Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gealforce ultra

Options
  • 17-11-2017 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

hi guys, just looking for some experienced advice, I have been running for the last two years and iv, done a dozen half marathons, two marathons in the last year, but I'm starting to really enjoy adventure races,well the two iv done, first one was the moxie and I started with the small course done really well came in 1st, then stepped it up to the quest achill 63km expert and found it not to bad but I was feeling it near the end, but the weather that day made everything so much harder....
    well I was thinking of doing the gealforce ultra which is 153km approx. 120km on bike, 30km run , climb and mountain, just wondering has anyone trained for something like this before and how did they approach the training plan.....run mileage to bike mileage...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

In true adventure racing terms that is a short sprinty race. Expedition length ARs are 3 days or longer by definition. So plenty of people have trained for much longer races that GFU. There's no magic to it. Just put in the hard work. Lots of running, lots of cycling. Try and structure your training. Remember specifity (i.e you train for mountain runs best by running in mountains, for example), and don't obsess over minor details (Food, drink, shoes, whatever. It's the the focussed hard work that makes the difference).

• Registered Users Posts: 28 flash84962

I came from a similar background as the OP. Road running initially and then mulit-sports events. I did a similar event to GFU in June (city2summit) , which would have been my first 6hr plus event.

My prep at the time was mainly about building my bike miles as I felt comfortable with the running. So I did a lot of 100k+ cycles. And getting used to moving for 6hours+, so did a lot of fast hiking.

I don't think GF has published the full route but I have a feeling the mountain running part of GFU will probably take in a some part of the mountain running race they organize in March, so it might be worth entering that to get a feel for the terrain.

Advertisement