Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning refused for new cinema in Donegal Town

Options
  • 17-11-2017 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Plans for a cinema in Donegal Town have been rejected by the council for what they say will be increased traffic volume, a lot of people are not happy with the decision.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

schizo1014 wrote: »
    Plans for a cinema in Donegal Town have been rejected by the council for what they say will be increased traffic volume, a lot of people are not happy with the decision.

sounds ridiculous wasnt it supposed to be up behind lidl, cant see an issue with it there.

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/home/282075/donegal-cinema-complex-plan-refused-planning-permission.html

not sure where in town it could go !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

sounds ridiculous wasnt it supposed to be up behind lidl, cant see an issue with it there.

Someone told me it was supposed to be close to the Mill Park and there is shopping complex planned for the same area

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/home/282075/donegal-cinema-complex-plan-refused-planning-permission.html

not sure where in town it could go !

Yeah beside Lidl, there are no other sites in town I can think of that it could go. The site out by McIntyres petrol station is for something different all together. Only reason I can think it was refused is because someone got a nice big brown envelope to refuse it.

Maldesu wrote: »
    Someone told me it was supposed to be close to the Mill Park and there is shopping complex planned for the same area

thats started, but i think it was for something like a hardware store (would have to go back and look at the planning)
    the original planning for revlin was supposed to have a cinema as was kellys next to the credit union

seems like you put a cinema in and hope that its a sort of public amenity and it sways the planners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

What shops are meant to be going in opposite The Mill Park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

But yet they built the new Credit Union and Aldl, with access through an already congested Pauls Carpark.

There was once plans or atleast talk of Tescos/Dunnes going in somewhere near there.

think on the orignal planning it said something like dry bulky goods which i think is usually a hardware type store

edit
    CONSTRUCTION OF A FIVE-STOREY BUILDING TO PROVIDE FOR BULKY GOODS RETAIL SALES IN 4 SEPARATE UNITS & RESTAURANT AT GROUND LEVEL AND OFFICE ACCOMMODATION AT FIRST, SECOND, THIRD AND FOURTH FLOOR LEVELS
    Planning Application: 1751075
    10/07/2017

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Guys, I've moved the posts above to this dedicated thread where the issue of the cinema (or no cinema) is worthy of a debate in its own right.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Maldesu wrote: »
    Clarcarricknagun is out beside Lidl, so it must be there.

I don't really know how it would be “injurious to the visual quality of the approach road to Donegal town” either. That site was a mess for years, so a new building would surely look better?

Anyway, the council building across the road isn't exactly of "visual quality" at the moment...
    Also, if there was to be so much traffic, surely there is better, and not having more traffic congest the town centre?

It's damn annoying, as I think it'd have been great to have.

• Advertisement

Is the Supermacs and petrol station still going ahead across the road from Lidl? Maybe this is why they think there may be a lot more traffic in the area. I see a petition has reached over 2000 signatures already to save cinema plans

“injurious to the visual quality of the approach road to Donegal town”

and this at mcintyres isnt ?

433817.PNG

i dont know what theyve got against the town

On the cinema planning application did I read the planners report correctly which stated (I think) that Lidl had an application in to demolish the existing store and construct a larger one?

muffler wrote: »
    On the cinema planning application did I read the planners report correctly which stated (I think) that Lidl had an application in to demolish the existing store and construct a larger one?

yep thats right, thought that one was passed already (could be wrong)

Yes, I heard from a few of Lidl staff they were to construct a two story building with a new Lidl Cafe.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, I heard from a few of Lidl staff they were to construct a two story building with a new Lidl Cafe.
    I had heard from a few people alright that Lidl was being demolished and rebuilt. Seemed quite drastic, I thought, especially after enlarging it a bit a few years ago to accomodate the bakery, etc.

I didn't know it was going to to be a 2-storey, nor that there would be a cafe.

For the duration of construction, I assume there'll be no Lidl if it's being demolished, which I'm sure Aldi will be happy with.

Just had a quick look and its going to be a single storey building with no mention of a cafe. The basic application is for the following

"CONSTRUCTION OF A NEW DISCOUNT FOODSTORE WITH ANCILLARY OFF-LICENCE SALES. THE PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT COMPRISES: (1) THE DEMOLITION OF EXISTING SINGLE STOREY LICENSED DISCOUNT FOODSTORE WITH ANCILLARY OFF-LICENCE SALES MEASURING 1,720 SQM GROSS FLOOR SPACE WITH A NET RETAIL SALES AREA OF 1,274 SQM; (2) THE CONSTRUCTION OF A SINGLE STOREY MONO-PITCH LICENSED DISCOUNT FOODSTORE WITH ANCILLARY OFF-LICENCE SALES MEASURING 2,438 SQM GROSS FLOOR SPACE WITH A NET RETAIL SALES AREA OF 1,667 SQM"

Viewable here

Further information has been requested by the Council so there wont be a decision now until January at the earliest.

Heard on the local news that there's a public meeting in the Abbey hotel tonight concerning the planning refusal for the cinema.

One thing that struck me as being odd was the time frame in which the application was dealt with. 7 weeks after applying it was refused which is strange given the magnitude of the proposal. It can take 4 - 6 months at times to get a decision for a single dwelling house so someone was determined that the cinema application be refused despite requests from statutory bodies that additional information should be sought.

Heard on the local news that there's a public meeting in the Abbey hotel tonight concerning the planning refusal for the cinema.

One thing that struck me as being odd was the time frame in which the application was dealt with. 7 weeks after applying it was refused which is strange given the magnitude of the proposal. It can take 4 - 6 months at times to get a decision for a single dwelling house so someone was determined that the cinema application be refused despite requests from statutory bodies that additional information should be sought.

Someone really does not want that to go ahead by the sounds of things, also seen a facebook petition this morning to save the Cinema as well. Something fishy going on?

:confused:

In relation to the Credit Union, seen another application for it this morning when browsing the planning website above.

Advertisement