Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving other cars extension.

Options
  • 17-11-2017 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭

I have a Driving other cars extension on my Insurance. I'm soon to buy a new car, switch insurance, and pass on my current Car to my Brother. He however doesn't drive, yet.

If he owns the car, but has no insurance of his own at the moment, am I legally insured if I have his permission to drive it?

I've looked at the policy document and see no explicit mention of the cars owner having insurance, only that I have his permission, in order to have my insurance apply.

Nate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Aviva currently impose the condition that the car you borrow has a policy of it's own so I assume you are not with them. Some companies also exclude cars owned by partners or family members so check that that condition does not apply and if it does not, you will be covered.

But...... one condition that may catch you out is that a lot of policies state that for 'driving other cars' cover, you are only an 'occasional' driver of the car and given the situation that you describe, your brother cannot drive the car since he has no policy so your insurance company may take the view that the arrangement is a sham designed to allow you to drive two cars on one policy which may lead to a sticky situation if there is a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

If you're with liberty then yes you can drive it. As said above Aviva now want the car to have an insurance policy, I can't comment on the other companies as I've never bothered looking since I'm u25 and the rest only offer driving of other cars extension if you're over 25.

In short it all depends on your insurer but as you say if you cant find any restrictions on your policy booklet you should be sound. Maybe ring to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Thanks gents - I'll have to ring them so, no major problem, it seems it it isn't cut and dried.

Edit:- underwriter is Kennco

Nate

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Thanks gents - I'll have to ring them so, no major problem, it seems it it isn't cut and dried.

Edit:- underwriter is Kennco

Nate

Get the answer in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Get the answer in writing.

The call will be recorded.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Esel wrote: »
    The call will be recorded.

Always handy to have some documentation outlining the extension though in case you ever have to present it at a garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

But remember.... every motor policy says the same thing - the policy, the schedule and the certificate together form the contract. Which means that nothing that anyone says over the phone counts for anything. And I doubt if they will give you anything in writing because if they did, that would supersede the policy document and no employee is authorised to do that.

Advertisement