Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

The SJW-nazis claim another.

At least it's one of their own this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

f7d4e0276b68ab026935edb81d69cfceabaeb940c2ead2bf803bf159796fbc56.jpg

drink, feck, grope, balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Two prominent media personalities.

One said something that some people didn't like. Cue mass hysteria in the media

The other has likely committed criminal offences of a sexual nature. Suddenly the moral outrage brigade have lost their voices.

That is what we are talking about.

Gotta love people falling over themselves to claim some sort of leftie liberal media conspiracy without actually understanding the media cycle.

Started breaking proper Friday evening, between then and now the usual talking heads have been off air and there's been no daily columns or opinion pieces published.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Today FM may have taken the show listing down but they haven't completed the de-Al-ing yet :pac:

T77urYu.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

That's the lamest most pathetic excuse for an excuse I've read in a long time.
    If he truly thinks that people loves others to just shove their hand down their pants or whatever without as much as a by your leave then he needs his head examined.
    And 'decades in the industry is really stretching things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

It seems to me here on this island if you are white you are fooked unless you are gay or a traveller

So a gay traveller has hit the jackpot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That's the lamest most pathetic excuse for an excuse I've read in a long time.
    If he truly thinks that people loves others to just shove their hand down their pants or whatever without as much as a by your leave then he needs his head examined.
    And 'decades in the industry is really stretching things.

He obviously doesn't have anyone doing PR for him, can't see anybody signing off on publishing that excuse. Whatever I thought of him before, I think he's 10 times the bigger twat after trying to play the flamboyant gay card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

This has been a great month for homophobes.

Fellas why did you sexually abuse those men.

Kevin Spacey 'I was drunk and by the way I'm gay'.

Al Porter 'It's because I'm flamboyant'.

Please shut up and feck off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,205 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Anyone who has any sympathy for him after that apology needs their head examined.

Shoving his hands down someone's pants and grabbing their dick was just in keeping with his "flamboyant and outrageous public persona", in what he had regarded as "light hearted and good natured circumstances". Fúck off you complete twat.

Also, there are quite a few gay men working in the Irish entertainment / showbiz industry these days and we don't seem to be hearing anything about them, so it definitely sounds he was way out of order with his behaviour.

I think I am going to identify as a "flamboyant and outrageous" persona, henceforth ! It may just get me out of a few holes (excuse the pun....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

So a gay traveller has hit the jackpot.

A non white, non Irish, disabled transgender female traveller :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Call me old-fashioned... or I suppose at this stage it would be a monstrous, homophobic, sexist, pig, chauvanistic, literally hitler, narrow-minded, sex assault-sympathizing, racist.... but shouldn't a person who has a complaint make one at or around the time of the incident and make it at the place of work and/or at a police station? If you don't make a complaint close to the time, then you shouldn't be able to come out years later and say you were bothered by it. Then when one says it before the person has a chance to correct their behaviour it's like this horde of people who have gripes with them all come out saying stuff, it strikes me as very odd.

Coming from someone who doesn't like Al Porter at all - it's not that I have any reason to dislike him, just he's not to my taste.

.. but shouldn't a person who has a complaint make one at or around the time of the incident and make it at the place of work and/or at a police station? If you don't make a complaint close to the time, then you shouldn't be able to come out years later and say you were bothered by it. T.

Honestly?

Is this really your mindset when it comes to sexual assault crimes ???????????

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Call me old-fashioned... or I suppose at this stage it would be a monstrous, homophobic, sexist, pig, chauvanistic, literally hitler, narrow-minded, sex assault-sympathizing, racist.... but shouldn't a person who has a complaint make one at or around the time of the incident and make it at the place of work and/or at a police station? If you don't make a complaint close to the time, then you shouldn't be able to come out years later and say you were bothered by it. Then when one says it before the person has a chance to correct their behaviour it's like this horde of people who have gripes with them all come out saying stuff, it strikes me as very odd.

Coming from someone who doesn't like Al Porter at all - it's not that I have any reason to dislike him, just he's not to my taste.

The victim of any assault should be able to come forward whenever it is they are comfortable. Such is the way our world works, the majority of them feel embarrassed, shamed or fear nothing will be done all too often.

This was not an apology either. It was an admittance of the behaviour, but not an apology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Just hearing reports that an rte employee has been arrested in Leeds for soliciting underage sex.
    The Al Porter scandal is fairly small fry compared to this if true. Expect inm to go to town on the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just hearing reports that an rte employee has been arrested in Leeds for soliciting underage sex.
    The Al Porter scandal is fairly small fry compared to this if true.

And? Treat each case on its own merits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The Al Porter scandal is fairly small fry compared to this if true. Expect img to go to town on the story.

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Link?

Heard it on rte news.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Tommy Ferguson

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Link?

You have some hard on for links don’t you Father?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Is this the same Al Porter from Yoker?

And? Treat each case on its own merits.

I think what the poster means is that this story will be much much bigger than the Porter story.

Substitute the word scandal for story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm guessing it'll be some unknown rte back office employee.

But jez, it's going to hit the fan if it's a well known person

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Weepsie wrote: »
    The victim of any assault should be able to come forward whenever it is they are comfortable.

Or indeed whenever their assaulter becomes famous.

• Advertisement

fatknacker wrote: »

Is yoker a dj grinder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

NIMAN wrote: »

He's been named in the Mirror and elsewhere as <SNIP> a horse racing producer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

fatknacker wrote: »

Aye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

maudgonner wrote: »
    He's been named in the Mirror and elsewhere as <SNIP>, a horse racing producer.

Ok, back to Al Porter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Have I read the link right - he was contacted by a group of people (presumably online) claiming to be an underage girl. He Then flew to Leeds to meet this gir? Was that the reason for the trip? And the group then contacted the police to have him arrested?

• Advertisement

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Have I read the link right - he was contacted by a group of people (presumably online) claiming to be an underage girl. He Then flew to Leeds to meet this gir? Was that the reason for the trip? And the group then contacted the police to have him arrested?

Al is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Have I read the link right - he was contacted by a group of people (presumably online) claiming to be an underage girl. He proceeded to solicite sex and they then reported him?

might have been those Silent Justice chaps/ladies
    they set up fake online profiles or something, and wait for a paedo to come sniffing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

NIMAN wrote: »

If it had been someone famous it would be all over the place by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The Al Porter scandal is fairly small fry compared to this if true. Expect inm to go to town on the story.

Do you realise that not all RTE employees are presenters (most of which are self employed contractors not employees)?

It's almost like people are baying for blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

might have been those Silent Justice chaps/ladies
    they set up fake online profiles or something, and wait for a paedo to come sniffing

I realise this comes across as very pro-predator, but ... does this not fall into the category of entrapment?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I realise this comes across as very pro-predator, but ... does this not fall into the category of entrapment?

Not in the UK it seems there have been several successful prosecutions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,040 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If the adult instigates the sexual talk / contact then it's not , heard one of these groups being interviewed recently

It does in my book. If the so called victim doesn't even exist and the perv has been talking to a bunch of middle aged men, I'm not entirely sure what crime has been committed here (besides, what is to stop the entrapped man saying he knew full well he was talking to a group of vigilantes and came along to confront them?).

If the adult instigates the sexual talk / contact then it's not , heard one of these groups being interviewed recently

There doesn't seem to have been a single such prosecution in Ireland and I have a feeling such 'stings' may be illegal in many European countries.

Strazdas wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to have been a single such prosecution in Ireland and I have a feeling such 'stings' may be illegal in many European countries.

That's probably why this particular sting took place in the uk

• Advertisement

Yeah, it strikes me as a very dodgy area legally.

I could have a conversation with you on Facebook and say I have €100 worth of drugs for sale and if you agree to meet me, I'll sell you them. Given that I'm not a drug dealer and the drugs don't even exist, it's very hard to see how this could stand up in a court of law if I tried to get you prosecuted or even arrested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

That's true. It is supposed to be in the Times tomorrow. I wonder who it is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Was wondering how he got caught in Leeds until a quick glance of his Facebook page shows that he's a Leeds United fan. They were playing today at home so he had reason to be over there.

There's already a video of his arrest and entrapment on boards, have a look.

Fair play to them.

Deserves what he gets if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Neil Issagum

Don’t know if we’re allowed name him here? Probably not but I think someone else already did

He has 2 Facebook pages, one with his real name with his actual friends list, and another one with a fake name but his real picture, if you look at the friends list it’s literally every friend is a young teen girl

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yeah, it strikes me as a very dodgy area legally.

I could have a conversation with you on Facebook and say I have €100 worth of drugs for sale and if you agree to meet me, I'll sell you them. Given that I'm not a drug dealer and the drugs don't even exist, it's very hard to see how this could stand up in a court of law if I tried to get you prosecuted or even arrested.

It may be covered by the crime of grooming or attempting to groom an underage child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

So he has apologised now, so seemingly everything is alright. Just wondering why the media has so gleeful using flattering photographs considering what he is admitting. (e.g. the photos included in his pre-release). Surely the papers have artistic licence to use any photo that has been published in his social media, could they not a have found an unflattering photo.

The video of him getting busted is on Facebook

• Advertisement

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    The video of him getting busted is on Facebook

The video of him getting busted is on Boards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement