Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Stheno wrote: »
    That's kinda my point he'll find it hard to find any kind of employment

He will be totally fine - outside of Ireland and over time this will be a non-isue. Canada. Australia. He will go into hiding for a few years, change his act/persona/whatever and most likely move out of Ireland.

By the time he's working again (be it in public eye or not) there will be many more scandals to have hit the headlines and his will have been forgotten about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Oh, ffs.

There are plenty of jobs out there that don't involve sticking your hands down peoples pants to maintain your "flamboyant and outrageous" persona.

"awful bleak future"

Give me a break.
    Must be a great view from that height. Did you miss that part where I said his actions were unforgivable, if true?

Loads of people on this thread have never made a single mistake in their lives, apparently. Can we not wait until he is actually found guilty before we construct the gallows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Do people concern themselves with how other scumbags fair in their personal lives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Will he change his stage name from Al Porter to Willie Stroker?

Dole Porter

I didn't like him or his act, but that's an awful bleak future to be facing into. I feel sorry for the lad. Not condoning his actions, they are unforgivable, if true.

The trouble is: it doesn't matter much whether they're true or not at this stage. The damage is done.

I don't agree to be honest. What he did was ****ty yes, and I'm not saying all should be forgotten, but we live in a world of 24hr media saturation. This seems like a big deal now (not saying it isn't, talking in terms of attention-worthy scandal) but this will die down and he will live a totally normal life again. Not the life he has now, but a life. Somewhere else. Doing something else. People won't remember this in a few years. Not that it's a positive or anything, but there are so many allegations coming out of the woodwork these days I'm losing track of who is and isn't at it myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    He will be totally fine - outside of Ireland and over time this will be a non-isue. Canada. Australia. He will go into hiding for a few years, change his act/persona/whatever and most likely move out of Ireland.

By the time he's working again (be it in public eye or not) there will be many more scandals to have hit the headlines and his will have been forgotten about.

They have the internet in Canada and Australia now you know. You can't just rock up, ask to be on telly and say you decided on a new challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Sure he wouldn't have had long left with his act anyway, surely. He's not remotely innovative. His shtick was done to death in the 90's and he seemed to have no intention of adapting or progressing.

I wouldn't be feeling too sorry for him. He had well peaked. You only come back from this if you're good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I was touched by Al Porters apology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

He allegedly sexually assaulted five men

Wow, OK. Crazy sh*t. I'm out so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Ken Tucky wrote:
    OK so I've gone back through a lot of the thread but I still haven't a notion of what AP has done!! Excuse my ignorance(or not really giving a f**K) but what the hell happened. Was it something he said or did.....allegedly of course

It's literally linked in the first post on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭seanin4711

100% grayditch

They have the internet in Canada and Australia now you know. You can't just rock up, ask to be on telly and say you decided on a new challenge.

Do they?? Didn't know!
    No, but seriously, I know that. I posted two posts so don't know if this was in the one you quoted, but, I don't mean that he is going to fly over tonight!

If he disappears for a few years, changes the name and chases a different career path, I don't know, say, bookstore owner as an example of one thing that popped right into my head just now.

My point is, people are saying 'He's ruined' 'that's his life over'. I'm saying, it's not. Al Porter the comedian and radio dj - that life is over yes. But to suggest his options are to either starve to death or go on the dole and hide out at his mammies are over-dramatic. He'll still be earning feck loads more than me for many years to come! (not bitter about his massive wage, honestly lol, I'm in the same boat as those who didn't even know he existed until a year ago!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

The Jimmy Seville pics and comparisons are way OTT though, we can't just lump every sex offender into the most severe category.

What he's alleged to have done is bad but I'm sure if we're honest we all know of an overly gropey drunk from our close or extended friends group that we kinda passed it off in the past with a rolleyes and not much more. They didn't face consequences of losing their jobs or be publicly shamed on every social media platform.
    That of course is expected in the industry he's in but a little perspective is needed and overly sticking the knife in a guy at his lowest point is unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Rekop dog wrote: »
    The Jimmy Seville pics and comparisons are way OTT though, we can't just lump every sex offender into the most severe category.

What he's alleged to have done is bad but I'm sure if we're honest we all know of an overly gropey drunk from our close or extended friends group that we kinda passed it off in the past with a rolleyes and not much more. They didn't face consequences of losing their jobs or be publicly shamed on every social media platform.
    That of course is expected in the industry he's in but a little perspective is needed and overly sticking the knife in a guy at his lowest point is unnecessary.

If he tried it on with a patient in a psychiatric hospital , while supposedly helping people in the hospital, he is not far removed from Saville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Mining industry
    Coal Porter

We found out he's at least good at digging a hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,976 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Brego888 wrote: »
    Well well well

https://twitter.com/roakleyIRL/status/931647550838460416

National broadsheet reporting it now so surely we are allowed comment.

Shame the Sunday Times isn't so on the ball. The Culture section has Porter's Today FM show as 'pick of the day' for Tuesday.:eek:

If he tried it on with a patient in a psychiatric hospital , while supposedly helping people in the hospital, he is not far removed from Saville.

Well knowing what Saville did and from hearing the account of what it's alleged Al Porter did I'd argue it's very far removed. Molestation of youths and groping an adult outside his trousers are world's apart. One would probably get a life sentence, the other would probably avoid a fine.

I'm not making light of the abuse of someone vulnerable but again perspective is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Do they?? Didn't know!
    No, but seriously, I know that. I posted two posts so don't know if this was in the one you quoted, but, I don't mean that he is going to fly over tonight!

If he disappears for a few years, changes the name and chases a different career path, I don't know, say, bookstore owner as an example of one thing that popped right into my head just now.

My point is, people are saying 'He's ruined' 'that's his life over'. I'm saying, it's not. Al Porter the comedian and radio dj - that life is over yes. But to suggest his options are to either starve to death or go on the dole and hide out at his mammies are over-dramatic. He'll still be earning feck loads more than me for many years to come! (not bitter about his massive wage, honestly lol, I'm in the same boat as those who didn't even know he existed until a year ago!)
    His chosen career is over .Obviously he may get other work but if be is convicted of anything its going to be very hard for him to head to Canada or Oz no matter what he decides to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wow, I can't believe his lawyers had a few days and that was what they came up with. All they're short of saying is "the real victim here is Al". Terrible stuff, he needs to sack his pr/legal people.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Do they?? Didn't know!

What do you think he'll be earning feck loads of money as?

My point was that he's at a very early stage of his adult life for this to have happened. Most people who resign/ leave jobs have other options and are not publicly vilified in the press and social media over alleged behaviour. Suggesting that he disappears for a few years and changes his name is fairly extreme action for him to have to take and would certainly be life changing in one's twenties.

If there is one thing I am uncomfortable with this and other similar events it's the "trial by social mefia" that appears to have supplanted our justice system. Given that the media have named him publucly in this country where legal action is threatened for less, there may well be substance to the allegations, but the way it has been handled is devoid of due process

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    Wow, I can't believe his lawyers had a few days and that was what they came up with. All they're short of saying is "the real victim here is Al". Terrible stuff, he needs to sack his pr/legal people.

Yeah, they're the problem here alright

Also the username thanking various posts on this page is wildly out of line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

If there is one thing I am uncomfortable with this and other similar events it's the "trial by social mefia" that appears to have supplanted our justice system. Given that the media have named him publucly in this country where legal action is threatened for less, there may well be substance to the allegations, but the way it has been handled is devoid of due process

I feel the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If this goes to court and leads to a conviction he can chalk those 2 countries off places he would like to visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Well knowing what Saville did and from hearing the account of what it's alleged Al Porter did I'd argue it's very far removed. Molestation of youths and groping an adult outside his trousers are world's apart. One would probably get a life sentence, the other would probably avoid a fine.

I'm not making light of the abuse of someone vulnerable but again perspective is needed.

Porter is alleged to have groped genitalia, not “outside” someone’s trousers; inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

He'll be along to thank yours in a minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

That's the troll that keeps coming back, pity you can't report a thanks in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

He'll be along to thank yours in a minute!
    Oh no he won't. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Must be a great view from that height. Did you miss that part where I said his actions were unforgivable, if true?

Loads of people on this thread have never made a single mistake in their lives, apparently. Can we not wait until he is actually found guilty before we construct the gallows?

You said he had a "bleak future"

A bleak future shouldn't be attributed to someone in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www.thejournal.ie/al-porter-resignation-3705969-Nov2017/

He has resigned from Today FM with immediate effect.

What do you think he'll be earning feck loads of money as?

My point was that he's at a very early stage of his adult life for this to have happened. Most people who resign/ leave jobs have other options and are not publicly vilified in the press and social media over alleged behaviour. Suggesting that he disappears for a few years and changes his name is fairly extreme action for him to have to take and would certainly be life changing in one's twenties.

I said feck loads more than me. Won't be as much as he's used to, but I'm sure he'll still live.

It is fairly extreme action to have to take when you are that young. But, if you are in a high profile position and you rely on the public opinion to earn your crust, then you behave in a way that is likely to damage that public opinion, you have to kind of expect that.

I agree with you - the role that social media plays in our justice system is disconcerting. But so is social media's role in everything about our society imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Sure he can always get a job in a sausage making factory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, they're the problem here alright

Never said they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

His statement that he released does him no favours. He attempts to bat away allegations of sexually inappropriate behaviour by passing it off as him being flamboyant and fun. I'm sure his 'victims' don't see it that way. As his statement reads I take it he is admitting he did act inappropriately. Time will tell.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It is fairly extreme action to have to take when you are that young. But, if you are in a high profile position and you rely on the public opinion to earn your crust, then you behave in a way that is likely to damage that public opinion, you have to kind of expect that.

You've kinda made my point there the behaviour is not proven it is alleged and Porter now finds himself unemployed and likely unemployable full stop for the near future in any capacity in ireland at least.

Unless this goes to court and he finds himself incarcerated, how do you suggest he will support himself? He was most likely self employed so not entitled to social welfare and at 24 it's unlikely he's saved a huge amount to help him disappear for a few years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

The Aer Lingus plane wan-ker from Cork - Niall Prendeville was able to resume his radio DJ career wasn't he.
    Not the same circumstances at all but still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PARlance wrote: »
    List of things I can't believe about Al Porter:

1. He has a radio show
    2. He has a TV show
    3. He is 24

Updated

1. He had a radio show
    2. He had a TV show
    3. He is 24
    4. He spent decades in the entertainment industry

Anyone whose been behind the scenes on the comedy scene knows this kind of carry on is rampant but a lot of people are acting like this is highly unlikely.

I don't think so you, my ohs daughter works in the theatre/gigs industry and was not at all surprised at this or the Colgan allegations.

My main gripe is the lack of due process etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Anyone whose been behind the scenes on the comedy scene knows this kind of carry on is rampant but a lot of people are acting like this is highly unlikely.

Funny, I would have ASSUMED that this kind of carry on , both gay and straight, was rampant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

PARlance wrote: »
    List of things I can't believe about Al Porter:

1. He has a radio show
    2. He has a TV show
    3. He is 24

Another thing....

People refer to him as a comedian... WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

You've kinda made my point there the behaviour is not proven it is alleged and Porter now finds himself unemployed and likely unemployable full stop for the near future in any capacity in ireland at least.

Why would he apologize for this "alleged" behavior if he hadn't done anything wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

:pac:
    433911.PNG

Unless this goes to court and he finds himself incarcerated, how do you suggest he will support himself? He was most likely self employed so not entitled to social welfare and at 24 it's unlikely he's saved a huge amount to help him disappear for a few years

Genuine question - how is he not entitled to social welfare because he was self-employed? There are people in the country who haven't been in any way employed and they are still 'entitled' to it.

I know they don't have pension rights, but are you sure they're not entitled to social welfare?

Also, like I said, I don't know him at all, so I've no idea whether he would have money put away, so fair enough I don't know where he will find the money to hole himself away for a few years, but what are you suggesting will happen to him if you don't think a job or social welfare are a possibility and if he doesn't go to jail (or even if he does, upon his release)?

Venom wrote: »
    Why would he apologize for this "alleged" behavior if he hadn't done anything wrong?

Did you read his apology? He basically said that he didn't realise people were hurt/offended and he never meant there to be hurt or offense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No self employed pay a slightly less prsi contribution hence there be no “entitlement”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I heard someone mention potentially mental issues as a root cause for his alleged actions.

Well that's literally the very same as Trump blaming mental illness when someone (usually a white American) commits a mass shooting over in America. It completely deflects from the issue at hand, and actually does a dis-service to the many people suffering with mental illness and facing up to it every day as best as they can.

As for the statement he released, I find it fairly pathetic. Basically trying to equate flamboyant behaviour with some sort of get-out-of-jail-free card when something inappropriate is alleged. I generally find overly camp gay men (the kind who regard their sexuality as the only meaningful aspect of their life) as a bit off-putting, but Porter's comic stylings really take the biscuit. At least that lecherous act will be off the airwaves now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Porter has admitted to it in his statement.

vicwatson wrote: »
    No self employed pay a slightly less prsi contribution hence there be no “entitlement”

But those who pay no PRSI contribution and never have are? Well, I'm more shocked at that than I am at the allegations.

Anyway - yes he said he apologised if his behaviour hurt people, but to have meant this, he also had to be admitting to the behaviour

Genuine question - how is he not entitled to social welfare because he was self-employed? There are people in the country who haven't been in any way employed and they are still 'entitled' to it.

I know they don't have pension rights, but are you sure they're not entitled to social welfare?

Also, like I said, I don't know him at all, so I've no idea whether he would have money put away, so fair enough I don't know where he will find the money to hole himself away for a few years, but what are you suggesting will happen to him if you don't think a job or social welfare are a possibility and if he doesn't go to jail (or even if he does, upon his release)?

S3lf employed people only pay 4% prsi.Normal paye workers pay that plus their employers pay an extra 10.5%. Self employed prsi mainly funds their state pension ( I'm self employed btw)

He could apply for job seekers allowance but that is means tested. He does not qualify for job seekers benefit if self employed.

As he also resigned there would potentially be a nine week cut off period before he could get jsa

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement