Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Penn wrote: »
    Agreed. At the same time though, I don't think it's unfair of people in this thread referring to the people who have made accusations as victims either, unless the person in questions have said they don't want to be called victims. It's not an unreasonable term to use given the circumstances.

Exactly. When you report a crime to the Gardai, if you were the affected person you receive a "victim of a crime" letter (or something along those line) with info for victims and a victim of crime helpline number. Its a term used to describe someone who had a crime commited to/against them. In this case the crime was sexual assault. It may be an emotive term for some people but it's not really the incorrect term to use unless the person explicitly states otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Matt Cooper told us he would be covering this story on The Last Word which surprised me and I was going to give him credit for doing so.

But Matt's idea of 'covering' it was nothing more than reading out Porters statement that was released last night.

Compared with the airtime he gave to sticking the knife in George Hook and bringing on guests who wanted to do the same to Hook was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

https://www.buzz.ie/weird/rte-twitter-appears-hacked-messaged-al-porter-accuser-262507

RTE twitter account was 'hacked' or just indicative of the knobs in montrose....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

cloudatlas wrote: »
    And if he didn't ask for a dick pic to be sent?
    If he didn't ask then Porter was wrong to send it. But you know what, I still don't agree with it being in the public domain as the other party in the conversation didn't give their consent to having it shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Vojera wrote: »
    But you know what, I still don't agree with it being in the public domain as the other party in the conversation didn't give their consent to having it shared.

I don't agree with it either and there needs to be stronger laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

pilly wrote: »
    I agree with you Penn, it's precisely how the person feels themselves.

It is not however up to us to call someone a victim in fact some people really object to being called a victim because it demeans them.

There was one recent horrific case of two girls abused by their father and neither of them wanted to be called victims.

We can't bestow the victim title on people just so we feel comfortable about bashing the abuser.

Legally, they are the victim. If somebody steals something from my pocket. I'm a victim of crime. There's no requirement for it to be on par with somebody who had their house robbed. This isn't an excuse to bash Porter, it's calling out unacceptable and criminal behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Listen, i'm not defending the chap, but i do think a bit of perspective is needed here, that's all i'm saying

If you consider that someone you barely know plunging their hand, out of the blue, into your knickers and squeezing your vagina, is no big deal really and not an assault, and that you wouldn’t be upset if it happened you, nor would you be upset if it happened to your loved one, then I can understand why you think the response is out of perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

splinter65 wrote: »
    If you consider that someone you barely know plunging their hand, out of the blue, into your knickers and squeezing your vagina, is no big deal really and not an assault, and that you wouldn’t be upset if it happened you, nor would you be upset if it happened to your loved one, then I can understand why you think the response is out of perspective.

Are you saying that's what Al Porter done, but on a man!?
    Fooookin hell.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Are you saying that's what Al Porter done, but on a man!?
    Fooookin hell.....

That’s what it’s alleged he did . And not just once...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fair enough, if they want to consider themselves to be victims then that's up to them, I just don't think that's a healthy mindset in this instance.

You are coming across as clueless when it comes to the effects of sexual assault/harassment, but sure, carry on regardless, I doubt you will take heed of anyone here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

You are coming across as clueless when it comes to the effects of sexual assault/harassment, but sure, carry on regardless, I doubt you will take heed of anyone here.

She has already said she was dragged into bushes and nearly raped.... perhaps a hand on the groin wouldn't affect her as much as an attempted rape?.... everyone has their own limit and guide as to what they find acceptable and unacceptable....it's not your place to judge others

She has already said she was dragged into bushes and nearly raped.... perhaps a hand on the groin wouldn't affect her as much as an attempted rape?.... everyone has their own limit and guide as to what they find acceptable and unacceptable....it's not your place to judge others

Is she not judging the victims? She said it's not a healthy mindset for them to have??? I mean, wtf?

Is she not judging the victims? She said it's not a healthy mindset for them to have??? I mean, wtf?

It's her opinion shaped by her own experience...it's not that hard to fathom is it? Or do you need to have it spelled out for you?

It's her opinion shaped by her own experience...it's not that hard to fathom is it? Or do you need to have it spelled out for you?

I'm giving my response to her opinion based on My experience.

Do I need to spell it out for you?

I'm not interested in dragging the thread further off topic so won't be continuing this side debate.

I'm giving my response to her opinion based on My experience.

Do I need to spell it out for you?

I'm not interested in dragging the thread further off topic so won't be continuing this side debate.

Glad to have come to your senses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Listen, i'm not defending the chap, but i do think a bit of perspective is needed here, that's all i'm saying

What perspective is that then ?

f9oiAh8.gif

You better explain what part of sexual assault is acceptable to you. You do at least grasp what inappropriate behaviour is ?
    Fair enough, if they want to consider themselves to be victims then that's up to them, I just don't think that's a healthy mindset in this instance.

Did it ever occur to you that its your mindset that might not be healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

I read his public statement and TBH the use of the words " public persona" I find very odd. It's not a public persona these allegations are made against its him.....

It's quite shocking and revealing that some people are STILL trying their damndest to minimise the serious allegations.

Funny that you should say that. Mark Tighe with the Sunday Times had retweeted this on his Twitter page.

https://twitter.com/LukePField/status/932320463912685569

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I don't believe that seeing yourself as a victim is a healthy mindset. Maybe if a truly traumatic crime had occurred, then I'd understand it. Maybe these men felt truly traumatised but then I'd have to wonder how easy their lives had been up to this point if one crotch grab scarred them for life. I don't know what is so "wtf" about that. You know sometimes it's about how you choose to see yourself. I have Cystic Fibrosis, but I don't refer to myself as a sufferer or a victim, the wording is important to me, nor do I because of previous groping incidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

Well drugs are rife in the gay community, you'd need to be pretty clueless to think it unusual of a gay man in the entertainment industry to be fond of a few lines

Who doesn't enjoy riding and some sniff...gay or straight

This is completely blown out of proportion, so many people revelling in anothers downfall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Allegedly abusing someone who’s ill in hospital? Yeah, that’s Jimmy Saville territory that he’s allegedly after crossing over into.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

McCrack wrote: »
    Who doesn't enjoy riding and some sniff...gay or straight

This is completely blown out of proportion, so many people revelling in anothers downfall

Yes I know, but drug use really is far higher in the gay community

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/drug-use-seven-times-higher-among-gays-8165971.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

STB. wrote: »
    You better explain what part of sexual assault is acceptable to you.

Has this guy been convicted of or even charged with sexual assault?

Wombatman wrote: »
    Has this guy been convicted of or even charged with sexual assault?

Who cares.

How does that fit in with your amateur debating skills.

Try and follow the thread before hopping on a post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Kyng Shaggy Strap

It's quite shocking and revealing that some people are STILL trying their damndest to minimise the serious allegations.

If he/someone else did what he’s alleged to done to a woman, their opinion would drastically be different

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

If he/someone else did what he’s alleged to done to a woman, their opinion would drastically be different

This is it and no amount of delection will change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

That's not true for everyone, it would make no difference to me. I'm certainly not one to be standing up for... "the gays" and I also don't like Al Porter's routine much at all. I almost always hate public witchhunts so don't assume.

You'd want to read some of the posts in here from women and forget about the auld whataboutery

Yes it would, because we don't see men his own age as vulnerable compared to women. That's why I don't take this anywhere nearly as seriously as an "assault" on a woman, because I could easily deal with it myself.

• Advertisement

Yes it would, because we don't see men his own age as vulnerable compared to women. That's why I don't take this anywhere nearly as seriously as an "assault" on a woman, because I could easily deal with it myself.

So say if someone gave him a dig, I’d guarantee he’d go crying to the cops claiming a homophobic attack on him ... best way to deal with it is the going to the authorities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Let's imagine a very unfunny young woman did what he's alleged to have done to another woman.

Still the unforgivable, sick, depraved and disgusting crime?

So say if someone gave him a dig, I’d guarantee he’d go crying to the cops claiming a homophobic attack on him ... best way to deal with it is the going to the authorities

Maybe he would, I don't care, but if he tried to grab me by the bollocks I'd probably just push him away and tell him to f off. That's how I would deal with it any many others I suppose.
    So this obviously isn't black and white.

Anyway I'm sick talking about him and looking at pictures of his dick on Whatsapp, so for that reason, I'm out...

Let's imagine a very unfunny young woman did what he's alleged to have done to another woman considerably older than her.

Yes- it’s assault- doesn’t matter if victim is male or female

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Let's imagine a very unfunny young woman did what he's alleged to have done to another woman.

Lena Dunham and her baby sister?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

aah....... The old.......... IF me Auntie had balls..........

She would probably have been felt up by Al...........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Its not unforgivable. Half the posters here are just happy because they dont like him as a personality or a radio presenter etc.

What he was doing was well out of line and he will more than suffer the impact of it. But he's not Fred West or Larry Murphy for **** sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Did I say any of the above? No, so please don't try and speak for me.

Dev84 wrote: »
    Its not unforgivable. Half the posters here are just happy because they dont like him as a personality or a radio presenter etc.

What he was doing was well out of line and he will more than suffer the impact of it. But he's not Fred West or Larry Murphy for **** sake.

Yeah at the start I was almost happy that I wouldn't have to see nor hear anything of him ever again. Now I'm starting to empathise, he's hardly a monster, but his whole career and life could be over now.

• Advertisement

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    aah....... The old.......... IF me Auntie had balls..........

She would probably have been felt up by Al...........

Good to know it doesn’t matter if it happens to a man so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

How do you know the men claiming assault aren't vulnerable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

When was his trial? I didn't realise he had been found guilty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

STB. wrote: »
    What perspective is that then ?

f9oiAh8.gif

You better explain what part of sexual assault is acceptable to you. You do at least grasp what inappropriate behaviour is ?

Did it ever occur to you that its your mindset that might not be healthy.

Where did I say it was acceptable?

Yes- it’s assault- doesn’t matter if victim is male or female

Ok. But that's not what I asked.

Yeah at the start I was almost happy that I wouldn't have to see nor hear anything of him ever again. Now I'm starting to empathise, he's hardly a monster, but his whole career and life could be over now.

It probably is. Not his life but id say his show biz persona is ****ed now.

I always felt acts like his got old quickly
    though.

• Advertisement

Ok. But that's not what I asked.

If a woman did what he’s alleged to another woman. I’d have the same opinion as I do of porter - that is assault

Dev84 wrote: »
    I always felt acts like his got old quickly
    though.

Yeah but that doesn't matter on Irish tv/radio, once you get a foot in the door you're there for life no matter if you're liked or not

If a woman did what he’s alleged to another woman. I’d have the same opinion as I do of porter - that is assault

I agree. But there are degrees of severity.

Yeah but that doesn't matter on Irish tv/radio, once you get a foot in the door you're there for life no matter if you're liked or not

Vaild point.

I think he deserves a chance. Wont get it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Their all looking for cash of the poor chap.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement