery rom and use the updater app to apply it.

^^ Above will only work on official roms.

Would a screen protector for the 4x fit the Global Note 4 ? Looks like the led cutout is in the right place.

Screen got for my note 4 from honorbuy and when I go into track the package it says destination is Dublin, think they made a mistake, should I be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Anyone had problems with the alarm on the Note 4?

Mine rarely if ever actually works. Volume for the alarm is up to the max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Fanny **** wrote: »

Try locking it in the app manager. check permissions to make sure it can auto start and disabling any battery optimizations.

• Advertisement

Fanny **** wrote: »

Mine is fine. I use this to manage sound profiles.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tartar.soundprofilesfree&hl=en-GB

fixxxer wrote: »
    Try locking it in the app manager. check permissions to make sure it can auto start and disabling any battery optimizations.

This is key advice for all essential apps. I had some problems with the Note 4 until I discovered these settings

Discodog wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Google Camera ? Seems to be recommended for the Note 4

I'm using Google Camera, Open Camera and A Better Camera.

The google one is simple and takes decent pictures. The other two are more configurable and allow better pictures to be taken if you're patient. A Better Camera also has ads unless you block it from accessing the internet.

I'm using Google Camera, Open Camera and A Better Camera.

The google one is simple and takes decent pictures. The other two are more configurable and allow better pictures to be taken if you're patient. A Better Camera also has ads unless you block it from accessing the internet.

I read a couple of reviews that praised Google camera's HDR plus mode

Discodog wrote: »
    I read a couple of reviews that praised Google camera's HDR plus mode

Yeah, it's highly praised. Unfortunately, it's not officially released for other phones yet. There's a mod of the new google camera floating about for snapdragon cpus make by some ukrainian guy but I haven't tried it yet.

The standard google camera is till fairly decent though. The other two cameras that I mentioned support HDR as well but I haven't quite got the hang of it. It needs 3 pictures at different exposures which means you need to hold the thing pretty steady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭mossy464

Is Google Camera an app? Can't find it on the play store on my Note 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

A friend of mine has a Redmi Note 4, its got plenty of internal space free and a 16gb SD card (could be 32). Anyway, he keeps getting messages that he is out of space and cant install any apps? He has gotten rid of any apps that were of no use to him.
    Has anybody encountered this or suggestions on a solution?

W8HxGm3Gqw4NCGkt7l8tTt2X154ipowEmcA6oFP49NLRuHu1RHzZh9raKA--ohPrz11lmHjwzgYkljIbisvUNiWrtZg0QpGDx5lSynhG8ggt9cuPYIt9Oc5cuQQBQZUX383n7qzjL1LFpE0cAEkj2JDcFPyj-5evBZSIxg3tVY1ud8eQlLF-c6UZbxgYnZjZAUoPn3lzV0JT762Tnu1XlVTIb-B3NebtQ0QFQvbpuog4Jm8adJSs4NsWw-pTKZenR5Dmee_8xCEssC7wgAGW2QQhqLGBVIcXy-edhECXJmJ4mjunT3jJVQgNp389ThV97ebAYfKH7QulQm3tpaMziWu4evm-YAgsn34EmBI7J2X6OVybKtYODllow3n4TrWT9LXqySeyDRjbIYk1Uzqdc0DZvxH851lD-sk6VohUpSdJqP_I3NyLd6Ig7b-qrftRl6CDmNzW8MGGs2PfGulPe1xPXbFd3_h7LkOS_Sqhzg_MkNvY08w7Xfkc7YuqdAV0QhfguK_Zan3vCmC5qg5n3yulZOoKZUtH-85hpug_gkNCbYTWo0crncSkvhToaGm8o7t-zPgfuh8g9VXDHAXMusYAvCMOx-hDtKp0YP622Yw=w689-h918-no

mossy464 wrote: »
    Is Google Camera an app? Can't find it on the play store on my Note 4.

It is only officially available on Google Devices (Pixel's etc).

But has been ported to use on other devices, see the XDA thread for MIDO: -

https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-4/themes/google-camerawith-hdr-mido-t3656196
    GBX wrote: »
    A friend of mine has a Redmi Note 4, its got plenty of internal space free and a 16gb SD card (could be 32). Anyway, he keeps getting messages that he is out of space and cant install any apps? He has gotten rid of any apps that were of no use to him.
    Has anybody encountered this or suggestions on a solution?

Looks like an official rom version for mido. Maybe some rogue app is using up storage. Check the device with a file manager (storage analysis feature) to see what is taking up space.

can anyone explain in steps how to get camera 2 api working on the note 4?

I guess that you have to request bootloader unlocker from Xiaomi?

then root it?

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    can anyone explain in steps how to get camera 2 api working on the note 4?

I guess that you have to request bootloader unlocker from Xiaomi?

then root it?

You need an unlocked bootloader at a minimum, from what I can gather.

If you're not too fussed about the miui stuff, I'd recommend just rooting it and putting a custom rom on it. I stuck resurrection remix on mine and it's excellent.

Rooting is easy enough too:

Apply for unlock
    Wait for approval
    Then wait about 3 days
    Install the adb drivers
    Download the mi unlock tool and run
    Connect device
    Reboot into fastboot mode
    Unlock the bootloader with the mi unlock tool
    Download twrp
    Flash twrp with fastboot which comes with the adb drivers
    Install a custom rom from twrp and if the rom doesn't come rooted, install supersu or magisk as well. Resurrection remix came rooted.

Advertisement