Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

When was his trial? I didn't realise he had been found guilty

The poster said that even if it is true, it’s no big deal.
    That was the context of my reply.
    But you knew that.
    So deflect, deflect, deflect..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Their all looking for cash of the poor chap.
    And we all know what the "poor chap" was looking for when he shoved his greasy fingers down their trousers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

splinter65 wrote: »
    The poster said that even if it is true, it’s no big deal.
    That was the context of my reply.
    But you knew that.
    So deflect, deflect, deflect..

Show me where someone said that Splinter? You can't, because you're lying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

I heard he has a libel lawyer??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Where did I say it was acceptable?

When you tried to justify and compare it to murder. I suppose thats your idea of perspective.
    it's not nice and he will pay for it, but he hasn't killed anyone, and let's be honest, he's only 24, we all make mistakes when we're young, He just didn't help himself with that statement, he should have been more contrite.

When you belittled the allegations that have been made with this.
    all the girls in my office are more interested in how big his schlong is
    Hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

STB. wrote: »
    Who cares.

How does that fit in with your amateur debating skills.

Try and follow the thread before hopping on a post.

Who appointed you sheriff of Boards?

Now that your verdict on Al and I is signed sealed and delivered, who is next up in your kangaroo court?

People who understand what due process is and the right to ones good name, may care a little.

I have never been a fan of Al but I'm concerned at the ease of which allegations are been thrown around here, escalated and accepted as fact.

When you tried to justify and compare it to murder. I suppose thats your idea of perspective.

When you belittled the allegations that have been made with this.

Hilarious.
    So you can't, hilarious

Show me where someone said that Splinter? You can't, because you're lying.

You suggested that a bit of perspective was needed.
    I put it to you that you considered what he is alleged to have done is no big deal.
    I said that I could understand that if you considered it to be no big deal (and your absolutely entitled to your opinion) that I could see how you would think that the reaction was OTT.
    Is that not true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Money money money it's all about money lmao

So you can't, hilarious

In English please. Please try and form a sentence.

• Advertisement

Was he not just having a laugh.
    How did this get so MASSIVE?
    Like he was only having da Craíc 😊

Money money money it's all about money lmao

What would be the money angle Sam?

You suggested that a bit of perspective was needed.
    I put it to you that you considered what he is alleged to have done is no big deal.
    I said that I could understand that if you considered it to be no big deal (and your absolutely entitled to your opinion) that I could see how you would think that the reaction was OTT.
    Is that not true?

Ah, so I didn't actually say it at all, you lost the run of yourself and put words in my mouth, hilarious

In English please. Please try and form a sentence.

Keep digging

Wombatman wrote: »
    Who appointed you sheriff of Boards?

Now that your verdict on Al and I is signed sealed and delivered, who is next up in your kangaroo court?

People who understand what due process is and the right to ones good name, may care a little.

I have never been a fan of Al but I'm concerned at the ease of which allegations are been thrown around here, escalated and accepted as fact.

The allegations have been made in the press by not one but several.

He has resigned from Today FM. His TV3 show has been pulled. He is gone from the panto.

Do you think any of those organisations did that lightly.

I have made no verdict on Al Porter. That is in your head.

And you are trying to explain due process to me. Back to the amateur debating society with you.

What would be the money angle Sam?

Ahhhhhh hahahaha.
    What would be the money angle ahhhhh hahaha..
    Emmmm you are joking, RIGHT!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And we all know what the "poor chap" was looking for when he shoved his greasy fingers down their trousers

Unproven
    Dev84 wrote: »
    I heard he has a libel lawyer??

I would too if I were he

Keep digging

Are you saving up for a higher IQ, keep saving. :)

Ah, so I didn't actually say it at all, you lost the run of yourself and put words in my mouth, hilarious

Are you denying now that you said a bit of perspective was needed?
    And you never confirmed or denied my suggestion that you would have no issue with a total stranger ramming their hand down your knickers and grabbing your vagina?
    Either it would or it wouldn’t bother you.
    You said a bit of perspective was needed.
    Tell me what your perspective is on the whole scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

If his apology was even a smidgen contrite and genuinely remorseful, i might be prepared to give him a second chance but consigned to Panto and the gay scene, and Tallaght, and not in my face daily on main stream media, where one has to seek him and his sense of humour/"flamboyance" etc. out.
    I dont think his career should be over for being a prick, but he'll need to do better with his apology.

Not everything is “hilarious”.
    Are you denying now that you said a bit of perspective was needed?

That's not what you quoted me as saying though is it old chap, presumption is a terrible thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I see his "privates" have leaked online and some rather pg messages

That's not what you quoted me as saying though is it old chap, presumption is a terrible thing

Are you not going to give us your perspective on the allegations Anne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just got sent a video of him streaking on stage.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just got sent a video of him streaking on stage.

No inhibitions at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

He has resigned from Today FM. His TV3 show has been pulled. He is gone from the panto.

And you are trying to explain due process to me. Back to the amateur debating society with you.

