Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wire-Is it any good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭trashcan

We're talking about Snoop here aren't we? Snoop's female.

No, I was talking about Cheese, not Snoop. In response to the remark about hated characters. I misunderstood your question marks. Yeah, Snoop is female, though I think a lot of people weren't sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Sorry about the confusion there,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

trashcan wrote: »
    No, I was talking about Cheese, not Snoop. In response to the remark about hated characters. I misunderstood your question marks. Yeah, Snoop is female, though I think a lot of people weren't sure.
    Spoiler. :pac:

Someone posted about the Homicide: Life on the Streets book earlier- my wife got it for me as a Xmas present after the first time I watched The Wire, knowing how much I had loved the show. I actually stopped reading it about 1/3 way through, as it was reflecting the contents of the show too much, without the drama. Huge book!
    The Corner was on before 'series link' existed (or at least i didn't have it), and I never got to see it. I must track that down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

trashcan wrote: »
    Cheese. Almost cheered out loud at his fate.

Oh yeah forgot about him. He got what was coming to him. Poor Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭trashcan

Chris was the one character i actively dreamed of inflicting a horribly unspeakable death. Fck, i hated that guy. Snoop at least took her end like a 'man'.

Just could never warm to either Daniels or Pearlman either. Bit too careerist or something.

Didn't mind Chris ( for a murderous cold blooded killer that is !!). Maury Levy the slimy lawyer was another dislikeable git. Even the despicable characters are great though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

its ok, gets boring around series 3 and comes back at the end id rate it 6 out of 10 .
    sopranos was far better .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Stringer's product meeting is great moment too. There really were some great stories there. The irony of Marlo and Stringer storylines is brilliant.

https://youtu.be/BPS9YKGaKQE

Edit: I never liked Snoop but the scene when she is buying nail gun is a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

What I love most about The Wire is that whether characters were cops, drug dealers, drug addicts, politicians... I liked almost all of them. In some way, to some degree, they were all great. As reprehensible as some of their actions may be, you always understood their motives, even if you didn't agree with it.

Such an amazingly well-written show, with incredible characters and stories. One of the greatest shows of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,236 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Oh yeah forgot about him. He got what was coming to him. Poor Joe.

He was a great character. Not a saint but not on for any violence above what was necessary. Wasn't about the ego of owning corners like Avon - who was a plank.

As Joe said "Buy for a dollar, sell for two".

Also one of Joe's lines that always made me laugh was when the barksdale crew had weak heroine "everyone knows Avon's putting out piss and calling it the sh1t".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

.red. wrote: »
    The only character I ever struggled to understand was Snoop.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Best not misgender someone for fear of being attacked by the SJWs. :cool:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

The Wire is brilliant, I hated Bubs, was hoping he would OD in his first appearance.

All this is making me want to watch The Wire all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Fun Fact: Felicia Pearson played the role of Felicia “Snoop”Pearson.

The real Pearson also had a fairly crap upbringing, it’s well worth reading up on.

First time I discussed The Wire with my sister in law, she just said “hey yo whaddup Bird?!”

Great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Trouble with the last series was whole newspaper angle slightly bored me. Characters a bit wooden - chinstroking editor, corrupt reporter, ruthless proprietors etc. Lacked the shade of the best characters. McNultys and Lesters stunt was ok to a point but felt a bit too far fetched to be credible though someone probably tell me its based on true event!!

Thought that the first time that I watched it through.

Soon became my favourite season on subsequent watches. Think I have watched it through 5/6 times now (night shifts for years).

Incredibly good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

el diablo wrote: »
    All this is making me want to watch The Wire all over again.

Just started with the wife. 30 mins in and she is asleep.
    Gonna put it down to the wine and will give it a go again tmw night

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Seve OB wrote: »
    Just started with the wife. 30 mins in and she is asleep.
    Gonna put it down to the wine and will give it a go again tmw night

Might do you no harm watching the first few episodes first yourself anyway ;)

Best not misgender someone for fear of being attacked by the SJWs. :cool:

Fcuk off with that guff. No need to bring that kind of shyte into every thread.

Fcuk off with that guff. No need to bring that kind of shyte into every thread.

Every thread? You're confusing me with someone else kiddo.

Every thread? You're confusing me with someone else kiddo.

Some clown thinks it's original to bring it up in every thread. I'm lumping you have in with all the other clowns

• Advertisement

Some clown thinks it's original to bring it up in every thread. I'm lumping you have in with all the other clowns

No idea what you're trying to say here buttercup. Bring what up in every thread? Seems you're easily triggered by whatever it is. :o

No idea what you're trying to say here buttercup. Bring what up in every thread? Seems you're easily triggered by whatever it is. :o

The clowns who say “better not say x or the SJWs/snowflakes/PC brigade will be after you”. The irony of them being the only ones to bring it up, always seems to fly straight over those clowns’ heads.

Maybe you thought you were being original and ... you weren’t.

On topic, the nail gun scene was one of the great examples of why the show was so good. It had nothing to do with the overarching story, it was just a great interaction between characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I thought the thread title was trying to be funny! It is a fantastic show. Great characters, full of humour in the right places. Definitely one of my all time favourites. Watch the first couple of episodes and you'll be hooked. Season 2 is probably the weakest.

Season two was my favourite!

🙈🙉🙊

I didn't like it when I saw it first. It's almost like a different show as there are so many new characters. But after watching it again it's one of my favourites. Ziggy is such a loathsome character but you end up feeling so sorry for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think ziggy is tragic rather than loathesome. When he turns to Frank and says he was too busy dredging his canal to pay proper attention to him, it's one of saddest moments of series for me. Everything about him screams lack of father figure in his life.

I think ziggy is tragic rather than loathesome. When he turns to Frank and says he was too busy dredging his canal to pay proper attention to him, it's one of saddest moments of series for me. Everything about him screams lack of father figure in his life.

Yeah, tragic is a better description.

Some great touches throughout the show that they never actually explored, they just happened and that’s it. There was the one with Rawls in the bar (I don't want to spoil it by mentioning the context). There was also the scene in one of the later seasons with Jonny 50 buying drugs (or was he in rehab?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hartattaq

Top notch performance by Aiden Gillen also

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thought Freamon was a great character too, particularly in the early seasons. Love how he goes from a seemingly insignificant character at the start to being the eventual star performer of the unit.

Also forgot to say I love the scene at the hospital between Rawls and McNulty where the former shows him some mercy rather than sticking the knife in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The Duck in the bar... :eek: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Aravo

A great series, brilliant characters/actors/storyline.
    I'm very tempted now to get the book that was written on this.

Advertisement