Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

Is your home WiFi set to auto-connect? I had the same problem until I changed the setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I had the same issue but then it was fine & I can't remember what I changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Double C wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with wifi connection since upgrading to MiUi 9? My phone says its always connected to the wifi, but every so often everything stops, I can't connect to the Internet at all. Normally means I have to reboot the device to get back online. I did a factory reset last week and its still happening. Getting pretty fed up with it now.

Yep, I have this issue. I also find it eats the battery until I force a reboot. Out of curiosity, do you know if you have the Nikel or Mido version? It is a well known issue on the Nikel, and there is no fix. In fairness, I find it less since I moved to miui 9, but still happening.

NTC wrote: »
    Yep, I have this issue. I also find it eats the battery until I force a reboot. Out of curiosity, do you know if you have the Nikel or Mido version? It is a well known issue on the Nikel, and there is no fix. In fairness, I find it less since I moved to miui 9, but still happening.

Mine is Snapdragon Mido & it now works perfectly. For those on Mediatek won't one of the autoconnect apps work that use location ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

NTC wrote: »

I don't know. How can I find out?

Edit: Am I right in saying that Deca-core is Nikel? If so, balls!

Double C wrote: »
    I don't know. How can I find out?

Edit: Am I right in saying that Deca-core is Nikel? If so, balls!

Snapdragon is Octa-core

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Any bricks and mortar shop in Dublin sell these. Need a replacement phone soon, or how long would postage me from geekbuying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Any bricks and mortar shop in Dublin sell these. Need a replacement phone soon, or how long would postage me from geekbuying?

There's a shop in St. Stephens Green shopping centre that has a selection of Chinese phones, might be worth a look.

Don't know about Geekbuying, someone else will comment, but Honorbuy are fast if ordered from the EU warehouse. They are not a cheap option though.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

My last order to Geekbuying (via IT warehouse) was Sunday evening, delivered Tuesday lunchtime via DHL.

incidentally, 3gb gold version is currently on flash sale for 137.06

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/International-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-3GB-32GB-Smartphone---Gold-381852.html

I ordered from Geekbuying Italy. Delivery cost €4 for DHL & I got it 48 hours later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

I ordered from geekbuying twice,second one hadn't shipped after a week so had to insist on refund,
    first one was processing for two weeks eventually they gave me a tracking number which over a week later still had not been updated,in the middle of a paypal dispute for that one,

Both from their european warehouses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Looking for a car phone holder for this handset. Preferably something for the vent as it is at a nice height for me. Also would prefer if it could be rotated without having to release a clamp nut on the rear.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sean29

Does anyone else find the volume levels too low? I have everything set on maximum and I still miss some viber notifications when the phone is in my pocket. Is there any way to increse the volume without rooting?

Other drawbacks I noticed after 'upgrading' from another budget phone, smart ultra 6 (a great phone by the way) the screen is really glossy (if you need a mirror it's actually an advantage) and while the battery usually gets me through 2 days of moderate usage it takes over 2 hours to charge from 30%. Settings menu is a mess, for example you set app permissions in 3 completely different menus. But the volume level is by far the worst issue for me so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Looking for a car phone holder for this handset. Preferably something for the vent as it is at a nice height for me. Also would prefer if it could be rotated without having to release a clamp nut on the rear.

Any recommendations?

I got a generic one in Halfords that works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

sean29 wrote:
    Other drawbacks I noticed after 'upgrading' from another budget phone, smart ultra 6 (a great phone by the way) the screen is really glossy (if you need a mirror it's actually an advantage) and while the battery usually gets me through 2 days of moderate usage it takes over 2 hours to charge from 30%. Settings menu is a mess, for example you set app permissions in 3 completely different menus. But the volume level is by far the worst issue for me so far.

Ya charging is slow now tbf. Screen Is like a mirror but I haven't used much other phones so don't know how bad it is

sean29 wrote: »
    Does anyone else find the volume levels too low? I have everything set on maximum and I still miss some viber notifications when the phone is in my pocket. Is there any way to increse the volume without rooting?

I use this & find it very good:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tartar.soundprofilesfree&hl=en-GB

It does charge slowly but that's bound to be the case with such a big battery unless it has smart charge. I only ever need to charge overnight so it's not an issue.

Yes settings is a bit unusual but it does offer a lot of flexibility.

I am very pleased with mine & would replace it with the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Does anyone else find the volume levels too low?
    Yes! Especially when using the speaker phone or watching video and it's been the same with every phone I've ever owned. Unfortunately it's not going to change as volume levels are capped by EU law.

Scotty # wrote: »
    Yes! Especially when using the speaker phone or watching video and it's been the same with every phone I've ever owned. Unfortunately it's not going to change as volume levels are capped by EU law.

When I use headphones I have to agree to let the volume get higher. Then it's loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Does anyone else find the volume levels too low?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

The mi a1 has a very loud speaker. Loudest by far of any phone I've heard before.

I just fitted these. The case is a really good, solid fit. It's a hybrid so you fit the rubber surround first & then clip on the back. So far (touch wood) it isn't lifting the screen protector. The only downside is that some parts of the case feel a bit slippery but overall a good fit as is the protector.

Remember to order the Note 4x version if it is for a Note 4 Global - Snapdragon.

Note: It didn't have a cover over the headphone jack but does over the usb.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Olliwon-Carbon-Resilient-Anti-slip-Shockproof-Black/dp/B077D9Q1TY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518198539&sr=8-2&keywords=olliwon+redmi+note+4&dpID=51Qqqls4XmL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4X-Protector/dp/B071RCD3VX/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1518198780&sr=1-3&keywords=screen+protector+redmi+note+4x+black&dpID=51XaxFDENuL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

So I was checking off some features on my wishlist.

1) warranty ?

2) 4g/wifi

3)finger print login

4) enough memory to cope with the unnecessary bloat of updates which have forced me to uninstal apps I wanted in the past (despite being forced to keep some I didnt want)

Has anyone ordered and received a phone model theyre really happy with ?

And can hence recommend ? In particular Id like a recommendation of the supplier who sent it .

I found a nice phone and then did a check for how compatible it is with Irish networks. Despite being 4G , it was not compatible with all the Irish 4G networks. Although it was compatible with my current network (Virgin mobile) , I didnt want to limit my options ...

Using a temp phone at the moment which doesnt have fingerprint login and really missing it

Theres a 20% off thing on ali express at the moment which ends tomorrow so may as well buy the phone soon ... so any recommendations welcome.

Xiaomi looks good and a Chinese friend said its the brand most of them have over there. So a good phone and a reliable supplier are needed.

So I was checking off some features on my wishlist.

1) warranty ?

2) 4g/wifi

3)finger print login

4) enough memory to cope with the unnecessary bloat of updates which have forced me to uninstal apps I wanted in the past (despite being forced to keep some I didnt want)

Has anyone ordered and received a phone model theyre really happy with ?

And can hence recommend ? In particular Id like a recommendation of the supplier who sent it .

I found a nice phone and then did a check for how compatible it is with Irish networks. Despite being 4G , it was not compatible with all the Irish 4G networks. Although it was compatible with my current network (Virgin mobile) , I didnt want to limit my options ...

Using a temp phone at the moment which doesnt have fingerprint login and really missing it

Theres a 20% off thing on ali express at the moment which ends tomorrow so may as well buy the phone soon ... so any recommendations welcome.

Xiaomi looks good and a Chinese friend said its the brand most of them have over there. So a good phone and a reliable supplier are needed.

I wouldn't just buy off Ali especially as it's Chinese new Year. Geekbuying are the best & you can buy from their italian warehouse with fast cheap delivery & no customs charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

[XDA] Developer Brings Full Project Treble Compatibility to the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

How did he do it? He used the “cust” partition on the device for his make-shift vendor partition. The cust partition normally holds a lot of device-specific stuff from MIUI, so it’s essentially wasted space on an AOSP build. Using the approximately 830MB unused partition, he moved the vendor HALs from system into cust without needing to repartition—which was a justification that OEMs such as Nokia and OnePlus used in their statements about why they weren’t going to bring Treble compatibility to their devices.

[XDA] Install LineageOS 15.1 with Full Project Treble Support on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (Snapdragon)

Is anyone noticing increased battery drain with the recent MIUI updates?
    Mine seems to be running down quicker than usual at the minute.

Also, has anyone on here got a car in-vent holder that works well with the Note4? I ordered one from Amazon recently and has to send it back as its grip was pathetic and could not hold the phone in position when static, never mind during a journey.

• Advertisement

Can I assume from the thread subject line that you all Xiaomi Redmi fans ? If so which would you recommend me to get ? I need to bite the bullet and hand over my dosh ...

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Have a Blackview P2 at the moment and looking to change over to the Note 4. Any issues with Android Pay or Android Auto?

Can I assume from the thread subject line that you all Xiaomi Redmi fans ? If so which would you recommend me to get ? I need to bite the bullet and hand over my dosh ...

The Redmi Note 4 and/or Mi A1 are popular budget xiaomi devices.

But there is rumors of a possible Redmi Note 5 to be launched on 14th!
    It maybe just a re-branded Redmi 5/Plus with a better processor.
    Have a Blackview P2 at the moment and looking to change over to the Note 4. Any issues with Android Pay or Android Auto?

No NFC chip, so that rules out Android Pay!

corkie wrote: »
    The Redmi Note 4 and/or Mi A1 are popular budget xiaomi devices.

But there is rumors of a possible Redmi Note 5 to be launched on 14th!
    It maybe just a re-branded Redmi 5/Plus with a better processor.

!

A search on my phone of Aliexpress app and I am finding Xiaomi Redmi Note 5a

Is this an accurate result ?

A search on my phone of Aliexpress app and I am finding Xiaomi Redmi Note 5a

Is this an accurate result ?

Valid device, but not a true successor to Redmi Note 4.

Don't know much about that version and there is not much discussion about it, so not a popular device.

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5a_y1-review-1719p6.php

• Advertisement

Some of the notification tones are really loud. "Searchlight" is a good example. The standard tone is quite quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy the 64GB version of this phone (Honorbuy?) ? Shipping from europe please :) thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

gmisk wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy the 64GB version of this phone (Honorbuy?) ? Shipping from europe please :) thanks

Having bought from all sorts of places Honorbuy EW warehouse is the only place I buy now. Delivery is super fast, sometimes 2 days. 4 phones and counting. There may be cheaper places in China, but there is Duty and delivery can be hit and miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

+1 on getting it from Honorbuy. I went the cheaper route and am still waiting. Got a Mi 1a from Honorbuy in a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Thanks for that folks!
    Would you recommend buying now or do you think it will drop when Note 5 is released?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Are many people having the proximity sensor issue? I am thinking of sending mine back as I can't get it working properly and keep cutting people off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

What's a 6 month old note 4, 32gb snapdragon in pristine condition worth would anyone have an idea?

What's a 6 month old note 4, 32gb snapdragon in pristine condition worth would anyone have an idea?

You can buy brand new for approx €130/€140. So I guess you would be lucky to get something like €80 for it second hand.

corkie wrote: »
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 and Redmi Note 5 Pro specs leak in full

Redmi Note 5 is just a rebranded Redmi 5 Plus with a 6” screen and a Snapdragon 625 chipset.

Redmi Note 5 Pro, arriving with Snapdragon 636, dual-cam on the back, arranged in the upper left corner like the iPhone X, and a 20 MP selfie snapper on the front.

To be launched tomorrow in India.

The Redmi Note 5 Pro, maybe worth the upgrade from my RN3, if a global version with band 20 gets release. I will probably wait till after July and see how much support it gets for custom roms.

:)

Help!
    My note 4 is doing my head in at the minute.
    I got an answerphone message last week. Listened to it and then deleted it. However the phone still seems to think there is a message and continually beeps to remind me about it and puts out a notification icon.

I've tried rebooting the phone and going back into the answerphone, but all to no affect.

Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Help!
    I got an answerphone message last week. Listened to it and then deleted it. However the phone still seems to think there is a message and continually beeps to remind me about it and puts out a notification icon.

I've tried rebooting the phone and going back into the answerphone, but all to no affect.

Any suggestions?

Are you using more than one dialler app ?

Help!

Any suggestions?

Have you tried clearing app data and cache for the dialer app?

Is the message stored on the network your with and not on the device itself, or are you using some sort of answering app on your phone?

Discodog wrote: »
    Are you using more than one dialler app ?

Just using the standard dialler.
    When I phone through to the answerphone there is no message there.

How do I clear data and cache for doodle?
    I thought this would be covered by the cleaner in the security app which runs regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

I thought this would be covered by the cleaner in the security app which runs regularly.

Settings-Apps

Click on the dialer app you use and it should then give you the option to clear data/cache.

Be careful with the cleaner app, it could wipe TWRP backups and other important stuff, if you don't white-list them.

It is been a good few months since I used MIUI.

[Tech] [MIUI Resources Team] How and when to clear app cache or data on Android?

Twrp?

Twrp?

Custom Recovery, only applies if you have an unlocked bootloader and have that installed on your device.

I only have the "Contacts and Dialer" app.

I found a cache to delete. Do I need to delete the data under the storage subsection?

However, why do I need to do this now. It has never been a problem before.

• Advertisement

I only have the "Contacts and Dialer" app.

I found a cache to delete. Do I need to delete the data under the storage subsection?

However, why do I need to do this now. It has never been a problem before.

Try the cache, first and force close the app. If that doesn't resolve it, you would also need to clear data.

You just encounter a Bug with the app, maybe it got updated recently.

Advertisement