I don't think you understand the rule 'innocent until proven guilty'. It doesn't matter that he left programmes. As soon as the twitchfork brigade on twatter start attacking many stations give in to their demands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Firstly, please learn to use question marks.

Secondly, please learn the difference between allegations, charges and convictions.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Firstly, please learn to use question marks.

Secondly, please learn the difference between allegations, charges and convictions.

I'd use a question mark if I was asking a question. Where I didnt, its a statement.

So not happy with trying to explain due process, you now need to point out differences between allegations, charges and convictions. Like I said the reasoning is all in your head. Go back and read the posts you hopped on.

Alternatively why dont you go back to your amateur debating society (no question mark) like I suggested earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

If his apology was even a smidgen contrite and genuinely remorseful, i might be prepared to give him a second chance but consigned to Panto and the gay scene, and Tallaght, and not in my face daily on main stream media, where one has to seek him and his sense of humour/"flamboyance" etc. out.
    I dont think his career should be over for being a prick, but he'll need to do better with his apology.

His career seems to be over due to him grabbing pricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I agree.
    He's a thoroughly distasteful individual but no crime committed
    I hate his humour
    And his claim "after decades in showbiz.."
    The weirdo is 24 ffs

Porter is not a n trial here, but ****ing social media.
    Ooh.
    My arse.

Ooh etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't think you understand the rule 'innocent until proven guilty'. It doesn't matter that he left programmes. As soon as the twitchfork brigade on twatter start attacking many stations give in to their demands.

Read his apology. He admitted his behaviour

Cienciano wrote: »

The people who came forward are not happy with his apology either.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/al-porters-apology-not-enough-say-accusers-nvx5cmj38?shareToken=5937c641cfa557cd74c676ff9bec6873

According to Mark Tighe Journo with the Sunday Times who have been instrumental in publishing stories from those that have come forward:

The student whose experience with Al Porter was that he was groped and kissed by him when he was in a psychiatric hospital is one of the bravest and most impressive people I've dealt with in my time as a reporter with the Sunday Times. This young man spoke about being groped when he was experiencing extreme weight loss and other symptoms of acute depression. We believed his story. It was an important one to publish especially given Porter's well publicised comments on mental health issues. Some of Porter's representatives on Saturday threatened the ST with an injunction and an on-the-record denial from another celebrity. In the end there wasn't even a statement. It was a stressful experience for this young man but he was steadfast throughout. Porter should give him a direct and full apology.

https://twitter.com/marktigheST

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'd use a question mark if I was asking a question. Where I didnt, its a statement.

So not happy with trying to explain due process, you now need to point out differences between allegations, charges and convictions. Like I said the reasoning is all in your head. Go back and read the posts you hopped on.

Alternatively why dont you go back to your amateur debating society (no question mark) like I suggested earlier.

Difficult to tell given the bits listed below.

"Innocent until proven guilty" is the phrase you're looking for, which has most certianly not happened. He willingly stepped back from his commitments, he's been convicted of nothing. Yet.

Due process does appear to be something you're unfamiliar with if you're tarring him as guilty based on circumstnatial eveidence.

Now, just to be clear, I'm of the opinion he's done something, but I don't know what; but that said, I'm not forming judgment until I know for sure.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Cienciano wrote: »

Is it criminal?
    Or the the daily act of a prick which the "victims" never pulled him up.on

This is unbelievable.

Instead of accepting it, don't accept it.
    This **** is routine that a lot of man and woman NOT in the TV eye faces everyday

My biggest gripe with this is why the **** should a data collection megabillion company be the outlet for it

He's a lewd cünt.

End of.

His accusers were thinking this weirdo is useful to the m once the prick was useful to them

I can speculate too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Dev84 wrote: »
    Vaild point.

I think he deserves a chance. Wont get it though.

If someone in your neighbourhood went around doing this repeatedly to women and girls in your area, literally sticking his hand down their pants and forcing them up against walls for a grope with a view to getting the ride. Consistently. Repeatedly. and then tried to pass it off as just a bit of banter...

How long do you think he’d be allowed do it?

There’s absolutely no difference just cos he’s been Doing it to lads.

I read that one of the allegations was that he kissed some fella without his permission. Is that really that bad? That has happened to me and I've got over it a minute later. I fear that the #metoo campaign, begun by a bunch of narcissists on the narcissists dream platform, twitter, draws attention seekers who want everyone to know that they've been a 'victim'.

The groping and forced kissing of the young lad in the psychiatric ward is very Jimmy Savile. Abusing someone that vulnerable is pretty sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I read that one of the allegations was that he kissed some fella without his permission. Is that really that bad? That has happened to me and I've got over it a minute later. I fear that the #metoo campaign, begun by a bunch of narcissists on the narcissists dream platform, twitter, draws attention seekers who want everyone to know that they've been a 'victim'.
    cisk wrote: »
    The groping and forced kissing of the young lad in the psychiatric ward is very Jimmy Savile. Abusing someone that vulnerable is pretty sickening.

Hang on - how did we get to groping and kissing another man in a psychaitric ward?! He;s not Jimmy ****ing Saville, for ****'s sake (at least, not based on current information)

Difficult to tell given the bits listed below.

No they were all statements.
    "Innocent until proven guilty" is the phrase you're looking for, which has most certianly not happened. He willingly stepped back from his commitments, he's been convicted of nothing. Yet.

Due process does appear to be something you're unfamiliar with if you're tarring him as guilty based on circumstnatial eveidence.

No I wasnt looking for anything like that. The reference to due process is in relation to the same poster attempting to explain due process to me in a previous post.

I understand them all. It was a matter of having to, given my chosen career for many years!

I tarred him with nothing. My first post on this thread was to tackle those dismissing the victims, attempting to marginilise any type of sexual assault, and compare it to murder in the scheme of things!
    Hang on - how did we get to groping and kissing another man in a psychaitric ward?! He;s not Jimmy ****ing Saville, for ****'s sake (at least, not based on current information)

I think you've a bit of reading to do. 2 or 3 posts up. Times article.

I didn't hear about that either

• Advertisement

It’s not that simple at all. He’s tried to force himself on an alarming number of lads I know and me too. He’s known for it throughout the gay scene and beyond. And he’s being called out on it now and people are saying ‘poor al. His poor career is over’. Fvck sake he’s Saville in the making. Hiding in plain sight and now thankfully stopped before he can do worse.
    There’s far more serious stories on the way about him out there. Just a matter of if those people are brave enough to come forward. And given the bizarre defence of him and his actions it’ll be a wonder if they do.

david75 wrote: »
    If someone in your neighbourhood went around doing this repeatedly to women and girls in your area, literally sticking his hand down their pants and forcing them up against walls for a grope with a view to getting the ride. Consistently. Repeatedly. and then tried to pass it off as just a bit of banter...

How long do you think he’d be allowed do it?

There’s absolutely no difference just cos he’s been Doing it to lads.

Ya dirty minded git ya, jaysizzzzz creeeeeest.
    Are you saying Al Porter did this, but to men!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Regarding the hospital allegation Someone posted the details from the Sunday times article a few mins ago.

The Sunday times article. He groped and tried to kiss a lad in a psychiatric ward who was there for an eating disorder. This happened in the hospital. So yes. Jimmy saville.

Ya dirty minded git ya, jaysizzzzz creeeeeest.
    Are you saying Al Porter did this, but to men!?!?

That’s exactly what he’s been doing. For years now. Are you only hearing about it this minute?

No they were all statements.

You don't begin statements with "Do you think..." and "Are you...".
    No I wasnt looking for anything like that. The reference to due process is in relation to the same poster attempting to explain due process to me in a previous post.

I understand them all. It was a matter of having to, given my chosen career for many years!

I tarred him with nothing. My first post on this thread was to tackle those dismissing the victims, attempting to marginilise any type of sexual assault, and compare it to murder in the scheme of things!

Curious to know what your profession is given the fact that you don't know what a question is.

Regarding the due prosess, fair point - but you seem to have made you mind up based on information that is not based on fact. I may be wrong here - totally open to that - I'm not going back and reading your every post on the topic.

I think you've a bit of reading to do.

Noted, but in which case a source link should have been included by the posters making the accusations.

That’s exactly what he’s been doing. For years now. Are you only hearing about it this minute?

Did you and your friends report these incidents to the Gardaí? That would have been the right thing to do if they affected you that much. Instead, he's been subjected to a witchhunt on twitter and his career is over. Full stop. I don't really care about him but I'm no fan of people making allegations on social media and attracting a vicious mob to slander an individual. That is exactly what has happened here.

If these incidents were reported to the authorities I'm sure Porter would have been reprimanded and would have stopped.

Are you joking.
    I thought he just done mild humorous stuff all for a laugh.
    I never heard about what your saying.
    Jaysizzzzz creeeeesst.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Am I wrong in thinking that one of the allegations is that he slipped his hand down some unwilling dudes jeans and grabbed a hold of his todger?

I'm no fan of AP, I don't doubt some of alligations...but how would that particular assault work?

I've been in the pub with some mates tonight, some gay, and we can't figure out the physicalities of such a situation.

We've tried it out and it doesn't seem possible.

• Advertisement

Did you and your friends report these incidents to the Gardaí? That would have been the right thing to do if they affected you that much. Instead, he's been subjected to a witchhunt on twitter and his career is over. Full stop. I don't really care about him but I'm no fan of people making allegations on social media and attracting a vicious mob to slander an individual. That is exactly what has happened here.

If these incidents were reported to the authorities I'm sure Porter would have been reprimanded and would have stopped.

You’re in a bar and someone sticks their hand down your jocks you simply push him off and tell him To fvck off. If you’re a lad.
    There have been more aggressive incidents than that. You ever tried to go into a Garda station as a gay guy and say you’ve been assaulted sexually? Try that sometime. Though in fairness they don’t laugh you out of the station as much as they used to.

As to why people male or females don’t report this stuff, you probably should read about that for yourself. But it’s certainly nobody’s fault in that situation for feeling that they can’t or cos they’re afraid and ashamed and embarrassed to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement