Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

NIMAN wrote: »
    The video of him getting busted is on Boards.

Ah right, didnt see it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,205 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It may be covered by the crime of grooming or attempting to groom an underage child

Yes, maybe "intent" to commit a crime or something. I'm sure I read an article though that this type of sting is illegal in many countries in Europe. The British seem to be one of a handful to allow it and use it as evidence in a court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

He sent who he thought was a 13 year old girl pics of his flute.

He wanted her to tell her parents she was staying at a friends house while she was sleeping in a hotel with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Guys it's getting very confusing reading this thread as to who is referring to Al and who isn't? There is another thread open about the RTE producer.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Neil Issagum

anna080 wrote: »
    Guys it's getting very confusing reading this thread as to who is referring to Al and who isn't? There is another thread open about the RTE producer.

I was just thinking that after I posted in this thread saying ‘his’ Facebook page etc

The lines could be blurred unintentionally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If these allegations are true; then I will be appalled by his horrible criminal acts.

I would have no sympathy for him if he was arrested & taken to jail after he went to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Moral of the story, wait for the evidence before making a conclusion.

I don't listen to Porter, I don't find him funny, but I don't like this jump to the conclusion that he is guilty based on some newspaper article.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/blind-date-star-groped-me-on-psychiatric-hospital-visit-mwwhq623k?shareToken=8323fd581597d61a3e66e27b19f96870

Too too many voices at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The uk mirror state there are x4 accusers:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/blind-date-host-accused-sexual-11548529

The article says: 'Four men allegd that Porter touched them inappropriately in incidents dating back to 2012'

The Irish mirror says he's released a statement
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/al-porter-breaks-silence-amid-11549583
    "....had been in keeping with my flamboyant and outrageous public persona..."

Down with that sort of thing now, save 'outrageous' for car insurance quotations.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Neil Issagum

Who’s next I wonder? Joe Duffy lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

"....had been in keeping with my flamboyant and outrageous public persona..."

I couldn't believe that line when I read his "apology" earlier on. What a complete fúcking cop out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Now it’s Alad Jones’s turn… he’s not walking in the air no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

I just read his statement....

Decades in the entertainment industry.....he's 24 ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Who’s next I wonder? Joe Duffy lol

Seemingly there is another ex-RTE star who was constantly getting felt up throughout the 90s. It's been an open secret but hasn't been brought up yet. Apparently there is footage where someone off camera had their hand's down his pants while the show was being broadcast. I might get in trouble for naming him but it's bosco something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Just read the statement. Very poor non apology and was basically victim blaming.

The guy managed to make a worse statement than Kevin Spacey, and any chance he had at salvaging his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Porter has lost the chance of a very handy future when you think about it. Only 24 years old and already well recognised on d'telly and radio. Was possibly only a matter of time before he hopped on the RTE gravy train, some handy number with a massive cheque à la Tubs or Darcy. All gone to tatters in a matter of days, doubt we'll hear anymore of him once this has died down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Noveight wrote: »
    Porter has lost the chance of a very handy future when you think about it. Only 24 years old and already well recognised on d'telly and radio. Was possibly only a matter of time before he hopped on the RTE gravy train, some handy number with a massive cheque à la Tubs or Darcy. All gone to tatters in a matter of days, doubt we'll hear anymore of him once this has died down.

We live in hope.

All I need now is Tubridy to get the boot due to allegations from the ISPCA that he acted inappropriately with a male baboon before a Dublin Zoo segment on the Late Late show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's a stupid aul post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nope, different lad

Conor McKenna from foil, arms and hog.

Oh right, thought it was him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I never heard of him before this.

Doesn't seem like I've missed much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

thelynchs wrote: »
    Weird why people are so shocked by this, he's a gay guy, prentending to be a gay guy. Where's ur rainbow armband now, tree huggers. Next catholic priest's saga..... but we all need a gay friend, dont we ? But sure he's on RTE

What are you sh1ting on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

thelynchs wrote: »
    Weird why people are so shocked by this, he's a gay guy, prentending to be a gay guy. Where's ur rainbow armband now, tree huggers. Next catholic priest's saga..... but we all need a gay friend, dont we ? But sure he's on RTE

Being gay has nothing to do with inappropriate behaviour towards others like this or the myriad of other instances from people of all persuasions.

Using this as an anti gay thing is shallow and backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I've heard of him recently but never watched any of his comedy. I'm female and I've been groped in clubs and situations like that. I wouldn't really consider it to be sexual assault, more like nuisance behaviour from an arsehole. I've definitely groped guys too though, I mean I haven't grabbed a randomer's dick while walking around the place but I have groped guys I've been chatting to while drunk when I was younger, never considered what I was doing to be sexual assault and never had any complaints. Al Porter just seems to be a bit of an idiot, and putting your hand down someone's pants is a step too far but I don't think it should be career destroying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I've heard of him recently but never watched any of his comedy. I'm female and I've been groped in clubs and situations like that. I wouldn't really consider it to be sexual assault, more like nuisance behaviour from an arsehole. I've definitely groped guys too though, I mean I haven't grabbed a randomer's dick while walking around the place but I have groped guys I've been chatting to while drunk when I was younger, never considered what I was doing to be sexual assault and never had any complaints. Al Porter just seems to be a bit of an idiot, and putting your hand down someone's pants is a step too far but I don't think it should be career destroying.

Did you ever follow someone into a bathroom and grope them? Putting your hands down their pants and then continue to come onto them after they said they had no interest?that to me is sexual assault but maybe i'm just old fashioned.

I read his radio gig pays him €140,000 a year anyway. Don't know about blind date and the likes but what handy number to piss away!!!

Catch phrase changed to " Is he or isn't he??? signing on"!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Cut back on the jagermeisters, youre being a sex pest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Did you stick your hand down their pants or did someone stick a hand down you pants during the “groping”?
    I think you’re being a bit of an idiot...

seachto7 wrote: »
    Did you stick your hand down their pants or did someone stick a hand down you pants during the “groping”?
    I think you’re being a bit of an idiot...

I have had a hand stuck down my pants, yes, though I was referring to general groping. If you read my post fully you'd know I said that sticking a hand down someone's pants was a step too far. Thank you for your enlightening opinion of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I guess Jimmy Saville can now be pardoned, as he too could be described as having a flamboyant personality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

You seem to be extremely tolerant about sexual harassment/sexual assault.

Most people are not. Most people are disgusted and repelled by the allegations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Disgusted and repelled? I suspect most people can barely muster enough fcuks to give about it.
    Agricola wrote:
    All I need now is Tubridy to get the boot due to allegations from the ISPCA that he acted inappropriately with a male baboon before a Dublin Zoo segment on the Late Late show.
    :D:pac:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

It should probably be career destroying. One would surely tell a child that if a teacher puts their hands inside their pants that this is wrong, and that teacher should lose their job. One would surely tell a teenager that if the coach put their hand inside their underwear that this is sexual assault and that coach should lose their job. Surely you would say to your friend home from work in the office whose boss or colleague has put their hand inside their underpants that this is assault and that the one who did it should lose their job. If it happened on the bus or the luas or in the queue for the grocery checkout then the person who did it should be prosecuted for sexual assault. Cheesus, it's not that hard. People should not insert their hands into other people's knickers uninvited.

Perhaps I'd consider it some form of sexual harassment but assault is too strong a word for me in those cases. I never considered the times that I have been groped/had someone put a hand down my pants to be assault. It certainly never kept me awake at night. Now the time I was dragged into a bush and almost raped, I'd consider that to be assault alright.

Malayalam wrote: »
    It should probably be career destroying. One would surely tell a child that if a teacher puts their hands inside their pants that this is wrong, and that teacher should lose their job. One would surely tell a teenager that if the coach put their hand inside their underwear that this is sexual assault and that coach should lose their job. Surely you would say to your friend home from work in the office whose boss or colleague has put their hand inside their underpants that this is assault and that the one who did it should lose their job. If it happened on the bus or the luas or in the queue for the grocery checkout then the person who did it should be prosecuted for sexual assault. Cheesus, it's not that hard. People should not insert their hands into other people's knickers uninvited.

There is a massive difference between child abuse and the groping of another adult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Who made you spokesperson for "most people" ?

Most people I know couldn't give 2 flucks..

Exactly. It seems some people want to downplay the serious allegations for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

There is a massive difference between child abuse and the groping of another adult.

At what age do they transition to it being okay? You mentioned being very young in your grope experiences. So, I can tell my twelve year old that they should wait to 16 to be groped. 18? That at 20 if someone puts their hand down your drawers you should lighten up about it.

As someone who was once trapped in a locked train carriage alone with a deranged inividual furiously masturbating at them, I'm just grateful he did not actually touch me, and did not think that an oul fumble inside my underwear would hardly add much insult to the escapade.
    Meh.

Swanner wrote: »
    Who made you spokesperson for "most people" ?

Most people I know couldn't give 2 flucks..

Ask most people you know what they think of sexual assault and get back to me on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

M5 wrote: »
    I guess Jimmy Saville can now be pardoned, as he too could be described as having a flamboyant personality?

Hold on now, comparing this in any way to Jimmy Saville is ridiculous.

Saville was an all out sexual predator with a preference for children and those that could not give their consent. He was a sick twisted and evil individual.

Porter is very young and younger still when these events occurred. Id be of the opinion that most 'celebrities' and comedians are fairly insecure individuals attracted to fame and making people laugh to try to validate their own self worth. He allegedly sexually assaulted some individuals in the manner of someone who didnt understand how to relate to other people correctly through flirting etc - they all attest that he stopped when asked to. Ive been on the receiving end of this from men and women and havent thought too much about it beyond feeling pity for the person and perhaps an insult under my breath as i walked away. He didn't rape anyone this is not in any way comparable to Jimmy Saville, Harvey Weinstein etc etc.

Is this being investigated by the guards? If I felt myself to be the victim of abuse that's where I would go, not to twitter. This level of abuse shouldn't take four years to gather the strength to come forward either, smacks to me of a bunch of jealous peers who didn't like his success and wanted to take him down a peg. From seeing him on tv a few times I would be in no way surprised if there wasn't some truth in the allegations but I'd bet my two front teeth that a person who goes to tweet rather then the guarda station is likely to add legs to a tale too.

Balmed Out wrote: »

Saville was an all out sexual predator with a preference for children and those that could not give their consent. He was a sick twisted and evil individual.

Porter is very young and younger still when these events occurred. Id be of the opinion that most 'celebrities' and comedians are fairly insecure individuals attracted to fame and making people laugh to try to validate their own self worth. He allegedly sexually assaulted some individuals in the manner of someone who didnt understand how to relate to other people correctly through flirting etc - they all attest that he stopped when asked to. Ive been on the receiving end of this from men and women and havent thought too much about it beyond feeling pity for the person and perhaps an insult under my breath as i walked away. He didn't rape anyone this is not in any way comparable to Jimmy Saville, Harvey Weinstein etc etc.

Is this being investigated by the guards? If I felt myself to be the victim of abuse that's where I would go, not to twitter. This level of abuse shouldn't take four years to gather the strength to come forward either, smacks to me of a bunch of jealous peers who didn't like his success and wanted to take him down a peg. From seeing him on tv a few times I would be in no way surprised if there wasn't some truth in the allegations but I'd bet my two front teeth that a person who goes to tweet rather then the guarda station is likely to add legs to a tale too.

The savile comparison came about due to the allegation regarding porter sexually assaulting a patient in a mental health facility.

I think the victim was in hospital recovering from depression. The Sunday times covered it yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

M5 wrote: »

Are you from that Kerry town where they celebrated that rapist caught on camera? It certainly sounds like the same thought process.

• Advertisement

At what age do they transition to it being okay? You mentioned being very young in your grope experiences. So, I can tell my twelve year old that they should wait to 16 to be groped. 18? That at 20 if someone puts their hand down your drawers you should lighten up about it.

As someone who was once trapped in a locked train carriage alone with a deranged inividual furiously masturbating at them, I'm just grateful he did not actually touch me, and did not think that an oul fumble inside my underwear would hardly add much insult to the escapade.
    Meh.

I was in my teens and early twenties but the boys would have been about the same age. It's a very different situation than if a vulnerable child is groped by an adult. I was thinking more along the lines of night club or evening entertainment situations anyway, since that was the context of these events. Bit of a difference between someone grabbing your arse in a nightclub and someone shoving their hand down your pants when you are doing your shopping in Dunnes.

The savile comparison came about due to the allegation regarding porter sexually assaulting a patient in a mental health facility.

I think the victim was in hospital recovering from depression. The Sunday times covered it yesterday.

Haven't read it but would I be correct that as I understand it there are / were no complaints made to the Guards or the hospital and he himself denies it? If yes I would tend to ignore.

professore wrote: »
    Are you from that Kerry town where they celebrated that rapist caught on camera? It certainly sounds like the same thought process.

Not joining the flock of sheep who grab a pitch fork for a witch hunt or take as gospel everything some stranger writes on the internet would seem to me to be the opposite of the sheep mentality that went on in Listowel. Try to think for yourself.

Haven't read it but would I be correct that as I understand it there are / were no complaints made to the Guards or the hospital and he himself denies it? If yes I would tend to ignore.

Grand so, ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

I think his schtick is quite funny. He used the trope of being a flaming queen to make cutting comments. It worked. I found it hilarious to be honest.

For whatever reason, whether he was drunk out of his mind or knew exactly what he was doing, he decided to stick his hand in a stranger's jocks in the toilets, copping a feel and presumably made a habit of it.

You'd think he'd give a genuinely remorseful apology about being completely wrong but his apology or rather explanation tellingly offers no such remorse and is akin to 'twas only campy banter lads' and a worryingly deluded 'I didn't mean to offend anyone'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thing is, he didn't actually deny it.

He gave a classic, "I'm sorry if I offended anyone" statement. In a perfect world, this would be read as a nice person being genuinely concerned that someone was offended, rather than admitting to having done anything.

However in the modern world we know this is a roundabout way of saying, "Yeah I did that, but I didn't think I was doing anything wrong".

If you're looking for an example of a denial, George Takei is a better one. He just flat out denied the allegation, and it goes away. And that's because in order to issue a denial you need to be pretty sure that the incident didn't occur.

If you deny an allegation and more evidence comes out, then you may as well start digging your own grave.

This is why a nonpology with no flat denial is usually taken as an admittance, not necessarily of criminal guilt, but at least that the incidents occurred.

seamus wrote: »
    Thing is, he didn't actually deny it.

He gave a classic, "I'm sorry if I offended anyone" statement. In a perfect world, this would be read as a nice person being genuinely concerned that someone was offended, rather than admitting to having done anything.

However in the modern world we know this is a roundabout way of saying, "Yeah I did that, but I didn't think I was doing anything wrong".

If you're looking for an example of a denial, George Takei is a better one. He just flat out denied the allegation, and it goes away. And that's because in order to issue a denial you need to be pretty sure that the incident didn't occur.

If you deny an allegation and more evidence comes out, then you may as well start digging your own grave.

This is why a nonpology with no flat denial is usually taken as an admittance, not necessarily of criminal guilt, but at least that the incidents occurred.

He also mentioned the excuse of a flamboyant and outrageous persona

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Mark Tighe of the Sunday Times was very moved by the individual in the hospital. The chap was in there because of acute depression and extreme weight loss - very bad shape to be subjected to what has been alleged.

Interestingly, when presented with this guys account, Al's people threatened an injunction and an on-the-record rebuttal from another well-known personality but in the end, neither materialised and they didn't even release a statement.

jooksavage wrote: »
    Mark Tighe of the Sunday Times was very moved by the individual in the hospital. The chap was in there because of acute depression and extreme weight loss - very bad shape to be subjected to what has been alleged.

Interestingly, when presented with this guys account, Al's people threatened an injunction and an on-the-record rebuttal from another well-known personality but in the end, neither materialised and they didn't even release a statement.

When people see those details it is quite shocking that other people are seeking to downplay the seriousness of the allegations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

His statement really does stink of "it was just bantz". Pathetic stuff.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement