Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hole in garden

Options
  • 17-11-2017 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Would anybody know what animal is burrowing in my garden . The hole has roughly between a 5 and 7 cm diameter and is out in the open . I m living in the city centre so I m thinking a rat . Any help appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

yogmeister wrote: »
    Would anybody know what animal is burrowing in my garden . The hole has roughly between a 5 and 7 cm diameter and is out in the open . I m living in the city centre so I m thinking a rat . Any help appreciated thanks

Photo would probably help

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yogmeister

km79 wrote: »
    Photo would probably help

The photos are nt great but might help . I just found a smaller hole now about a foot away from the larger one .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I can’t tell much from the photos, but yea, a hole tue size you describe near a house is indeed likely to be a rat hole.

It should be fairly obvious by fresh activity or not if it’s in use, if your not sure just cover it over and check again in a few days for fresh digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Yes, rat. They do make holes in open ground if no better cover available. Burn some chili powder in the hole, then fill it in and pour urine or used cat litter around the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

There should be runs off it if it's used by rats. I say rats, because there's usually more than one. These are well defined lines through the grass running from the burrow to where ever they are feeding. Bird tables are a big rat attractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Have a similar hole myself filled it in a few times but reopens again after a week or two.

Considering lobbing a load of storm pellets down there and filling it again or is that a no no?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

kilburn wrote: »
    Have a similar hole myself filled it in a few times but reopens again after a week or two.

Considering lobbing a load of storm pellets down there and filling it again or is that a no no?

My concern would be if you trapped rats down there in the process and they died you could be left with a terrible stench for weeks. We've a couple of cats that solved the problem for us, but only really a solution if you've the time and interest for animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Had some of those rat holes in my garden some were about 25ft apart. Since the cats from across the road starting coming into the garden the rats have disappeared

Advertisement