Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

blue note wrote: »
    anna080 wrote:
    His material is totally unsuited now. It's 99% him wanting to ride every man in sight. He'd never get away with it. As an aside, probably an unpopular opinion but Jesus I feel a bit sorry for the bastard. I don't have Twitter but a girl I work with showed me her timeline there and the abuse he's getting. Jaysus. Are people enjoying his downfall a bit too much? You can condemn his actions and feel what he did was wrong, but some of the abuse he's getting his very personal and it seems like people are revelling in his misery. I just could never do that.

I don't have Twitter either, but I'm shocked at how nasty people are here about his comedy. I actually thought he was very good, but you seem to get more abuse for that than for defending his actions.

I suspect people are using this to bash him more than Michael Cogan for example because they don't like how camp he is.

Just to be clear, his alleged actions are reprehensible and well into the realms of sexual assault. But the bashing seems to be much broader than his actions. It seems opportunistic.

Like the bashing Kevin Myers and George Hook got for expressing unpopular opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

david75 wrote: »
    You’re in a bar and someone sticks their hand down your jocks you simply push him off and tell him To fvck off. If you’re a lad.
    There have been more aggressive incidents than that. You ever tried to go into a Garda station as a gay guy and say you’ve been assaulted sexually? Try that sometime. Though in fairness they don’t laugh you out of the station as much as they used to.

As to why people male or females don’t report this stuff, you probably should read about that for yourself. But it’s certainly nobody’s fault in that situation for feeling that they can’t or cos they’re afraid and ashamed and embarrassed to.

U seem to know a lot about the allegations. Are you saying there are further even more serious allegations that will be coming out over the next few days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

humberklog wrote: »
    Am I wrong in thinking that one of the allegations is that he slipped his hand down some unwilling dudes jeans and grabbed a hold of his todger?

I'm no fan of AP, I don't doubt some of alligations...but how would that particular assault work?

I've been in the pub with some mates tonight, some gay, and we can't figure out the physicalities of such a situation.

We've tried it out and it doesn't seem possible.
    Yeah, unless they were wearing a tracksuit or something it seems pretty difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Can someone PM me the leaked screenshots?

Obviously not in the right whatsapp groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Did you and your friends report these incidents to the GardaThat would have been the right thing to do if they affected you that much. Instead, he's been subjected to a witchhunt on twitter and his career is over. Full stop. I don't really care about him but I'm no fan of people making allegations on social media and attracting a vicious mob to slander an individual. That is exactly what has happened here.

If these incidents were reported to the authorities I'm sure Porter would have been reprimanded and would have stopped.

It seems the trauma increases with the rising profile of the alleged perpetrator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

david75 wrote: »
    You’re in a bar and someone sticks their hand down your jocks you simply push him off and tell him To fvck off. If you’re a lad.
    There have been more aggressive incidents than that. You ever tried to go into a Garda station as a gay guy and say you’ve been assaulted sexually? Try that sometime. Though in fairness they don’t laugh you out of the station as much as they used to.

As to why people male or females don’t report this stuff, you probably should read about that for yourself. But it’s certainly nobody’s fault in that situation for feeling that they can’t or cos they’re afraid and ashamed and embarrassed to.

Fair enough if the accusations are very serious. But in many cases - such as the case I mentioned earlier of some person being forcibly kissed by Porter - these are things people can get over. I have a friend who used to be very touchy in a jokey way. I never it seriously, and I certainly don't need to go on to twitter detailing the experience with a #metto at the end. I think there is a scary determinism in relation to people who have had unwanted attention, that says these people are victims and can never get over it. It's nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

You don't begin statements with "Do you think..." and "Are you...".

Are we really having a disucssion about spoken inflections and written question marks. I didnt expect an answer.

Curious to know what your profession is given the fact that you don't know what a question is.

Curious eh.
    Regarding the due prosess, fair point - but you seem to have made you mind up based on information that is not based on fact. I may be wrong here - totally open to that - I'm not going back and reading your every post on the topic.

But you'll have to if you think I have made allegations or assume I have made my mind up.

As I said earlier I took someone to task over when they attempted to say that the allegations and victim statements were not serious. They most certainly are.

I do not have to worry about what has been published as fact. The newspapers and media do, if the allegations are untrue.

Do you think its strange that he has resigned from Today FM ?

Do you think its strange that his TV show has been pulled by TV3 ?

Do you think that it is stange that he is being replaced in a panto ?

Perhaps these organisations did not understand due process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Let's just wonder here for those who think that if these allegations are true he should not lose his career....if he were an employee who did that stuff to a colleague he'd be out on his ear. Given that some of these alleged assaults happened during the course of working (gigs) etc then I see no difference, and TBH working in such public roles as he does makes his position untenable if the allegations are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 AHOKD

humberklog wrote: »
    Am I wrong in thinking that one of the allegations is that he slipped his hand down some unwilling dudes jeans and grabbed a hold of his todger?

I'm no fan of AP, I don't doubt some of alligations...but how would that particular assault work?

I've been in the pub with some mates tonight, some gay, and we can't figure out the physicalities of such a situation.

We've tried it out and it doesn't seem possible.

This is the bit I don't quite get, guilt or innocence aside... how do you get your hands down the front of someone's trousers without them instinctively stopping you unless you are wearing extremely loose fitting tracksuit bottoms?

Also again whether he is guilty or innocent, people having a go at him for saying he has been in showbiz for decades because he is 24 is a bizarre angle to take. As far as I know, although he has been popular as a comedian for the last 5 years or so he has been on stage in everything that was going since he was very young. It's a weird thing to pick to have a go at him over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

STB. wrote: »
    Are we really having a disucssion about spoken inflections and written question marks. I didnt expect an answer.

Yes.
    Curious eh.

Very. Obviously, it's nothing law based.
    But you'll have to if you think I have made allegations or assume I have made my mind up.

As I said earlier I took someone to task over when they were attempting to say that the allegations and victim statements were not serious. They most certainly are.

I do not have to worry about what has been published as fact. The newspapers and media do, if the allegations are untrue.

"Due process" typically refers to the administration of legal justice. There's no legal case here. At least, not yet. Also, he stood aside willingly in some of these cases, so the organisations made no decision.

What you've done here is formed an opinion, which is fine. No problem there. But it's not legal fact.

(PS - thank you for using question marks :) )

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

screamer wrote: »
    Let's just wonder here for those who think that if these allegations are true he should not lose his career....if he were an employee who did that stuff to a colleague he'd be out on his ear. Given that some of these alleged assaults happened during the course of working (gigs) etc then I see no difference, and TBH working in such public roles as he does makes his position untenable if the allegations are true.

Lets say he admits to the accusations, apologizes and vows never to engage in such behaviour again, do you really think his whole career should be ruined? Such a situation should be dealt with in a calm and considered manner, not dictated by online mobs. I typed Al Porter's name in to twitter and couldn't believe the amount of bile aimed at him.

Lets say he admits to the accusations, apologizes and vows never to engage in such behaviour again, do you really think his whole career should be ruined? Such a situation should be dealt with in a calm and considered manner, not dictated by online mobs. I typed Al Porter's name in to twitter and couldn't believe the amount of bile aimed at him.
    See you've answered your own question. He relies on the "mobs" aka public to buy tickets to his shows....to tune into his radio show so he can command a handsome salary.....to buy panto tickets etc. If the public don't and won't purchase/ listen/ attend any longer because they are outraged/ disgusted ( even if only because of alleged behaviour) then a career dependant on public support is over. It's simple really.....

Yes.

Well then I suggest you read my answers aloud.
    Very. Obviously, it's nothing law based.
    It could be said that it is not law based. Then again some might say you would need to know a little bit.
    "Due process" typically refers to the administration of legal justice. There's no legal case here. At least, not yet. Also, he stood aside willingly in some of these cases, so the organisations made no decision.

What you've done here is formed an opinion, which is fine. No problem there. But it's not legal fact.

(PS - thank you for using question marks :) )

Again, I never claimed there was a legal case, just yet.

He stood aside. Perhaps.

Again I have formed no opinion. I have tackled people who made outrageous statements belittling such behaviour. Thats a generality.

PS The obvious questions were for you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The people who came forward are not happy with his apology either.

[[/url]

If they actually wanted an apology from him, surely theyd have contacted him directly , or even through a lawyer , and not by telling the world on twitter thought, No? They move in the same circles do they not ( the fellow comedians)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Gropes you. You don’t push him off for whatever reason. Gets what he wants. Up to sex. