Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Not sure if this has been posted yet but talk about you words coming back to haunt you!

https://www.buzz.ie/news/al-porter-we-need-a-modern-irish-sex-scandal-156912

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I have no problem. I had my arse grabbed. I dealt with it. I was not assaulted. End of story

actually, by the letter of the law, you were.

You just weren't offended by it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Allegedly so.

But, anyway....................

Anyway what? You said he did those things, I say they are at the moment allegations

Allow me to rephrase.

I have heard him on the radio and TV from time to time, I didn't find him funny, I don't listen anymore.

I was only joking! There is a panto gig hiring at the moment. I am testing how bad my jokes are so as to see if I am good enough for the role. So far, so good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I have no problem. I had my arse grabbed. I dealt with it. I was not assaulted. End of story

Good for you. And I'm sure you're moving on with your life and never think about it. But your inability to see your issue as harassment/sexual assault doesn't give you the power to judge and rebuff everyone else's experience who feel differently to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

So by your logic Al Porter has not assaulted anyone - they had their mickeys grabbed and dealt with it (apparently he stopped when told off). He's free to keep going, and it's everyone else's responsibility to keep dealing with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Ladies and Gentlemen let me introduce you to the Duke Lacrosse Case, if you ......

Never heard about this until you posted it.
    Just searched online and the woman who accused them was later convicted of killing a man in 2010. An evil, evil woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Never heard about this until you posted it.
    Just searched online and the woman who accused them was later convicted of killing a man in 2010. An evil, evil woman.

There is a great 30 for 30 ESPN documentary about it.

She is doing time for murder.

The DA, Michael Nifong, got disbarred.

The main police detective on the case committed suicide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Well, just so you know, if - heaven forbid - that does happen to you, you're insistence on "not sitting silently by" will greatly f*ck up your legal case. Greatly.

If I’m innocent I have nothing to worry about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

splinter65 wrote: »
    If I’m innocent I have nothing to worry about

Well now.... we've seen that one disproved many times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

NIMAN wrote: »
    Just went and checked.....never heard of any of them.

Do you think they’ve been made up by the paper or something, because you’ve never heard of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭donaghs

Ladies and Gentlemen let me introduce you to the Duke Lacrosse Case, if you don't know about it already.

Duke is a prestigious university in the US with a predominantly white and rich student makup.

Back in 2006 there was a house party attended by members of the lacrosse team.

A pair of black strippers were hired for the party.

After the party one of the strippers alleged that she was gang raped.

There was outrage, the lacrosse program was cancelled, the airwaves were full of accusations, privileged whites raping vulnerable blacks, everyone was on board, Jesse Jackson, the NYT etc, on campus demonstrations....

I don't listen to Porter, I don't find him funny, but I don't like this jump to the conclusion that he is guilty based on some newspaper article.

It’s not just one newspaper article, or one person.

I’m not saying throw him in jail based on journalism and rumours, but I can draw conclusions from stories from multiple sources that this appears to his modus operandi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

splinter65 wrote: »
    Do you think they’ve been made up by the paper or something, because you’ve never heard of them?

No, I am sure they exist ok.

Maybe one of them was fed up that his career as a comedian wasn't taking off, decided to get some free publicity by heading to social media and telling the world about that time Al Porter grabbed his dick.

Then 3 other failed comic's thought "I'll have a bit of that too, he touched my dick too".... and we are where we are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,281 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ladies and Gentlemen let me introduce you to the Duke Lacrosse Case, if you don't know about it already.

Duke is a prestigious university in the US with a predominantly white and rich student makup.

There was outrage, the lacrosse program was cancelled, the airwaves were full of accusations, privileged whites raping vulnerable blacks, everyone was on board, Jesse Jackson, the NYT etc, on campus demonstrations against them etc

All the lacrosse players gave DNA samples, newspaper editorials asked why were the innocent ones not coming forward and pointing the finger at the guilty ones.

Then the DANA samples came back clean, no lacrosse team DNA on the victims sample.
    So the state gave the victim a photo line up of all the players and asked her to identify the rapists (the line up did not have photos of people who were not there), so she identifed three.

So they were charged.

The state also sent the DNA to a private lab for a second look, this time it came back with a possible trace of one of the players from a bathroom bin.

But what the state never revealed was that there was DNA from 7 other males on the victim.

Eventually it all unraveled.
    The victims story was full of holes, the DNA was clean.

Charges were dropped, the media apologised to the players, the players sued the ass off every one.

Moral of the story, wait for the evidence before making a conclusion.

I don't listen to Porter, I don't find him funny, but I don't like this jump to the conclusion that he is guilty based on some newspaper article.

It was no Ballyraggert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

It is possible that the allegations are untrue or inaccurate, its happened before.
    Louis Walsh and Cliff Richard has accusations leveled at them which proved to be untrue, but were found "guilty as accused" by the baying media looking for a good story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note:
    Just a quick reminder, these allegations are just that, allegations, atm.

They may be proven at a later date or dismissed as false but it isn't within our power to decide which they are.

You only have to look at the allegations about Louis Walsh a few years ago which were totally false and damaging to his reputation and career.

So lets stick with ALLEGATIONS atm, shall we?

Buford.

There was outrage, the lacrosse program was cancelled, the airwaves were full of accusations, privileged whites raping vulnerable blacks, everyone was on board, Jesse Jackson, the NYT etc, on campus demonstrations against them etc

All the lacrosse players gave DNA samples, newspaper editorials asked why were the innocent ones not coming forward and pointing the finger at the guilty ones.

