Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst debt collection story you have ever heard?

Options
  • 17-11-2017 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

I left New Zealand about 10 grand in debt. I left thinking that I would not be pursued for the debt because of the distance. Anyway, I was wrong. The debt was passed onto collectors in Ireland and the Uk and they never made contact with me since I had changed my number and email address. So instead, the debt collectors circled my house on a daily basis beeping the horn until I acknowledged the debt.
    I went to the police to complain but they didn't listen. It sounded normal to them. I didn't know debt collectors would do this but apparently it's common. They use to do the same while I was at work, they would pull up outside and start revving the car engine and beeping the horn. The same when I use to go the supermarket or go for a jog. It was an absolute nightmare. I hadn't a clue who they were at first, it was months before I realized. i ended applying for insolvency in the end. My neighbors and colleagues thought it was drug related.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

You could get in contact with MABS to see if they can offer any advice. https://www.mabs.ie/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Fake News wrote: »
    I left New Zealand about 10 grand in debt. I left thinking that I would not be pursued for the debt because of the distance. Anyway, I was wrong. The debt was passed onto collectors in Ireland and the Uk and they never made contact with me since I had changed my number and email address. So instead, the debt collectors circled my house on a daily basis beeping the horn until I acknowledged the debt.
    I went to the police to complain but they didn't listen. It sounded normal to them. I didn't know debt collectors would do this but apparently it's common. They use to do the same while I was at work, they would pull up outside and start revving the car engine and beeping the horn. The same when I use to go the supermarket or go for a jog. It was an absolute nightmare. I hadn't a clue who they were at first, it was months before I realized. i ended applying for insolvency in the end. My neighbors and colleagues thought it was drug related.

Is this a debt collection agency or scum bags?
    Who the hell is intimidating people by stalking them to their place of work and revving their cars ?

Surely had no legal basis to bring you to court here so used bully tactics ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Fake News

I was in contact with everyone. I'm guessing the debts were passed onto criminal gangs here. the funny thing was that the police didn't believe what I was telling them. I had to disconnect from my home router because the debt collectors were able to tell when I was at home using the internet NO JOKE!! The police didn't seem to bother in Ireland. In the UK they actually investigated it and did patrols around my house. The Guards seem to think this behavior is acceptable because someone owes debt. it's highly illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Appropriate user name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Would you not consider repaying your debt? Perhaps you could arrange a payment plan.

• Advertisement

I was in contact with everyone. I'm guessing the debts were passed onto criminal gangs here. the funny thing was that the police didn't believe what I was telling them. I had to disconnect from my home router because the debt collectors were able to tell when I was at home using the internet NO JOKE!! The police didn't seem to bother in Ireland. In the UK they actually investigated it and did patrols around my house. The Guards seem to think this behavior is acceptable because someone owes debt. it's highly illegal.

Ahhh here there surely more to this?
    What debt are we taking about ?
    Tracking your home router activity?

Not that I'm not believing you but I'm intrigued and confused at the same time :/:)

Well I've been granted insolvency in New Zealand which means the debts in NZ are no longer enforceable. The funny thing is is that those who bought the debts still think they can force me to pay even though I have no contract with them. Just last night when I was going home from the take away they drove passed my home and beeped the horn. They're absolute scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Fake News wrote:
    Well I've been granted insolvency in New Zealand which means the debts in NZ are no longer enforceable. The funny thing is is that those who bought the debts still think they can force me to pay even though I have no contract with them. Just last night when I was going home from the take away they drove passed my home and beeped the horn. They're absolute scum.

What type of debts are these originate in New Zealand but are enforceable in Ireland. Did you perhaps buy some pharmaceuticals?

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    What type of debts are these originate in New Zealand but are enforceable in Ireland. Did you perhaps buy some pharmaceuticals?

pharmaceuticals Hahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Meanwhile back at the ranch....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Seen this happen before. I was in Ibiza. These pills where making everyone paranoid.
    You sound exactly like them. Seen lads and girls do crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You're right. That is the worst debt collection story I've ever heard.

Scarcely believable, not even that imaginative, poor character development and no ending.

Fake News wrote:
    Im moving to Canada after Christmas. I have a degree in law and im considering jobs in enforcement. In Canada, there's a big drive on for recruiting immigration officers and coast guard workers. I think I would enjoy work as a immigration officer. The pay is pretty good too and they recruit foreigners. Im also considering the cost guard. Are there any enforcement jobs with the coast guard?

I think OP your going to have a slight problem getting a Visa for Canada let's not even speculate on a job in law enforcement. ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

[QUOTE=Fake News;105298905 I had to disconnect from my home router because the debt collectors were able to tell when I was at home using the internet NO JOKE!! [/QUOTE]

Ohh that crazy internet, up to its old tricks again! :rolleyes:

This is not possible. You are talking nonsense. Go home.

The debts were for different things such as a motorcycle, a couple of phones and a cash loan. They totaled around 9,000 euro.

GreeBo wrote: »
    [QUOTE=Fake News;105298905 I had to disconnect from my home router because the debt collectors were able to tell when I was at home using the internet NO JOKE!!

Ohh that crazy internet, up to its old tricks again! :rolleyes:

This is not possible. You are talking nonsense. Go home.[/quote]
    I'm serious. Apparently you can tell when your phone or laptop is active on your home router provided you have access.

Fake News wrote:
    The debts were for different things such as a motorcycle, a couple of phones and a cash loan. They totaled around 9,000 euro.

Sure they were. ; )

Fake News wrote:
    I don't understand this. If I am insolvent in Australia, and I move to Ireland, am I no longer insolvent and can my Australian creditors pursue me again?

Fake News wrote:
    I'm serious. Apparently you can tell when your phone or laptop is active on your home router provided you have access.[/quote]

So care to explain the top quote?

I wa
    Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Fake News wrote:
    I don't understand this. If I am insolvent in Australia, and I move to Ireland, am I no longer insolvent and can my Australian creditors pursue me again?

Fake News wrote:
    I'm serious. Apparently you can tell when your phone or laptop is active on your home router provided you have access.

So care to explain the top quote?[/quote]
    I was speaking hypothetically because as part of forum charter you can't seek personal advice.

Fake News wrote:
    So care to explain the top quote?
    I was speaking hypothetically because as part of forum charter you can't seek personal advice.[/quote]

You can't seek legal advice. I suggest you turn off the internet till you're less high, maybe till Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Beep Beep

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hespy

I have a feeling he's going to take a large dog to a volatile country for employment purposes and work on his handicap!

Hespy wrote:
    I have a feeling he's going to take a large dog to a volatile country for employment purposes and work on his handicap!

I have a feeling he just took something.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yeah, you can tell when you are own your router. Some lad in a van on the street can't. It's not CSI.
    if someone had access to your router they certainly don't need to be hiding in vans and beeping at you.
    They'd just empty your bank account!

Advertisement