Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wire-Is it any good?

Options

Comments

Penn wrote: »
    I'll go to my grave saying Frank Sobotka is the greatest character on the show.

He's a very relatable character. I think we'd all love a boss like Frank Sobotka. Loyal to a fault.

dobman88 wrote: »
    We the same tho. You got the briefcase, I got the shotgun. That's the game.

The shrug of the shoulders the judge (Phelan) gives Levy is priceless. Another very understated character.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

He's a very relatable character. I think we'd all love a boss like Frank Sobotka. Loyal to a fault.

He was the character who was the most socially conscious in the whole show. Above any of the police or politicians. Wanted to improve things for all the workers and their families more than himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I'm.watching again watched seasons 1 and 2 so far. Season 2 was much better 2nd time around as I agree it is a big departure from season 1 and I missed the season 1 characters a bit on first watch. They come back of course which is great.

Excellent show, up there with Sopranos. Check out Oz too if you liked both the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Edit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

To Wire Fans:Some of the Gang from the Wire is in "The Deuce" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dvpkyRx_ak

I suspect they are having a few Wire based In-Jokes too, maybe coz I am just watching the Wire again at the moment too I think I spotted a few. Good news for the Frank Sobatka fan here, he is back (sorta) and I think his Pre-Fab is back too.

I don't really like the Deuce that much but it could grow on me like the Wire. I really do not like James Franco. I wonder is Chris from the Wire out of Prison, maybe he will do me a favour involving Chris Franco like he did for Michael from the Wire! :eek::eek::eek:

P.S. The Wire: Lester, DeAndre Barksdale, Lawyer Levy, Frank Sobatka spotted so far in the Deuce.

To Wire Fans:Some of the Gang from the Wire is in "The Deuce" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dvpkyRx_ak

I suspect they are having a few Wire based In-Jokes too, maybe coz I am just watching the Wire again at the moment too I think I spotted a few. Good news for the Frank Sobatka fan here, he is back (sorta) and I think his Pre-Fab is back too.

I don't really like the Deuce that much but it could grow on me like the Wire. I really do not like James Franco. I wonder is Chris from the Wire out of Prison, maybe he will do me a favour involving Chris Franco like he did for Michael from the Wire! :eek::eek::eek:

P.S. The Wire: Lester, DeAndre Barksdale, Lawyer Levy, Frank Sobatka spotted so far in the Deuce.

Gbenga Akinnagbe (Chris Partlow) plays a pimp called Larry in the Deuce. Slim Charles plays a character called Leon who runs the local cafe.

Cheese (Method Man) plays another pimp called Rodney.
    Levy is a police man as is D'angelo Barksdale.

He was the character who was the most socially conscious in the whole show. Above any of the police or politicians. Wanted to improve things for all the workers and their families more than himself.

I think the reason Ziggy was so dysfunctional is because Frank spent so much time trying to be everything to everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Best show ever made, I'd even say one of the best pieces of media ever made (including literature all the way back to the Greeks). It just keeps tying up things from way back and making stuff that seemed a bit like filler turn out to be hugely important, and it encapsulates what it's about (the drug trade and later society as a mirror to that) and it just knows it's setting unlike almost anything else.

Give it 3-4 episodes though, I find the "f*ckitty f*ck f*ck f*ck, motherf*cking f*cker!" scene in the kitchen is about where most really get hooked (don't youtube it, it won't even make much sense in isolation).

if this trailer dont pump you up for the show then nothing will

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Never got the hype myself. Good show alright but that's about it.

Sopranos was on another level altogether imo, far better than the wire. Breaking Bad too, lots of others.

Each to their own but The Wire didnt really do a lot for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

What year do you come from, our planet is a mess you should return home asap?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Pelvis wrote:
    I love The Shield, but it is in no way similar to The Wire.

I remember years ago on a similar thread, someone posted that they thought the wire was better than the shield, but they preferred watching the Shield.

I kind of agree with that statement.

The shield lost a bit when they stopped the bits with Dutches cases imo.

I loved the inside jokes in both.

Like the vending machine that one cop owned and just sneaked into the station.

And in the wire the Professor using the lie detecting photocopier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Stoner wrote: »
    And in the wire the Professor using the lie detecting photocopier.

I read Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets and that was what they were actually doing.