Then the DANA samples came back clean, no lacrosse team DNA on the victims sample.
    So the state gave the victim a photo line up of all the players and asked her to identify the rapists (the line up did not have photos of people who were not there), so she identifed three.

So they were charged.

The state also sent the DNA to a private lab for a second look, this time it came back with a possible trace of one of the players from a bathroom bin.

But what the state never revealed was that there was DNA from 7 other males on the victim.

Eventually it all unraveled.
    The victims story was full of holes, the DNA was clean.

Charges were dropped, the media apologised to the players, the players sued the ass off every one.

Moral of the story, wait for the evidence before making a conclusion.

Mod note: I'm reposting my earlier comment and also the above post to highlight the consequences of making false allegations against a person.

It's not that difficult to include the word 'allegation' to your posts, folks, and protect yourself from any consequences down the line if we miss out on a post.

Please don't make me have to get to the stage of having to issue cards for something this simple.

Thanks in advance,

Buford T. Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Maybe one of them was fed up that his career as a comedian wasn't taking off, decided to get some free publicity by heading to social media and telling the world about that time Al Porter grabbed his dick.

Then 3 other failed comic's thought "I'll have a bit of that too, he touched my dick too".... and we are where we are?

And what of the student who was a psychatric patient in st.pats. tell me what's he trying gain from it? Free treatment next time he needs their services?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

smurgen wrote: »
    And what of the student who was a psychatric patient in st.pats. tell me what's he trying gain from it? Free treatment next time he needs their services?

As far as I'm aware St.Pats have stated that they are not aware of any such incident.

We don't know much about that case, even St Pats said they heard nothing until the newspaper printed it.

Would such a patient be reliable? Maybe they are like the people who accused Louis Walsh or Cliff Richard. Just because you read about a report doesn't mean it has definitely happened, does it? Or are you 100% convinced these 5 reports are 100% accurate and true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Statement just released folks, he has resigned from Today FM with immediate effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 aisleseat

He's just released a statement on twitter and resigned from TodayFM with immediate effect

Don't do Twitter, can someone post it?

Edit, thanks

Decades in the entertainment industry?
    He's 24 ffs.

Maybe it was a cut & paste apology and he just changed a few things.

We don't know much about that case, even St Pats said they heard nothing until the newspaper printed it.

Would such a patient be reliable? Maybe they are like the people who accused Louis Walsh or Cliff Richard. Just because you read about a report doesn't mean it has definitely happened, does it? Or are you 100% convinced these 5 reports are 100% accurate and true?

5 different people with similar stories recalling events giving context,dialogue and detailing that girfriends etc were present.do you think their friends/girl friends etc would be impressed by them making false sexual assault aligations?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Light hearted and good natured circumstances?

Is he on another planet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

In keeping with my flamboyant

Sounds like he is trying to excuse it to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

2 of them would be well known on the comedy circuit. Guess again.

5 different people with similar stories recalling events giving context,dialogue and detailing that girfriends etc were present.do you think their friends/girl friends etc would be impressed by them making false sexual assault aligations?

So you do believe them all, 100% then?

Wouldn't want you on my jury anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

He has resigned from Today FM

His apology is attrocious.He's taken aback by the scale and tone of vitriol ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

What was he doing in the entertainment industry spotlight at 4 years of age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

His apology is attrocious.He's taken aback by the scale and tone of vitriol ffs.

What did he expect..."ah come over here pet and feel my mickey, you've had a bad day and need a pick me up "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Was hoping this would be Louis Walsh.

Don't do Twitter, can someone post it?

Edit, thanks

2wp30uu.jpg

So you do believe them all, 100% then?

Wouldn't want you on my jury anyway.

No i'm just weighing up the details released and have come to the conclusion for myself that they are probably true. It's fine that you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

“While my conduct, which had been in keeping with my flamboyant and outrageous public persona may be regarded as offensive and unacceptable by many people, I at no time intended to upset anyone,”

Ah, so it was all a joke...

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Ah, so it was all a joke...

Yeah apparently the alleged victims just didn't get it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

So it's other people's fault for not appreciating his personality. No real remorse at all. He really is up his own arse

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

It seems his career has ended because he's a one trick pony who is realising that people don't find it/him funny.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Owryan wrote: »
    So it's other people's fault for not appreciating his personality. No real remorse at all. He really is up his own arse

I think he's done himself more harm than good with that statement

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

He was just trying to live up to his persona, the poor chap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

His apology is making things worse imo.

Basically its not my fault its others for not getting my "persona".

Dig up you idiot,who let him release that needs to be sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Awful statement from porter. Talk about knowing when to stop digging ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"Decades in the entertainment industry"?

I genuinely never heard of him until last year.

Stheno wrote: »
    I think he's done himself more harm than good with that statement

Yeah he did have a hand in his own downfall!

• Advertisement

Christ, almighty. That is a terribly put together statement??

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Penn wrote: »
    "Decades in the entertainment industry"?

He was in a few school plays back in the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

What an awful statement. Having a flamboyant, outrageous public personality does not excuse (alleged) sexual assault. Really shows what he thinks of himself.

Hopefully that'll be the last we see of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Christ, almighty. That is a terribly put together statement??

Must have got one of the panto writers in on a nixer.

Grayditch wrote: »
    What was he doing in the entertainment industry spotlight at 4 years of age?

Being flamboyant and outrageous apparently....................

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement