Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coleman leaves Wales for Sunderland

• 17-11-2017 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭

Breaking on SSN now. Bit of a surprising move thought he'd wait for a Premier League job.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

That's a fair backwards step,why would anyone take the sunderland job,money???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You might say he's sold himself Short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Bad decision by him, but like to be proved wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Is it really a bad move? Sunderland are at rock bottom, surely it wouldn't take much improvement for him to be considered a success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sunderland will be nothing other than a one season stepping stone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Sunderland are a sinking ship, don’t know why anyone would leave the Wales job for that place.. would love to hear his reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That's him done.

Sunderland are a managers graveyard. Don't think God could make them good again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Odd decision i think, if he waited a month or two there would be a few openings in the premier league that he could have taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

If he was that good a manager, Wales would have at least made the play offs. He was bettered by Martin O'Neill who had an inferior squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

While his stock is high at the moment, I would imagine Coleman isn't getting as many offers as people seem to think he may get.

Apart from a 6 month spell in Greece in 2011, the last club job he had was in 2010 when he was sacked after finishing 19th in the Championship with Coventry City, which was their lowest league finish in 45 years. He had a terrible start as Wales manager, an excellent middle, and ultimately a poor end. Overall, it wasn't the earth shattering tenure it's made out to be.

It's a gigantic risk on Coleman's part and to be honest, I just cannot see how any manager can be successful here under the current structure. He will have no money to spend in January either and the better players will be sold off as soon as an offer comes in. I don't speak as harshly of Ellis Short as some Sunderland fans as I do see what he put into it in the early days, but it is clear now that his interest has ended and we need fresh impetus at ownership level. Nothing can really change until that happens.

As for why, well managers always have that "why can't I be the one to make a success of this?" mentality and it's always a big reason for why they take jobs they really shouldn't. I'd imagine Chris sees this as a job with huge potential if he can get it right. Get things right on the field and the potential is endless. Expectations are also at an all-time low. One thing I don't want to hear from him is any complaint or whinging about lack of funds. It's clearly public knowledge now that any manager under this regime will be getting nothing to spend.

While I'd hardly say I'm bouncing off the walls with excitement either (it is so disheartening at the moment in any case), given the circumstances and our current position it is a bit of a coup for Sunderland. Also, he's not Ally McCoist (a drinking pal of CEO Martin Bain who Bain tried to get Short to appoint early in the process) so that's certainly a plus too as I really feared it would be him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

LiamoSail wrote: »
    If he was that good a manager, Wales would have at least made the play offs. He was bettered by Martin O'Neill who had an inferior squad.

Ah, didn't take long for the bitterness to come out of the woodwork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

scudzilla wrote: »

Why would an Irish fan be bitter towards Wales? They were a gift of a seed to get in the qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Why did he not stay on? Serious question. That is the most relevant job he’ll ever have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

scudzilla wrote: »

Is he wrong?

Didn't think so.

Advertisement