Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Where does Nanny Pat stand on all of this?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Olaf Tyaransen did an interview with AP for the Hot Press last week just before the allegations came out. Tweeted an hour ago to say "his words may come back to haunt him."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

jooksavage wrote: »
    Olaf Tyaransen did an interview with AP for the Hot Press last week just before the allegations came out. Tweeted an hour ago to say "his words may come back to haunt him."

Sounds ominous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sounds ominous

Olaf sounds like he is from Westeros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

pjohnson wrote: »
    Olaf sounds like he is from Westeros

Surely he's from Arendelle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

blue note wrote: »
    People were racing into this thread to say he was completely unfunny and simply a rubbish comedian well before his apology. Now, a significant amount of it was surely posting in the hope of getting lots of thanks, but it came across as nasty to me. Basically that people were delighted they could now have a go at him, rather than what he did.

Yes there were because the lads had come out on twitter with their accounts. He is a ****e comedian.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭up4dabah

Absolutely delighted that we don't have to listen to that voice anymore. It was like an icepick in my ear every day in work. I only knowof him from his radio programme and couldn't believe he was a comedian. There was zero humour in his show.

well put. There is no complexity or intelligence whatsoever in his routine. It's just cheap tack based on the idea that gay men are desperate and want to f*ck everything they see. I'm not "offended" by it, it's just sh*t. But producers have lapped it up for some reason - the whole Late Late Valentines thing that Porter was on was driven by this brand of comedy and Blind Date too. It wouldn't surprise me if that sort of rubbish was done away with now off the back of this scandal.

It's pure laziness on the part of the RTÉ production staff. "Al porter is available on Friday-yeah, whatever, that'll do".

That seems to be standard out in donnybrook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

His statement yesterday says a lot about the man. Thinking that 'flamboyancy' is a good enough excuse for this kind of behavior.
    He is young enough to go on and do something else, maybe retrain and work in IT or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

(Nothing to do with the sex pest stuff)
    I've never heard or watched him on Radio/TV so don't know what he's like on those.
    I've seen him in the Olympia Panto and thought he was very good, most of the humour wasn't sexual innuendo.
    Lots of spontaneity and a natural fit for Panto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

blue note wrote: »
    People were racing into this thread to say he was completely unfunny and simply a rubbish comedian well before his apology. Now, a significant amount of it was surely posting in the hope of getting lots of thanks, but it came across as nasty to me. Basically that people were delighted they could now have a go at him, rather than what he did.

Every thread on AH about a comedian since I started using boards.ie (in about 2005) has lots of posts about how they're not funny. It's not an al porter thing, it's an AH thing about comedians. Start a thread about any comedian and in the first 25 comments 10 will be about how they're not funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Cienciano wrote: »
    Every thread on AH about a comedian since I started using boards.ie (in about 2005) has lots of posts about how they're not funny. It's not an al porter thing, it's an AH thing

It's a people thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Had to laugh at "decades in the entertainment industry"

He really has his head firmly wedged in his arsé

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Agricola wrote: »

That's what decades in the entertainment industry will do to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Agricola wrote: »

Decades, sure how old is the fella :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

TallGlass wrote: »
    Decades, sure how old is the fella :pac:

He's been in Showbusiness since he was 4 so he has, apparently, 2 decades of experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

He's been in Showbusiness since he was 4 so he has, apparently, 2 decades of experience.

1xn5lr.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I suppose there’s nothing for him but to take up the heroine, move to Thailand and work in seedy bars. Doing tricks on the side to help pay for his habit.

He’s persona non grata forever more…

• Advertisement

If the pics circulating on whatsapp are real, porter is screwed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

He’ll find a way back in if he takes up the sackcloth and ashes for a bit and levers himself back onto the chat show circuit wearing a scruffy t-shirt and unwashed hair, being very mea culpa and hinting darkly at how mental health demons/substance abuse issues drove him to become a monster.
    But his ludicrous statement yesterday which basically accused everyone of being a dry ****e showed that he’s not really there yet.

Who is supposed to have taken these snaps?

Al Porter’s apology not enough, say accusers
    Al Porter’s apology following allegations of sexual misconduct has been rejected by the four men who came forward to accuse him.

The comedian said sorry “to anyone I may have genuinely offended” but claimed the incidents in which he was accused of groping the men “had been in keeping with my flamboyant and outrageous public persona”.

Porter’s insistence that he was taken aback by “the scale and tone of the vitriol” against him was sarcastically dismissed by one of the men.
    Conor O’Toole, 26, who won the Spirit of Wit award at this year’s Dublin Fringe Festival, alleged that he was groped by Porter in 2014 at Dublin’s Ha’penny Bridge comedy club. He branded the apology “horse****”.

“It’s not sincere at all,” he said. “My apologies to Al Porter for calmly and accurately describing my experience. Wow. Sorry I was a bad victim bud,” Mr O’Toole tweeted.

George Fox, 33, who accused Porter of groping him at a bar during a comedy event in 2012, said the apology had left him “deeply saddened”.
    “Rather than taking ownership of his deplorable behaviour he has chosen to shirk responsibility for his own actions in a cowardly attempt at reframing this behaviour as some form of performance, joke or an extension of a character,” Mr Fox said. “He was left with no doubt as to my wishes to not be touched by him but he still chose to overstep those boundaries. To come out and attack the people he has already hurt so badly is just another indicator of what little care or respect he has for the victims speaking out.”
    Porter last night resigned from Today FM and stepped away from his other roles with immediate affect.

The Times reported on Saturday that four men had accused the comedian of groping their genitals at shows over the past five years. A fifth man alleged to The Sunday Times that when he was a psychiatric patient Porter groped and kissed him while visiting a hospital to promote a mental health awareness charity in 2015. Porter has not commented on this allegation but it is understood that he denies it.

“I have been completely taken aback by reports in the media and on the social networks over the weekend,” Porter said in a statement released by his Pink Tie production company.

“I have come to the decision that I need time away from the spotlight,” the 24-year-old comedian said. “I have informed Today FM that I am resigning from the station with immediate effect. To my family, colleagues, friends and fans I thank you for your many, many messages of support.”
    Davey Reilly, 27, who worked for Porter at a comedy night and claimed he was first groped in 2014, last night also rejected the comedian’s apology. “That he claims groping someone’s genitals without their consent and to protests is ‘light-hearted’ or ‘good-natured’ is massively offensive,” he said. “The statement displays the arrogance that he’s become known for over the past few years in the comedy scene here and in the UK.”

Eoin O’Faogain, 26, a musician and writer, said that Porter put his hand down the back of his trousers and pinched him in October 2015. “To conflate a flamboyance and light-hearted personality with what happened is outrageous and it is an insult to the people he has done this to and to anyone who has experienced sexual assault,” he said.
    The Times also revealed that a separate complaint was raised with Today FM regarding unsolicited sexual messages that Porter sent over Facebook to a musician earlier this year.

A spokesman for the station said that it did not comment on staff issues. It is understood that the broadcaster considers the matter dealt with.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/al-porters-apology-not-enough-say-accusers-nvx5cmj38

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

As I said before, he's nowhere near good enough to make a come back. He's been found out to be actually the person he was parodying. People are only comfortable and entertained by that if it's presumed he's kidding.

How can he come back when he has no act now? "Hi, I'm Al Porter and today I'll be interviewing A Dublin Firefighter, jaaaaaysus I wouldn't mind hosing him down. He can slide down my pole any day, wha! *fake cackle*"

CUT! CUT! Al, try a different approach.

"But.. that's all I've got"

splinter65 wrote: »
    Part of Julian Clary’s appeal and success on TV was that the innuendo and the double entendres were just subtle enough to go over your grannies head so you could sit watching him, sniggering away to yourself and no one was being offensive.
    Al Porter is a one trick pony in-your-face blue comic whose act belongs in a venue where people choose to pay to go to be entertained in that way.
    It is filth.
    I now think that TV3 and Today FM made serious mistakes in hiring him and they will hopefully not make the same mistake again.

Julian Clary and Al Porter should never appear in the same sentence. Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Swanner wrote: »
    Who made you spokesperson for "most people" ?

Most people I know couldn't give 2 flucks..

You must not know a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Yeah saw them - if they're real he is indeed royally ****ed

splinter65 wrote: »
    Who is supposed to have taken these snaps?
    No idea, I'm sure Al Porter knows, it's conversation screenshots along with a "private" photo of Al. I don't know if they're real.
    Grayditch wrote: »
    How can he come back when he has no act now? "Hi, I'm Al Porter and today I'll be interviewing A Dublin Firefighter, jaaaaaysus I wouldn't mind hosing him down. He can slide down my pole any day, wha! *fake cackle*"
    If anyone doesn't know who Al Porter is, that is pretty much it! Cut and paste x1000 and swap out a few key words every so often and that's whole seasons script for Blind Date.

Yeah saw them - if they're real he is indeed royally ****ed

What are the photos about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Climate Change

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

Climate Change
    I fukking knew it!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dmm82

Yeh what was in the photos?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

KKkitty wrote: »
    I believe his accusers. Why else would they say he's done this to them. His accusers don't seem like they want to make a quick buck off this but to make others aware that this is the sort of behaviour that Al Porter is capable of. I never went out of my way to watch Al Porter or listen to him on radio but there's no smoke without fire as the saying goes. The fact that he's been obviously instructed to go on any kind of leave speaks volumes.

After 4 or 5 years they want to protect others? Bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

pilly wrote: »
    After 4 or 5 years they want to protect others? Bull****.

Do you not believe the accusers then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Climate Change

He can move to Kerry so,it doesn't exist there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

A certain poster here forwarded the pics to me (thanks ffs). Anyway it's snapshots from him talking to some dude, with our Al going on about being on the bag and wanting to perform analingus on some dude. Oh and the cherry on top is a picture of his you know what.
    Whoever shared the screen grabs is a bit of a d1ck in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jack hackett

Grayditch wrote: »
    As I said before, he's nowhere near good enough to make a come back. He's been found out to be actually the person he was parodying. People are only comfortable and entertained by that if it's presumed he's kidding.

CUT! CUT! Al, try a different approach.

"But.. that's all I've got"

Thats exactly it, he cant have one conversation without making it dirty...and all along its wasnt just a laugh, its what he was actually up to.... his panto career is finished, polly and the beanstalk wah? wouldnt mind getting up your beanstalk wah? deyazus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jack hackett

well put. There is no complexity or intelligence whatsoever in his routine. It's just cheap tack based on the idea that gay men are desperate and want to f*ck everything they see. I'm not "offended" by it, it's just sh*t. But producers have lapped it up for some reason - the whole Late Late Valentines thing that Porter was on was driven by this brand of comedy and Blind Date too. It wouldn't surprise me if that sort of rubbish was done away with now off the back of this scandal.

Something good will come of this so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭donaghs

dmm82 wrote: »
    Yeh what was in the photos?

I haven’t seen any, but from reading about his exploits and talking to people who’ve encountered him, it’s probably a case of “which ones?”

Lots of allegations of stuff dating from his time as a Gaeltacht “cinnera”, student leader/supervisor. But if someone is so inclined, it’s unlikely to be a “one-off” incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

A certain poster here forwarded the pics to me (thanks ffs). Anyway it's snapshots from him talking to some dude, with our Al going on about being on the bag and wanting to perform analingus on some dude. Oh and the cherry on top is a picture of his you know what.

I have no idea of the context of this conversation so forgive my ignorance- but surely to god people are allowed to have sexual conversations on a mutual basis without their privacy being eroded and exploited?
    Now if this wasn't a mutual thing and he was bombarding some lad with willy pics then that's different.
    Also what does "being on the bag" mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If someone sends you unsolicited pictures of their pipe then you are fully within your rights to share screen grabs.

I'm amazed people don't do it more tbh.

anna080 wrote: »
    Also what does "being on the bag" mean?

Cocaine. If every coke user in the media was revealed our radio and TV stations would be offline for quite a while methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The thing that I find odd, weird, or maybe slightly disturbing about this story is peoples reaction and even celebrating him leaving todayfm, not down to what he did, but simply because they did not like him as a personality.

Bloody hell, if you feel that strongly just change the stations. I personally dont like him as a personality either, but still think its a shame that he has felt to leave his job, for what are still allegations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

anna080 wrote: »
    I have no idea of the context of this conversation so forgive my ignorance- but surely to god people are allowed to have sexual conversations on a mutual basis without their privacy being eroded and exploited?

Worse than that, one of the screenshots is a Facebook status from the gf of one of the lads he was messaging, but from the guy's account posting grabs of their conversations I.e. His gf was snooping on his account, found the messages and then shared them, outing him from his own account publicly complete with very sexual messages.

I mean it's not on cheating on her with Al but Jesus what a cúnt move - could she not just have broken up with him ffs

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    The thing that I find odd, weird, or maybe slightly disturbing about this story is peoples reaction and even celebrating him leaving todayfm, not down to what he did, but simply because they did not like him as a personality.

Bloody hell, if you feel that strongly just change the stations. I personally dont like him as a personality either, but still think its a shame that he has felt to leave his job, for what are still allegations.

Are you joking?

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2017/11/20/a-hospital-visit/

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2017/11/17/standing-up/

What does it take? He didn't deny it either in his apology just said it was because he is 'outrageous' and 'flamboyant'.

What because he works for RTE and a national radio station, his professional ability can't be questioned as well. You really have to wonder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I didn't like him or his act, but that's an awful bleak future to be facing into. I feel sorry for the lad. Not condoning his actions, they are unforgivable, if true.

The trouble is: it doesn't matter much whether they're true or not at this stage. The damage is done.

Unforgivable is taking it too far.

We have turned into a nation of witch burners.

Ffs, he hasn't murdered someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

all the girls in my office are more interested in how big his schlong is

AnneFrank wrote: »
    all the girls in my office are more interested in how big his schlong is

It shall haunt my dreams forever

What punishment do you think is suitable for multiple cases of sexual assault?
    If you had an employee or worked with someone who did that would you be happy for them to represent your company at meetings knowing that they might get 'handsy', would you like to work with them beside you in the office? I know I wouldn't. Sure tis only a bit of craic like!

• Advertisement

This evening I’m completely blaming anyone (TV3 Today FM the Gaiety Theatre) who employed him to work in mainstream entertainment (I’m convinced they must have heard these rumors about him long ago but took him on anyway) when he clearly should have been restricted to performing in private adult entertainment venues.
    And I do think that he will still be welcome in these venues, but he’s not fit for public consumption on the national airwaves. Now or ever.
    One thing is for sure.
    He’ll never try to grope anyone again and if he does he’ll get a terrible beating.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement