Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The robot that really could take your job.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105294308&postcount=7467
    If robots this agile become mass produced they'll start taking the jobs that only menial workers can do, like loading bins into the bin lorry to be emptied or wiping old people's arses.

They'll be no jobs left, who is going to earn the money to pay for it all?????

The same people who earn the vast majority of the money now but they'll have to be taxed accordingly. Vast wealth is being and will be generated from automation and it will lead to enormous unemployment. Universal Basic Income needs to be phased in now, immediately, and as this situation gets worse it needs to be increased so people who want to work but are unable to can lead a good standard of life.

One good thing about this is it will give the arts a huge bump as you will have motivated talented people sitting around with nothing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105294308&postcount=7467
    If robots this agile become mass produced they'll start taking the jobs that only menial workers can do, like loading bins into the bin lorry to be emptied or wiping old people's arses.

They'll be no jobs left, who is going to earn the money to pay for it all?????

...wiping old people's arses!

Will that same robot comfort them in their dying days, care for them and their families, etc etc.

There are some jobs that robots can't do, and cant replicate or replace human emotion.

Mint Sauce wrote: »

Will that same robot comfort them in their dying days, care for them and their families, etc etc.

There are some jobs that robots can't do, and cant replicate or replace human emotion.

Wanna bet? AI will be able to easily replicate that in a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Care home owners don't really care about that, if the robots are cheaper to run than the wage bill, then it's no contest.

• Advertisement

Should every company that replaces a human with a robot have to pay a stipend into the state every year? Again if a scheme like that was going to be done it would have to be done double quick.

edit: Stipend's probably the wrong word but you get my meaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Wait til he comes after you with a gun in his hand :eek:

On a serious note. We'll just do away with money. We let the robots do stuff and go playing golf all week,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

we're Irish

we be fine

won't happen here

Wait til he comes after you with a gun in his hand :eek:

On a serious note. We'll just do away with money. We let the robots do stuff and go playing golf all week,

Like every great industrial revolution this will only serve to make the gap between the rich and poor even greater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Definitely. There are plenty of jobs that people wont accept robots doing.

We basically have full employment in most western countries, despite seven decades of increasing automation.

I think the next 20 years will be interesting as machine learning and AI take the fore.

Yesterday Tesla showcased their new electric truck, with autopilot as standard. Could wipe out hundreds of thousands of haulage jobs with 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I will be at an age when they do arrive that I can clatter them with my walking stick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

But but... my job isn't jumping?

Care home owners don't really care about that, if the robots are cheaper to run than the wage bill, then it's no contest.

Families, HIQA, and the HSE might though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Well I for one welcome our new robotic overlords.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Jayop wrote: »
    Should every company that replaces a human with a robot have to pay a stipend into the state every year? Again if a scheme like that was going to be done it would have to be done double quick.

It's not that simple. A robot might be able to replace some tasks but it will be a long time before they can replace a human entirely.
    Look at any company now: I'm some shape or form they have automated processes that were once manual.
    Even a kitchen food processor is replacing a once manual task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

I for one welcome the day that robots will do all my farmwork so I can sit on the couch and watch d'telly.
    Be great to order my team of robots off to their days work and send some to drive tractors, milk cows and feed and bed the cattle without putting myself in harm's way.

Bring it on I say. Can't really see it happening in the next 30 years though.
    Hopefully though.
    Although knowing mankind they'll be used for military purposes first and then they'll be banned before making it down to agricultural use.

Floki wrote: »
    I for one welcome the day that robots will do all my farmwork so I can sit on the couch and watch d'telly.
    Be great to order my team of robots off to their days work and send some to drive tractors, milk cows and feed and bed the cattle without putting myself in harm's way.

Bring it on I say. Can't really see it happening in the next 30 years though.
    Hopefully though.
    Although knowing mankind they'll be used for military purposes first and then they'll be banned before making it down to agricultural use.

Well autonomous tractors and harvesters exist in concept.
    Robotic milkers already exist. Suppose its not too difficult to automate most things in a farm. You just need lots of cash and high reliability.

There's actually millions to be made in automated farming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

We need these guys. Can do all the jobs for us and nothing could possibly go wrong.

tos-centurion.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

eeguy wrote: »
    Well autonomous tractors and harvesters exist in concept.
    Robotic milkers already exist. Suppose its not too difficult to automate most things in a farm. You just need lots of cash and high reliability.

There's actually millions to be made in automated farming.

It would be way cooler though to see "this guy" stepping into a conventional tractor and being able to operate it the same as a human.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

"The truth is that many of the qualities we admire in human beings can only function in opposition to some kind of disaster, pain, or difficulty; but the tendency of mechanical progress is to eliminate disaster, pain, and difficulty."
    -George Orwell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

He'd need to be one hell of a robot.

kbannon wrote: »
    It's not that simple. A robot might be able to replace some tasks but it will be a long time before they can replace a human entirely.
    Look at any company now: I'm some shape or form they have automated processes that were once manual.
    Even a kitchen food processor is replacing a once manual task.

Of course they can never replace all jobs, however certain industries will be completely gone soon. Take the OP's example of bin lorries. You'll have an automated lorry being driven by no-one and a robot pulling the bin into it if that task still needs to be done. Just driving jobs alone that are certain in my opinion to be a thing of the past will be devastating to the jobs market.

Of course they can never replace all jobs, however certain industries will be completely gone soon. Take the OP's example of bin lorries. You'll have an automated lorry being driven by no-one and a robot pulling the bin into it if that task still needs to be done. Just driving jobs alone that are certain in my opinion to be a thing of the past will be devastating to the jobs market.

Lets just hope they are better than some of the bin lorry drivers around here. Suppose it does mean doing away with that Xmas tip though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

robots will be able to perform head transplant surgery pretty soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I'd say it's only a matter of time, and not too much time either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

They are opening a shop in cork that has no staff in it whatsoever, I think you purchase and pay for your things online and scan them through when leaving the shop. With self service checkouts, a lot of retail jobs in the future will be lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Definitely. There are plenty of jobs that people wont accept robots doing.

We basically have full employment in most western countries, despite seven decades of increasing automation.

I think the next 20 years will be interesting as machine learning and AI take the fore.

Yesterday Tesla showcased their new electric truck, with autopilot as standard. Could wipe out hundreds of thousands of haulage jobs with 10 years.

And Jaguar Landrover are currently testing driverless cars in Coventry.

Taxi Drivers will be gone in 20 years. Particularly when you read this bit
    A study by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, the industry trade body, has calculated that 320,000 British jobs could be created by 2030 if the UK establishes itself as a leader in the field.The Government announced policies in last year’s Queen’s Speech that were aimed at minimising red tape for self-driving cars.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/11/17/driverless-cars-british-roads-jaguar-land-rover-moves-ahead/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

"sleep little dumpling, I am your mother now."
    -Nannybot 4000

And Jaguar Landrover are currently testing driverless cars in Coventry.

Ya, when you have quotes like this:

Mark Rosekind, when still chief regulator of the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, noted the problem with waiting for perfect cars to replace imperfect human drivers on the road.

“We can’t stand idly by while we wait for the perfect,” Rosekind said at a symposium in 2016. “We lost 35,200 lives on our roads last year. … If we wait for perfect, we’ll be waiting for a very, very long time. How many lives might we be losing if we wait?”

The US has almost literally paved the way for autonomous cars. Waymo revealed a few weeks ago they've been running fully autonomous cars on the road with no safety driver.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Should every company that offshores a job have to pay for the social welfare of the person they let go ?

Or alternatively should companies based in this country quoting for government funded contracts be entitled to charge slightly more than foreign companies on the basis that it'll take some one off the dole ?

At present the only back pressure for offshoring jobs is customer changing provider but when they are all doing it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I know the words to this song and sing it every chance I get when I'm in company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Lets just hope they are better than some of the bin lorry drivers around here. Suppose it does mean doing away with that Xmas tip though.

Naw, run out and give them a quick squirt of WD40, sure it's tradition.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

“We can’t stand idly by while we wait for the perfect,” Rosekind said at a symposium in 2016. “We lost 35,200 lives on our roads last year. … If we wait for perfect, we’ll be waiting for a very, very long time. How many lives might we be losing if we wait?”

Currently loosing 21,386 a year due to suicide by gun.
    And the vast majority are because guns are just so effective that there's little chance of intervention.

Working back on the on stats then if there were 22,161 suicide attempts then depending on what was used there'd be
    21,386 gun deaths
    1,640 poison deaths
    1,130 cutting deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Interesting and scary times ahead. I wonder how we will react to such high levels of unemployment. I know a lot , probably most of us, don't enjoy their jobs. Mine is fine..but I hate being unemployed. Even for just a month, I feel so purposeless, get a bit depressed.The routine of work is something quite nice that I took a bit for granted. Wonder if it happens many others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

wakka12 wrote: »
    Interesting and scary times ahead. I wonder how we will react to such high levels of unemployment. I know a lot , probably most of us, don't enjoy their jobs. Mine is fine..but I hate being unemployed. Even for just a month, I feel so purposeless, get a bit depressed.The routine of work is something quite nice that I took a bit for granted. Wonder if it happens many others

This. So much this. My current job provides me with mental stimulation and a purpose. And I thrive on it. I regularly have to problem solve at work. Calculations and analysis. It's making me smarter every day IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

fin12 wrote: »
    They are opening a shop in cork that has no staff in it whatsoever, I think you purchase and pay for your things online and scan them through when leaving the shop. With self service checkouts, a lot of retail jobs in the future will be lost.

Well, and we come full circle. That idea was trued before, conpletely new idea back then. It failed, because it was too impersonal and put people off. I wish I could remember the details, but I'm 95% sure it was talked about in Bill Bryson's Made in America. I think it was 50s or 60s.

Edit: regarding work and unemployment, 18months of unemployment nearly broke me. The depression and anxiety became a black hole and there were many panic attacks at night. Is this right, that humans should be so bound up in the need to work? I suppose it is a continuation of the deep-set instinct to work all day, every day for survival, an indirect expression of the hunt for food and security that every animal has.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

Jobs to be replaced:- .............

Any and all office jobs ........... as everything will be electronic and anybody needing assistance will be communicating with software where you are given options.

A lot of manufacturing jobs.

A lot of food production jobs.

Most warehouse type jobs.

Most transport jobs.

Construction will change and houses will be built in factories so then become manufacturing.

Housewives will be replaced as robots have audio on/off switch. :D

Sanitary towel and pregnancy testing equipment workers will be redundant as the population becomes transexual on their 1st birthday. :rolleyes:

Last jobs going where humans are employed will be council officials, union officials and politicians as these people will put every obstacle in place to avoid change using money stolen obtained from the public.

Currently loosing 21,386 a year due to suicide by gun.
    And the vast majority are because guns are just so effective that there's little chance of intervention.

Working back on the on stats then if there were 22,161 suicide attempts then depending on what was used there'd be
    21,386 gun deaths
    1,640 poison deaths
    1,130 cutting deaths.

:confused::confused::confused: In Ireland?

123shooter wrote: »
    Jobs to be replaced:- .............

Housewives will be replaced as robots have audio on/off switch. :D

Sanitary towel and pregnancy testing equipment workers will be redundant as the population becomes transexual on their 1st birthday. :rolleyes:

A) a tad hysterical and B) what are you on about?

Samaris wrote: »
    A) a tad hysterical and B) what are you on about?

T'was a joke. :) Do you not read the news?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3298715/Children-young-FOUR-given-transgender-lessons-encourage-explore-gender-identities.html

• Advertisement

Well, there's the news and then there's the Daily Mail :D. Sorry though, Poe's Law in action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Families, HIQA, and the HSE might though

If I have the choice between staying at home minded by a robot or going in a nursing home it's the robot every time for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Except where they can’t. Or where the robots can do that.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

That actually is a distortion of the truth although not intentional.

In the future you will not be communicating with people as office jobs and admin are the easiest to replace.

Critical thinking only needs a small amount of people and the short term 'degree' higher education boom of the past 20 years is over loaded and there is a mass shortage of skilled tradesmen.

The majority of the population has moved into the service economies with low pay and part time work where these people are also going to be easily replaced by automation.

This time there could be problems with the transfer of jobs......... as there was when it first happened with the industrial revolution. The last thing a country wants is idle hands as this could lead to all sorts.

But something else may come along and save the day yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jacknuig

hmm, Watson is IBM's artificial intelligence system. Already beyond human intelligence some may say. Capable of processing entire literature on any subject and acting on that information. For example, Watson will be used to formulate treatment in oncology as they say cancer is unique to the patient, so the treatment should be. It has read vast amounts of literature and takes into consideration every variable, presenting the optimal treatment plan. It will only present these plans, and will not suggest any course of action due to one fact; liability. That's were humans will come in, and they will take the liability. IBM don't want any potential lawsuits. This is already common practice in many workplaces, were the bosses just sign off and accept liability for any decision. So I wouldn't worry about AI taking over jobs as humans will have to validate many of these processes.

And the reason why they won't ever accept liability is due to the fact that ai lacks, and will forever lack (imo), human judgement. They are oblivious to say, sarcasm, empathy etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

<Deathbed clichéd platitude mode engage>
    "There are plenty more fish in the sea."

That actually is a total distortion of the truth although not intentional.

In the future you will not be communicating with people as office jobs and admin are the easiest to replace.

Critical thinking only needs a small amount of people and the short term 'degree' higher education boom of the past 20 years is over loaded and there is a mass shortage of skilled tradesmen.

The majority of the population has moved into the service economies with low pay and part time work where these people are also going to be easily replaced by automation.

This time there could be problems with the transfer of jobs......... as there was when it first happened with the industrial revolution. The last thing a country wants is idle hands as this could lead to all sorts.

But something else may come along and save the day yet.
    Which is precisely why the current "consumerism" came into being, products that could last many years are now made to fail after a short period of time, this creates many jobs in the retail trade and all other ancillary businesses.

Manufacturing was exported years ago to exploit cheap labour and to avoid the troublesome local unionised labour.

But all these jobs are low paid, so where as in the past only one breadwinner was needed to support the average household, two or more are required. Unless you want to only have a subsistence lifestyle.

In the 1960s we were sold the dream of only needing to work part time and have lots of leisure time as robots would do all the mundane stuff.

What happened to that! We now have to work longer hours than ever to have the stuff that advertisers tell us we "need" to have meaningful lives and because the neighbours already have one.

There are only so many "makey uppy" jobs that can be created to soak up the hours that many have on their hands, it seems to be easier to just pay them the dole and get cheap migrants to do the work instead.

But if smart robots start competing at this level, then what??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Which is precisely why the current "consumerism" came into being, products that could last many years are now made to fail after a short period of time, this creates many jobs in the retail trade and all other ancillary businesses.

But we now know this cannot go on.
    Manufacturing was exported years ago to exploit cheap labour and to avoid the troublesome local unionised labour.
    Globalisation under multinational companies is also under threat and has been seen to be detrimental to the native countries. Look at Brexit and the trouble in other EU countries because of this.

In the 1960s we were sold the dream of only needing to work part time and have lots of leisure time as robots would do all the mundane stuff.

What happened to that! We now have to work longer hours than ever to have the stuff that advertisers tell us we "need" to have meaningful lives and because the neighbours already have one.

Yeah I remember that and also in the late 1980's/early 1990's being told I could retire at 55 and I must take out a pension plan for this. It all turned out to be total garbage, but there still trying to peddle the pension myth in Ireland anyway............great money making idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement