Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

433975.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

When people see those details it is quite shocking that other people are seeking to downplay the seriousness of the allegations.

Maybe some of us are starting to suffer from witch hunt fatigue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jack hackett

Cant say that I am one bit surprised over these revelations about Al Porter, he has a constant sleazy tone to him, he cant go one minute without turning it blue, there was that dimension to Gerry Ryan but he was more rounded in that regard whereas with Al Porter it defines him.

From day one I said that todayfm made a massive mistake taking on Porter and its totally backfired on them now and I'm delighted for them, they have some good solid options such as the likes of Muirean O Connell but they went with a guy who was all hype and now look where it got them...tv3 must be fuming, blind date was their big show of the year and it has been nothing but a disaster, one contestant was a thug who beat up an innocent man and the host turns out to be a sex pest??

Having said that, its hard not to feel (no pun intended) a bit sorry for Alan Kavanagh, he was on the crest of a wave, radio show, tv show, all his panto and comedy gigs and now his career is destroyed forever, no media outlet will touch him now and his panto career is ruined, they cant let a sex pest out in front of kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

This really does need a through Garda investigation, the time when so called "celebs" could use their position to abuse and bully others has come to end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

seamus wrote: »
    Thing is, he didn't actually deny it.

He gave a classic, "I'm sorry if I offended anyone" statement. In a perfect world, this would be read as a nice person being genuinely concerned that someone was offended, rather than admitting to having done anything.

However in the modern world we know this is a roundabout way of saying, "Yeah I did that, but I didn't think I was doing anything wrong".

If you're looking for an example of a denial, George Takei is a better one. He just flat out denied the allegation, and it goes away. And that's because in order to issue a denial you need to be pretty sure that the incident didn't occur.

If you deny an allegation and more evidence comes out, then you may as well start digging your own grave.

This is why a nonpology with no flat denial is usually taken as an admittance, not necessarily of criminal guilt, but at least that the incidents occurred.

I wouldn't draw the same conclusion. Sounds to me like an acceptance that he accepts something (though not necessarily what he is accused of) happened which could cause but wasn't intended to cause offense. From what I think your saying anything other then a complete refutation is an acceptance of guilt.

I am very uncomfortable with this trial by media where no actual investigation is carried out. It seems likely he misbehaved to some degree but if he admits that internet warriors will just presume the difference between what he admits and does not admit to must also be true but he cannot make a complete denial as there is some fabric of truth behind the claims.

Maybe tv3 can commission another remake, this time Al Porter could do a remake of Jeremy Beadles show, you better watch out, Porter's about.... :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Hold on now, comparing this in any way to Jimmy Saville is ridiculous.

Saville was an all out sexual predator with a preference for children and those that could not give their consent. He was a sick twisted and evil individual.

Porter is very young and younger still when these events occurred. Id be of the opinion that most 'celebrities' and comedians are fairly insecure individuals attracted to fame and making people laugh to try to validate their own self worth. He allegedly sexually assaulted some individuals in the manner of someone who didnt understand how to relate to other people correctly through flirting etc - they all attest that he stopped when asked to. Ive been on the receiving end of this from men and women and havent thought too much about it beyond feeling pity for the person and perhaps an insult under my breath as i walked away. He didn't rape anyone this is not in any way comparable to Jimmy Saville, Harvey Weinstein etc etc.

Is this being investigated by the guards? If I felt myself to be the victim of abuse that's where I would go, not to twitter. This level of abuse shouldn't take four years to gather the strength to come forward either, smacks to me of a bunch of jealous peers who didn't like his success and wanted to take him down a peg. From seeing him on tv a few times I would be in no way surprised if there wasn't some truth in the allegations but I'd bet my two front teeth that a person who goes to tweet rather then the guarda station is likely to add legs to a tale too.

Fully accept that they are not identical circumstances. I used the comparison to illustrate the ridiculousness of the excuse

While not identical, theee are plenty of parallels in behavior, the abuse of position, the unacceptable groping, the attempted whitewash, the assumption that the rules don't apply etc etc etc.

Most of the parallels are of course dowm to the "apology"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Al's defense seems to be from the school of thinking "Sure I was only having a laugh, they were big strong straights lads, Im only a little campy queen, what harm was I doing"

I think anyone defending him or saying it shouldn't finish his career, is probably coming at it from the same angle. Personally I wouldn't equate this with a woman dealing with a sexpest because I don't see the male victim here as vulnerable and powerless in the same way a woman would be with a male attacker. But obviously that's neither here nor there. No-one should have to put up with shít like this from the Al Porters of this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I've heard of him recently but never watched any of his comedy. I'm female and I've been groped in clubs and situations like that. I wouldn't really consider it to be sexual assault, more like nuisance behaviour from an arsehole. I've definitely groped guys too though, I mean I haven't grabbed a randomer's dick while walking around the place but I have groped guys I've been chatting to while drunk when I was younger, never considered what I was doing to be sexual assault and never had any complaints. Al Porter just seems to be a bit of an idiot, and putting your hand down someone's pants is a step too far but I don't think it should be career destroying.

and this is the thing. this behaviour by an large, seems to be acceptable if you are female.

i think if Al Porter was female and called Alison and did the same thing to men, it would be laughed off and accepted as normal in 99% of occasions.

it shouldnt be like that, men and womans actions should be treated and judged equally but it isnt and i think we are a long way off that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

why didn't any of them deck him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

AnneFrank wrote: »

Because this 20 year old guy that nobody ever heard of could make or break their careers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Having said that, its hard not to feel (no pun intended) a bit sorry for Alan Kavanagh, he was on the crest of a wave, radio show, tv show, all his panto and comedy gigs and now his career is destroyed forever, no media outlet will touch him now and his panto career is ruined, they cant let a sex pest out in front of kids

Who? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Because this 20 year old guy that nobody ever heard of could make or break their careers?

Does this suggest they would have done "anything" to be famous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

1. Because some people freeze when something like this happens and don't know how to react. A lot of people are kind of reared to laugh things off so as not to make things awkward, but obviously that shouldn't apply to a situation like this.

2. If they hit him, chances are they could end up being the ones in trouble. I'd hate to see someone defending themselves being charged with a hate crime, but look at it this way - the punch is something the guards know for sure happened, but the grope is your word against his.

3. At least one of the alleged incidents took place backstage at a comedy club. If the person in that instance had boxed him, he could seriously damage his career doing something like that in the workplace.

EDIT: Anyway, the question shouldn't be "why did none of the victims hit him?", it should be "why was this man allegedly groping people?"
    It's not right to put it back on the victim, man or woman. It's that sort of attitude that makes it so hard for men to come forward in cases of domestic abuse and sexual assault, this idea that if they were a "real man" they would have sorted it out themselves. It's damaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

You punch him = assault charges = "homophobic attack"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

yes i hear you but it just seems a bit odd, if not punch then push off in a strong manner, but i take the points you could then be in trouble too.
    I guess you don't know how you'd react till it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

seachto7 wrote: »
    Does this suggest they would have done "anything" to be famous?

No. I’m just baffled at how Al Porter held so much sway at 19/20 that people were afraid to do anything about it.
    Had anybody heard of him 5 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Does anyone else think this may not be the end of his career after all? I think there's much more chance he'll get away with this as an Irish comedian, rather than an English one in England.
    I wouldnt be surprised to see him away for 6 months or a year, return with a sombre heart to heart with Tubridy where he admits he got caught up in his own act and sexual identity issues, and gradually gets reintegrated into the showbiz scene, although perhaps toned down a bit. Tubs always goes soft on his pals (no pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Eponymous wrote: »
    You punch him = assault charges = "homophobic attack"

Exactly perfect defence really.who are they going to believe in this situation the less famous,possibly jealous straight white comedian or they already famous nothing to gain from it tv/radio recognised comedian?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Cant say that I am one bit surprised over these revelations about Al Porter, he has a constant sleazy tone to him, he cant go one minute without turning it blue, there was that dimension to Gerry Ryan but he was more rounded in that regard whereas with Al Porter it defines him.

From day one I said that todayfm made a massive mistake taking on Porter and its totally backfired on them now and I'm delighted for them, they have some good solid options such as the likes of Muirean O Connell but they went with a guy who was all hype and now look where it got them...tv3 must be fuming, blind date was their big show of the year and it has been nothing but a disaster, one contestant was a thug who beat up an innocent man and the host turns out to be a sex pest??

Who was that?

Edit: looked it up there now. What a scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Vojera wrote: »
    1. Because some people freeze when something like this happens and don't know how to react. A lot of people are kind of reared to laugh things off so as not to make things awkward, but obviously that shouldn't apply to a situation like this.

2. If they hit him, chances are they could end up being the ones in trouble. I'd hate to see someone defending themselves being charged with a hate crime, but look at it this way - the punch is something the guards know for sure happened, but the grope is your word against his.

3. At least one of the alleged incidents took place backstage at a comedy club. If the person in that instance had boxed him, he could seriously damage his career doing something like that in the workplace.

EDIT: Anyway, the question shouldn't be "why did none of the victims hit him?", it should be "why was this man allegedly groping people?"
    It's not right to put it back on the victim, man or woman. It's that sort of attitude that makes it so hard for men to come forward in cases of domestic abuse and sexual assault, this idea that if they were a "real man" they would have sorted it out themselves. It's damaging.

That's the key part here. It was done in the toilets with no cameras and likely no one else in there so no witnesses. There's a predatory aspect to that. It's not as if he was out in the open in a pub or club doing it.

He might have expected to get hit for sexually assaulting someone, and if he didn't think that then he is clearly deluded. If he was quite understandably hit then as mentioned it's a case of assault on him and it get's attention as he is a high profile, gay man he could play the homophobic attack angle if he got clattered to escape accountability or responsibility. He get's to play the victim for sympathy and in doing so let's someone, who was in the wrong place at the wrong time, get destroyed through the court and media whereas the reality is that is was just someone who simply reacted to his sexual assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Does anyone else think this may not be the end of his career after all? I think there's much more chance he'll get away with this as an Irish comedian, rather than an English one in England.
    I wouldnt be surprised to see him away for 6 months or a year, return with a sombre heart to heart with Tubridy where he admits he got caught up in his own act and sexual identity issues, and gradually gets reintegrated into the showbiz scene, although perhaps toned down a bit. Tubs always goes soft on his pals (no pun intended)

His material is totally unsuited now. It's 99% him wanting to ride every man in sight. He'd never get away with it.
    As an aside, probably an unpopular opinion but Jesus I feel a bit sorry for the bastard. I don't have Twitter but a girl I work with showed me her timeline there and the abuse he's getting. Jaysus. Are people enjoying his downfall a bit too much? You can condemn his actions and feel what he did was wrong, but some of the abuse he's getting his very personal and it seems like people are revelling in his misery.
    I just could never do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Also often sexual assault perps carefully choose their victims. They will choose ppl who they feel are vulnerable or won't be able to make a strong deterrence to their assault. They often are extremely cunning in their activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

This thread will probably go on longer than the gimps career!

More than decades?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Vojera wrote: »

The question I would ask is why would a victim not complain to the garda and instead do so via social media.

How many of the assault accusations relate to a time when he was a media figure? As for his career if you can masturbate in a plane....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

The question I would ask is why would a victim not complain to the garda and instead do so via social media.

That's victim blaming / shaming / whatevereming..

I'm outraged and offended by your comments..

I've no idea what I expect you to do about that btw..

Just thought you should know..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

anna080 wrote: »
    His material is totally unsuited now. It's 99% him wanting to ride every man in sight. He'd never get away with it.
    As an aside, probably an unpopular opinion but Jesus I feel a bit sorry for the bastard. I don't have Twitter but a girl I work with showed me her timeline there and the abuse he's getting. Jaysus. Are people enjoying his downfall a bit too much? You can condemn his actions and feel what he did was wrong, but some of the abuse he's getting his very personal and it seems like people are revelling in his misery.

Maybe but Im not so sure. To me he sees himself as a bit of an old school cabaret presenter / crooner,and was trying to position himself in that direction anyway. I was expecting him to gradually reign in the filth and go more mainstream over time. This might propel him down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Just had a look at his twitter and it's not too bad, very polite actually, some people defending him and others pointing out how silly that stance is, one lad in particular saying that grabbing someone by the balls is normal on the gay scene etc and some old women wishing him the best, other standing firm on the opinion that justice has been done but no death threats or abuse as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

That's a question I really can't answer. I also think the legal route is the correct way to go, and while it's a positive that so many of these predators are being exposed, it would be better if it went through the proper channels and if everyone was allowed their due process - mostly because if someone is innocent they should have the ability to have themselves proven so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are many, many reasons.
    The same question is often asked about rape victims - "why didn't she go to the Gardai?", "Why did she spread rumours instead of having him arrested?".

I don't know if you've ever been assaulted - not necessarily sexually, even being punched by someone in the street, or mugged, or some scumbag starting on you.

Everyone reacts differently. There's often an immediate sense of personal shame.
    Shame that you didn't react appropriately, that you froze, or ran, or talked softly instead of shouting.
    Shame that you may have "exposed" yourself to the behaviour through your actions.
    Shame that instead of standing up for yourself, you wilted and relented.
    Shame that you missed the warning signs, which were obvious in hindsight.

It is this sense of shame that makes people reluctant to go straight to the Gardai. Instead they'll sit on it for a couple of days, often saying nothing to anyone - nobody wants to admit their personal failings, especially when it's so raw. "If I say nothing to anyone, I can just pretend nothing happened, move on".

In the case of sexual assault, it's this delay that's the big problem. When the fog of shame lifts, you realise that you've been wronged. But now you have no evidence, you've been going about a "normal life" for a couple of days, and so coming forward with an allegation now is a huge deal - one which carries a huge risk of not being believed.
    So instead, you double down, you try to move on and forget about it.

Of course, when said person then starts appearing all over the media as great craic, beloved darling of the talk shows, seemingly getting on brilliantly with their own life despite what they've done to you, that's going to make you very bitter and angry. And desperate to get the truth out.

So you're not going to go to the Gardai - what are they going to do about an alleged grope in a nightclub 4 years ago? Instead, you're going to try and find other ways of getting the message out.

Note; I'm not saying that the allegations are true. Simply answering the question of why someone would make their complaint in the media (social or traditional) rather than through the authorities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Maybe but Im not so sure. To me he sees himself as a bit of an old school cabaret presenter / crooner,and was trying to position himself in that direction anyway. I was expecting him to gradually reign in the filth and go more mainstream over time. This might propel him down that road.
    I doubt there is any road left for him. His 'apology' seems to me to be saying that people misunderstood that he was acting out this camp persona and it was their dislike of this persona that is causing the problems now.

It wasn't Al Porter causing the problems, it was this alternate persona.

I doubt many will buy into that line of reasoning, tbh.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Just had a look at his twitter and it's not too bad, very polite actually, some people defending him and others pointing out how silly that stance is, one lad in particular saying that grabbing someone by the balls is normal on the gay scene etc and some old women wishing him the best, other standing firm on the opinion that justice has been done but no death threats or abuse as far as I can see.

I've seen references to Larry Murphy, Jimmy Saville among many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

anna080 wrote:
    His material is totally unsuited now. It's 99% him wanting to ride every man in sight. He'd never get away with it. As an aside, probably an unpopular opinion but Jesus I feel a bit sorry for the bastard. I don't have Twitter but a girl I work with showed me her timeline there and the abuse he's getting. Jaysus. Are people enjoying his downfall a bit too much? You can condemn his actions and feel what he did was wrong, but some of the abuse he's getting his very personal and it seems like people are revelling in his misery. I just could never do that.

I don't have Twitter either, but I'm shocked at how nasty people are here about his comedy. I actually thought he was very good, but you seem to get more abuse for that than for defending his actions.

I suspect people are using this to bash him more than Michael Cogan for example because they don't like how camp he is.

Just to be clear, his alleged actions are reprehensible and well into the realms of sexual assault. But the bashing seems to be much broader than his actions. It seems opportunistic.

I've seen references to Larry Murphy, Jimmy Saville among many others.

Yes you'll get some extreme comments, overall I don't think it's been too bad and certainly not less than he deserves, the one account that got me the most was the guy in hospital who was recovering from severe depression :mad:

blue note wrote: »
    I don't have Twitter either, but I'm shocked at how nasty people are here about his comedy. I actually thought he was very good, but you seem to get more abuse for that than for defending his actions.

I suspect people are using this to bash him more than Michael Cogan for example because they don't like how camp he is.

Just to be clear, his alleged actions are reprehensible and well into the realms of sexual assault. But the bashing seems to be much broader than his actions. It seems opportunistic.

I suspect they don't like the sheer overriding arrogance contained in his apology and his attempt to downplay sexual assault. Having been grabbed myself by a random stranger, it is very distressing, and the perpetrator just sneered and smiled at me as he took in how I looked, obviously pleased and satisfied by my look of shock and loss at what to do, I felt sick and it ruined my night. If it's happened to you then you know better, call it life experience.

Oh absolutely it's sexual assault. I wouldn't be one for getting hysterical about things but if someone put their hand down my pants and grabbed my bare vanjingle I'd absolutely consider myself to have been assaulted.
    Al's attempt to minimise it as a) flamboyance and b) "nobody told me they were upset", is just him laying the blame at the feet of everyone else but himself. The first step in apologising is admitting wrongdoing and he failed to even do that.

Yep, he is finished as a comedian as his whole act was about filth

seachto7 wrote: »
    Who? :confused:

Alan Kavangah is his real name, Al Porter is the stage name and persona he created

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

cloudatlas wrote:
    I suspect they don't like the sheer overriding arrogance contained in his apology and his attempt to downplay sexual assault. Having been grabbed myself by a random stranger, it is very distressing, and the perpetrator just sneered and smiled at me as he took in how I looked, obviously pleased and satisfied by my look of shock and loss at what to do, I felt sick and it ruined my night. If it's happened to you then you know better, call it life experience.

People were racing into this thread to say he was completely unfunny and simply a rubbish comedian well before his apology. Now, a significant amount of it was surely posting in the hope of getting lots of thanks, but it came across as nasty to me. Basically that people were delighted they could now have a go at him, rather than what he did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep, he is finished as a comedian as his whole act was about filth
    "filth" eh? I'm picturing Mary Whitehouse here. :pac:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Where does Nanny Pat stand on all of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

People were racing into this thread to say he was completely unfunny and simply a rubbish comedian well before his apology. Now, a significant amount of it was surely posting in the hope of getting lots of thanks, but it came across as nasty to me. Basically that people were delighted they could now have a go at him, rather than what he did.

I’ve posted on his lack of any talent many times since his appointment to TodayFM. What is even scarier are comments I’ve seen from people hoping this won’t stop him being in the pants because it wouldn’t be that same without him.

Somehow putting their own juvenile entertainment before respect for any people injured by Porter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

From the Olympia
    STATEMENT – OLYMPIA THEATRE PANTOMIME
    PAT EGAN MANAGEMENT & SPOTLIGHT PRODUCTIONS

Due to recent developments, Al Porter is standing aside from his role in this year’s Pantomime Polly and the Beanstalk at the Olympia Theatre.

A replacement star will be announced shortly.

Pat Egan Management / Stuart O’Connor, Spotlight Productions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Wibbs wrote: »

Part of Julian Clary’s appeal and success on TV was that the innuendo and the double entendres were just subtle enough to go over your grannies head so you could sit watching him, sniggering away to yourself and no one was being offensive.
    Al Porter is a one trick pony in-your-face blue comic whose act belongs in a venue where people choose to pay to go to be entertained in that way.
    It is filth.
    I now think that TV3 and Today FM made serious mistakes in hiring him and they will hopefully not make the same mistake again.

josip wrote: »
    From the Olympia

Porter and the beanstalk :D

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    Part of Julian Clary’s appeal and success on TV was that the innuendo and the double entendres were just subtle enough to go over your grannies head so you could sit watching him, sniggering away to yourself and no one was being offensive.
    Al Porter is a one trick pony in-your-face blue comic whose act belongs in a venue where people choose to pay to go to be entertained in that way.
    It is filth.
    I now think that TV3 and Today FM made serious mistakes in hiring him and they will hopefully not make the same mistake again.

Absolutely 100% correct and the most correct assessment I have seen on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭jooksavage

"That's a bad cough. You should suck a fisherman's friend"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Wibbs wrote: »

Or this lad. "Bloody filth!"

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

God his apology was so patronising. Basically saying its all your fault you didn't recognise sexual assault as my style of humour and now Im losing my job due to your over reactions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Al Porter is a one trick pony in-your-face blue comic

well put. There is no complexity or intelligence whatsoever in his routine. It's just cheap tack based on the idea that gay men are desperate and want to f*ck everything they see. I'm not "offended" by it, it's just sh*t. But producers have lapped it up for some reason - the whole Late Late Valentines thing that Porter was on was driven by this brand of comedy and Blind Date too. It wouldn't surprise me if that sort of rubbish was done away with now off the back of this scandal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement