Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter looking to upgrade from a Deauville.

Options
  • 17-11-2017 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

I commute about 12000 miles per year, into Dublin and around Leinster. I've had two Deauvilles, and can't really fault them, but a change is due and I feel like moving 'up'. What's good from an engine, shelter, etc. Not interested in being hunched over on a naked beast, not interested in weekend touring or hanging out with petrol heads. I'll buy a used one, possibly in UK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭ratracer

Roadtoad wrote: »
    I commute about 12000 miles per year, into Dublin and around Leinster. I've had two Deauvilles, and can't really fault them, but a change is due and I feel like moving 'up'. What's good from an engine, shelter, etc. Not interested in being hunched over on a naked beast, not interested in weekend touring or hanging out with petrol heads. I'll buy a used one, possibly in UK.

Have you a preference for a shaft drive over a chain and sprockets?
    If not, I’d recommend a VFR800 - bullet proof reliability, comfortable commuter and will go anywhere if you decide to tour!! (IMO !!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

BMW F800GT could be one to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

TBi wrote: »
    BMW F800GT could be one to look at.
    I’m 5’9 and drove one with a low seat, and found I still needed to be hunched in behind the screen the get decent protection, otherwise the wind was hitting me flat on the chest.
    Otherwise lovely bike to ride, but disappointed with the fairing and weather protection.
    I’ve got 60km commute on the motorway and ruled it out on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Sounds like a faired touring bike is what your after, Honda Pan European, BMW R1200RT, BMW K1300GT would be good options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Well a natural progression would be to an ST11 or 13. An FJ1300 would be a great alternative. Then you have the likes of a varadero/tenere/vstrom type, which have the added advantage of great view over traffic. All depends on budget though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,983 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Vstrom DL1000

R1200RT is a fantastic commuter if you want to go bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

colm_c wrote: »
    Sounds like a faired touring bike is what your after, Honda Pan European, BMW R1200RT, BMW K1300GT would be good options.

I'd echo colm on this one. I love my Deauville and have been trying a few other bikes to upgrade to, and each of these have been the most familiar, but also a great upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Thanks to all. Shaft drive would be nice but not essential. Abs is essential. I'm 6ft 3in, so the BMW 800 GT is out. I'm not sure about the big 1000+ cc ones, they usually don't weave like smaller bikes, or perhaps the owners are just more chilled. I'll test a Vfr800. No rush, this project could take a while.

My R1200RT weaved better than the Honda CBF600 I had at the time. It should be just as easy as the deauville. I really recommend trying one. There is a reason the GS is so popular. The RT is just a more... um.. civilized choice? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm just gonna leave this here:

433807.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well AGS have the same dilemma and it came down to the Yamaha Tracer or BMW F800GS - and they're going with the BeeEmm. The GT was ruled out for riding position and comfort reasons. Have a look at the. I just spent the day in Galway city traffic on my wife's one and it was a hoot.

Which means you should consider the Triumph 800 Explorer too.

We have 5 Deauvilles in Blood Bike West and this is an issue well be faced with too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

galwaytt wrote: »
    Well AGS have the same dilemma and it came down to the Yamaha Tracer or BMW F800GS - and they're going with the BeeEmm. The GT was ruled out for riding position and comfort reasons. Have a look at the. I just spent the day in Galway city traffic on my wife's one and it was a hoot.

We have 5 Deauvilles in Blood Bike West and this is an issue well be faced with too.

I thought they were trialing the NC750 as a replacement.
    https://www.facebook.com/GardaFleet/posts/1193385874046434:0

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

galwaytt wrote: »

I ended up on the Tiger 800 after test driving the 800GT, found it very comfortable, good compromise for motorway cruising and town filtering. Been commuting on it the past 3months now and think it’s great. Heated seat on the XRT is nice in this weather too!

The 800GS has a 21” front wheel which put me off a bit.

I drove the Tracer 700, quite a small bike and very firm, didn’t like it. The 900 is much better size and handling, but found it quite sharp on the throttle, even with the lower maps. It would still need a bigger screen for motorway.

There’s so much to be said for getting on these bikes and riding them to see what you like. Heading up to Boucher Road is great for getting multiple dealers in one place, and they seem more open to test rides up North too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm just gonna leave this here: <pic>

This is lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I thought they were trialing the NC750 as a replacement.
    https://www.facebook.com/GardaFleet/posts/1193385874046434:0

They may well have at some point, I don't know, but the final two in the running were the Yamaha and BMW, and they've decided on the BeeEmm. They even trialled Road Kings.....

To be fair, the ultimate decision may well have been ultimately decided as much by economics: issues of warranty, service contracts etc.

BMW and Harley are unique in that they are the only factories that offer factory-built and warrantied bikes. All others are standard production bikes modified externally by a 3rd Party - and usually the factory warranty is no longer valid. Unless that 3rd party warranty embraces not only the police modifications but also the base machine, it's not as good an offering.
    Of course, BMW also have a 'bank' so their pockets are deep when it comes to finance plans, service contracts etc.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement