Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭seanin4711

best place in europe to get this phone?
    thanks
    John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

seanin4711 wrote: »
    best place in europe to get this phone?
    thanks
    John

Geekbuying Italy warehouse. But watch out for delays from Chinese new year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Discodog wrote: »
    I just fitted these. The case is a really good, solid fit. It's a hybrid so you fit the rubber surround first & then clip on the back. So far (touch wood) it isn't lifting the screen protector. The only downside is that some parts of the case feel a bit slippery but overall a good fit as is the protector.

Remember to order the Note 4x version if it is for a Note 4 Global - Snapdragon.

Note: It didn't have a cover over the headphone jack but does over the usb.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Olliwon-Carbon-Resilient-Anti-slip-Shockproof-Black/dp/B077D9Q1TY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518198539&sr=8-2&keywords=olliwon+redmi+note+4&dpID=51Qqqls4XmL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4X-Protector/dp/B071RCD3VX/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1518198780&sr=1-3&keywords=screen+protector+redmi+note+4x+black&dpID=51XaxFDENuL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

This one does that! Do not buy: Back protector

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

I fin't this one very good - not bulky and has great grip to it: Back protector

j@utis wrote: »
    This one does that! Do not buy: Back protector

Mine is still excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I have the note 4x a few months now and think it's an amazing phone for the money BUT it has one really annoying flaw. None of the headphones I've tried to use with it will fit the headphone jack properly. So they sit there loosely and come loose in an instant unless you're sitting perfectly still with the phone in your hand. Useless for listening out and about. Please tell me I'm not the only one with that problem?

Additionally, whenever I unplug the headphones, the phone still thinks the headphones are plugged in and no sound comes through the speakers. I spend several minutes inserting and removing the headphone jack before it finally registers they've been removed.

Infuriating, but a great phone apart from that!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

no such headphone issues on my Note 4 - perhaps you got a faulty unit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

No problem here either with my Note 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

I have the note 4x a few months now and think it's an amazing phone for the money BUT it has one really annoying flaw. None of the headphones I've tried to use with it will fit the headphone jack properly. So they sit there loosely and come loose in an instant unless you're sitting perfectly still with the phone in your hand. Useless for listening out and about. Please tell me I'm not the only one with that problem?

Additionally, whenever I unplug the headphones, the phone still thinks the headphones are plugged in and no sound comes through the speakers. I spend several minutes inserting and removing the headphone jack before it finally registers they've been removed.

Infuriating, but a great phone apart from that!

[Discussion] redmi note 4 headphone jack problem: - http://c.mi.com/thread-116141-1-1.html

First thing to check is if your inserting them correctly, as pushing them in fully?

Googling some people say that twisting the headphone resolves the problem.

Another option is choosing the type/model of headset in settings (even if there not the actual model used) : -

Mi Note 4 Stuck-up in earphone mode " SOLVED" : - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-xk1TFggLA

Drastic measure and if your handy at taking the phone apart, replacing the part in the phone: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rseLAeEAlJk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Where is the best place to buy the 4x model, I have a redmi note 2 prime for over two years, still working perfectly but fancy an upgrade, I had to install Google play and the global rom when I got it, don't want to go through this again,

• Advertisement

august12 wrote: »
    Where is the best place to buy the 4x model, I have a redmi note 2 prime for over two years, still working perfectly but fancy an upgrade, I had to install Google play and the global rom when I got it, don't want to go through this again,

First off all, if not in rush, wait for a Global Redmi Note 5 Pro[WHYRED] to be made available. (estimate 1 - 6 months time period).

Second the naming of this device with or without the X causes confusion there the same device but you should get one with Band 20 Support.

Place to buy EU warehouse with
    https://www.honorbuy.com/178-xiaomi-redmi-note-4-global-version

or Goldway EU DHL VAT free shipping: -
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Global-Version-Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core-4GB-RAM-64GB/311331_32804594316.html

Other aliexpress stores also have VAT Free shipping so price around and check band support.

corkie wrote:
    Second the naming of this device with or without the X causes confusion there the same device but you should get one with Band 20 Support.

So the 4 and 4x are one and the same, didn't realise that, thanks for the info, the dual SIM on these phones are so handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

no such headphone issues on my Note 4 - perhaps you got a faulty unit?

Mine is actually the 4x if that makes any difference. Have tried 3 sets of headphones now, and none of them will click in the full way. All 3 will fit my tablet fine. Its been like that since day 1 so I don't think it's dirt in the socket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Has there been any official Oreo 8.0 ota update for the global version of the RN4?

GBX wrote: »
    Has there been any official Oreo 8.0 ota update for the global version of the RN4?

it may or may not get Oreo. Most saying it won't. Of course it's not Oreo directly but Oreo within the version of MIUI.
    It's not long since the phone got the nougat version of MIUI (version 9) - Nov '17

the precedent is that that the budget lines only get 1 major update.
    e.g. the redmi note 3 did not get MIUI 9 (nougat)

It's not as if it's a big deal - it's still a good phone. There is too much focus and outcry on whether a phone gets an update or not sometimes.

there are some custom roms with oreo that you could install on the phone but then you risk not everything working perfectly.

glasso wrote: »
    it may or may not get Oreo. Most saying it won't. Of course it's not Oreo directly but Oreo within the version of MIUI.
    It's not long since the phone got the nougat version of MIUI (version 9) - Nov '17

the precedent is that that the budget lines only get 1 major update.
    e.g. the redmi note 3 did not get MIUI 9 (nougat)

It's not as if it's a big deal - it's still a good phone. There is too much focus and outcry on whether a phone gets an update or not sometimes.

there are some custom roms with oreo that you could install on the phone but then you risk not everything working perfectly.

Cheers. Yeah it's updated to Miui 9 but was just curious. I'd agree there's a lot of focus on the latest updates and I've been guilty of it myself with other phones. I've no problem trying different ROMs but this is 2 weeks old and as long as it's working grand that's all that matters for my gf. It's her phone.

Cheers. Yeah it's updated to Miui 9 but was just curious. I'd agree there's a lot of focus on the latest updates and I've been guilty of it myself with other phones. I've no problem trying different ROMs but this is 2 weeks old and as long as it's working grand that's all that matters for my gf. It's her phone.

there is unlikely to be some life-changing feature in an android update tbh :)
    a lot of it is people just focussed on the fact of the update and having to have it.

I just received the screen protector listed here for my Redmi Note 4 global version, gold color, however the notification LED opening is on the wrong side.

Not sure if its meant for the note 4X or another variant, but its no use to me, so it anyone has a model with the notification led on the right hand side, and this is any use to you, pm me.

I just received the screen protector listed here for my Redmi Note 4 global version, gold color, however the notification LED opening is on the wrong side.

Not sure if its meant for the note 4X or another variant, but its no use to me, so it anyone has a model with the notification led on the right hand side, and this is any use to you, pm me.

It's for the Note 4 Indian version. You need this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4X-Protector/dp/B071RCD3VX/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1518198780&sr=1-3&keywords=screen+protector+redmi+note+4x+black&dpID=51XaxFDENuL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

The 4x one fits the 4 Global perfectly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

corkie wrote: »
    Valid device, but not a true successor to Redmi Note 4.

Don't know much about that version and there is not much discussion about it, so not a popular device.

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5a_y1-review-1719p6.php

well apparently its on its way from China and I should have it in a week. Ill let you all know what I think of it when it arrives. I ordered 64 GB with Nillkin Glass, fingerprint sensor etc . A load of stuff that came in around 135 euro . I'll let you know if I get stung at customs for any taxes.

• Advertisement

well apparently its on its way from China and I should have it in a week. Ill let you all know what I think of it when it arrives. I ordered 64 GB with Nillkin Glass, fingerprint sensor etc . A load of stuff that came in around 135 euro . I'll let you know if I get stung at customs for any taxes.

where you order?

has anyone tried to get the camera 2 api working on the redmi note 4 for hdr+ through google camera?
    if so, did you find that it makes a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

where you order?

Ali Express . It's still not here lol

A friend from Eastern Europe visited me recently . A rich dude who works in.a.big four company ... anyway I mentioned that phone and he said lots of his friends have it and that Brand Xiaomi is really good ..Was reassuring to hear it's not just a cheapskate option . It is good.quality too

Ali Express . It's still not here lol

A friend from Eastern Europe visited me recently . A rich dude who works in.a.big four company ... anyway I mentioned that phone and he said lots of his friends have it and that Brand Xiaomi is really good ..Was reassuring to hear it's not just a cheapskate option . It is good.quality too

Xiaomi is a solid brand that make a range of electronics or brand items from manufacturers they source (powerbanks, chargers, wifi led lights and other home automation stuff, wifi routers, robo vacuums etc etc). Most of their products are very good. With phones they make phones from budget (60 euro) to flagship (600 euro) so the whole range.

I have the Note 4, a MiBand 2 & a Powerbank. All are excellent quality. I would chose Xiaomi without hesitation

Discodog wrote:
    I have the Note 4, a MiBand 2 & a Powerbank. All are excellent quality. I would chose Xiaomi without hesitation

Same here except I have a redmi note 2 prime going on three years plus mi band, some power banks, usb LED lights, great during power cuts, can't fault any of these items.

Option A Get Redmi 4X from gearbest european hub - alleged to have european delivery from G-W-5(where ever that is ) but its 4.50 delivery. for €119 alleged to be 3-4 days

Option B 2gb redmi 4a for €85 on done deal

Option C is switch number to vodafone and get p8 lite for €119 and a free rugby jersey

what would you do with your 120€???
    thanks

Option C is switch number to vodafone and get p8 lite for €119 and a free rugby jersey

Option C will probably tie you into a new contract and you will end up paying more for the phone in the long run.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

I have the note 4 for approximately 7 months . Great phone . Can't fault it for the price. Im thinking of updating and am wondering is there a note 5 or what is the next step up? Thanks

• Advertisement

Autochange wrote: »
    I have the note 4 for approximately 7 months . Great phone . Can't fault it for the price. Im thinking of updating and am wondering is there a note 5 or what is the next step up? Thanks

Redmi Note 5[China] due to be announced tomorrow.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comments/84g5ba/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_pro_launching_in_europe_soon/

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Launching In Europe Soon

How many times better is the mi6 given the significant larger cost?

Though I believe there's no earphone jack!?

Has anyone got a call confirm app to work? I occasionally make unintended calls. Apparently non of these apps work on miui.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

has anyone tried to get the camera 2 api working on the redmi note 4 for hdr+ through google camera?
    if so, did you find that it makes a difference?

I activated it by downloading a google camera apk for snapdragon processors and had to edit the build properties file. Your device needs to be rooted to do this.

I did it for the hdr+ option but to be honest, I think you need a tripod and remote to notice the difference. Hdr+ basically takes 3 pictures at different exposures so that you get more accurate colours in your photos. The only problem there is that you need to keep the camera quite steady.

I ended up just going back to standard pictures.

I might be wrong here but I think it allows you to manually control the shutter speed too. I use Open Camera and it lets me do this.

best place in europer for both please?
    thanks

seanin4711 wrote:
    best place in europer for both please? thanks

Do you mean xiaomi 4x and cover?

• Advertisement

My gf got this phone but it was shipped with a 4x tempered glass protector. Free to anybody who has this device. I'll throw it in the post. PM me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

My gf got this phone but it was shipped with a 4x tempered glass protector. Free to anybody who has this device. I'll throw it in the post. PM me

PM'd you.

The Global Note 4 needs a 4x screen protector. The Note 4 has the LED on the right, the Global, snapdragon version has it on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

best place in europer for both please?
    thanks

I'm also looking for a note 4 from a Europe warehouse. Any suggestions?

redmi note 4 seems to be running low on stock as it's run out and prices are not as cheap as they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

redmi note 4 seems to be running low on stock as it's run out and prices are not as cheap as they were.

How about the note 5. Worth the upgrade and eu stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

I just purchased from that link and now I'm freaking that it's dodge! Anyone have any dealings with that seller to reassure me?

Anyone else update to 9.5.4 ? What are your thoughts ?

I did - can't say I noticed any differences - just bug fixes in the main

I did - can't say I noticed any differences - just bug fixes in the main

Some are reporting reduced battery life. My battery dropped after the update but seems back to normal.

youngblood wrote: »
    I just purchased from that link and now I'm freaking that it's dodge! Anyone have any dealings with that seller to reassure me?

what link - one for the mi a1? the eglobal one? (ebay seller link is eglobal also).
    I've bought from them in the past - no issues - may take a week to receive, that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Notifications look a bit different. You can assign a contact speed dial to each digit on the dialler. Haven't really noticed much else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

I have been having a problem with my note 4 . While on phone calls the speaker is crackling and distorted. It's difficult to hear what the person on the other end is saying.
    Has this come up before as a software issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

Anyone elses note 4 bend. I am on my second. First seemed to bend a little which I blamed myself for thinking I must of sat on it. Then I did drop it and smash the screen. So I bought another and after 2 weeks it cracked the screen which after I examined it was due to it bending. I definitely knew it was not due to being sat on or anything. Brought first phone into local repair shop yesterday and he said it looked like battery had expanded.
    Didn't bother trying to return phone as I never get anywhere as it's always blamed on user error

• Advertisement
Advertisement