Anyway there are some heartbreaking storylines and some excellent humor. The series treats it's characters with compassion but doesn't patronize them or gloss over their crimes. It's also a show with very diverse cast and you don't feel for one moment that a character was added as a box ticking exercise. They are there to tell fairly complex stories and not to fill the diversity quota.

I liked season 2 but 4 is the best for me. Main storyline in season 5 is not great and McNulty is insufferable but even season 5 has some good themes and wraps the series well. It's a series I enjoy more and more each time I watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sopranos was on another level altogether imo, far better than the wire. Breaking Bad too, lots of others.

I disagree The Sopranos was better but can understand. It's a difference in opinion in two closely matched shows.

But cannot see in any way how Breaking Bad could be considered better.

Why do you think it was?

In The Wire's favour I suggest;
    Way more central characters
    Way more interesting characters
    Way less pointless characters
    Way more character evolution
    Way more believable/consistent character evolution
    Way more story lines
    Much more reflective of society
    Much better knitting of characters and environment
    Much better episode pacing
    Unique focus of each season
    Infinitely better dialog (times infinity)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Omars comment to Leavy in the courtroom is one of the best lines on TV.

Amen to that. The breaking of the unwritten code as regards Sunday mornings was funny too. 'Ya'll try to hit the nigga when he takin' his wrinkled ass grandma to pray?'.

Poor Grandma's scrumpled hat.:D

spurious wrote: »
    Amen to that. The breaking of the unwritten code as regards Sunday mornings was funny too. 'Ya'll try to hit the nigga when he takin' his wrinkled ass grandma to pray?'.

Poor Grandma's scrumpled hat.:D

The ironic thing about the B and B alliance is that Avon who was a gangster had some morality on certain things and Stringer who wanted to legitimise had none. Everything was fair game to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I will see your crime pizza and raise you an interrogation faxed in from McDonalds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

All I'm holding are Royal Flush's

• Advertisement

Oh yeah? FIVE aces!!

(some nudity and a literally as good as every single word is NSFW :D)

That said, 50+ years from now kids will be studying both alongside Yeats, Heaney, Shakespeare, etc I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Aravo

"My word is still my word. In here, in Baltimore, in any place you can think of calling home, it'll be my word that finds you."
    Wee bey

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

if this trailer dont pump you up for the show then nothing will

Makes me want to re watch.
    2,1,4,3,5. Five almost tarnishes it's reputation. Someone mentioned homicide a year on the killing streets well worth a read.

Also high recommend the Corner Simon's 6 part mini series that predates the wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Look the part, be the part motherf***er.

PropJoe10 - 26th November 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Cutty: Game dun changed

Slim Charles: Game still the same, just got more fierce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Don't wanna spoil anything so I'll be vague but the confession that Cheese made was hilarious!
    Another few of my favourite scenes are,
    The one with johnny and the onion soup,
    Mc Nulty and the tide charts,
    Mc Nulty and the car crash,
    The Fcuk, fcuk, fcuk, fcuk scene,
    I could be here all day with it lol.
    For a show that was very serious, it had some real comedy gold moments!
    Its a show that is soo much better the 2nd time round, its frightening how many details and little snippets go over your head the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yes I agree about noticing things a lot better second time round. There's one scene in season 1 I think where they're in the changing room upstairs in the strip club and there's a sign on the wall that is supposed to say "Strictly....." but it's spelt strickly. Made me laugh and thought it was a great piece to make things seem kinda real

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

Started watching it a few weeks ago for the first time myself. Found the first half of season 1 hard to get 'hooked' on like other series but watched an episode here and there. Flew through season 2 thereafter (mostly this weekend), I'm on the last episode and loving it.

The muscle from New York (who just met Omar) reminds me a lot of Gustavo from breaking bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

One thing I've noticed on boards is the amount of usernames from The Wire.
    Stringer Bell is here, as is Bonny Colvin and Prop Joe, my favourite username of all time, not just on boards is......
    Snotboogie!
    There's a good few others but for the life of me I can only think of them now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

.red. wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed on boards is the amount of usernames from The Wire.
    Stringer Bell is here and my favourite username of all time, not just on boards is......
    Snotboogie!
    There's a good few others but for the life of me I can only think of 2 now!

I think Prop_Joe hangs around the GAA forums

Advertisement