Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possessive apostrophe

• 17-11-2017 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭

I’ve to design a sign for a friend and was wondering which of these is correct?
    Kenny being the surname obviously.

Christmas at the Kenny’s
    Or
    Christmas at the Kennys’

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Would it be the same for a name ending in ‘s’? Such as Jones?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

On that note, shouldn't it be "at the Kennies"? ("y" preceded by a consonant becomes "ie" before "s", as in "studies")? I'm not nitpicking, BTW, this is a genuine question. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

"the Kenny's/Kennys" isn't great to start with....

"Christmas at the Kenny Residence/House/Household" takes the apostrophe out of play altogether and "Christmas at Kennys' " works better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Imagine if the surname were Butcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Imagine if the surname were Butcher.

Or Hoare....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thank you! :)

• Advertisement

I assume that it’s Kennys’ because it’s shorthand for the Kennys’ house. House being implicit.

I feel that no apostrophe works too. It depends where you think the implicit house is in the sentence. Could be [the house of the] Kennys.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

I spotted an Irish pub in the south of France recently. The name over the door is The Quay's.

It’s never used. The Ladies is The Ladies not The Ladies’.

Most would find that odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

New Home wrote: »
    On that note, shouldn't it be "at the Kennies"? ("y" preceded by a consonant becomes "ie" before "s", as in "studies")? I'm not nitpicking, BTW, this is a genuine question. :)

May the Lord save you from Srameen's ire.

I asked because I wasn't sure, now I know and I'll remember. Isn't that how we learn? :) Better than not to ask and to continue to make the same mistake, isn't it?

Anyway, I've taken out life insurance, so... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Make life easy for yourself. Make it "Christmas with the Kennys." No apostrophe, no problem.

By the way, "going to the ladies" usually means "going to the ladies' toilets, so really an apostrophe is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I’ve to design a sign for a friend and was wondering which of these is correct?
    Kenny being the surname obviously.

Christmas at the Kenny’s
    Or
    Christmas at the Kennys’

Thanks.

If the Kennys include Mr and Mrs. Kenny, the kids, the granny and the dog, then the second is more correct.
    However if Paddy Kenny is a batchelor with no known relatives the first would be right. Of course, if some damsel set her eye on him, which, he being a shopkeeper, would doubtless happen, he might ultimately have to go to the expense of changing it.
    But I read an article in recent years on this very subject which posed the question: why not just write Kennys, no apostrophe?

feargale wrote: »
    If the Kennys include Mr and Mrs. Kenny, the kids, the granny and the dog, then the second is more correct.
    However if Paddy Kenny is a batchelor with no known relatives the first would be right. Of course, if some damsel set her eye on him, which, he being a shopkeeper, would doubtless happen, he might ultimately have to go to the expense of changing it.
    But I read an article in recent years on this very subject which posed the question: why not just write Kennys, no apostrophe?

As I said that exactly what Ladies’ toilets do. You never see an apostrophe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Literally on the Luas right now and the next stop is James's. Seems weirder the more I look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I find a good rule of thumb is that unless you're absolutely sure where to put an apostrophe just leave them out altogether. It looks much more wrong to have an incorrect apostrophe than to be missing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Omackeral wrote: »
    Literally on the Luas right now and the next stop is James's. Seems weirder the more I look at it.

There was an argument in London some years ago as to whether the SW5 tube station was Earls Court or Earl's Court.

https://londonist.com/2015/07/itsnotpossibletogetanapostropheinaurl

Advertisement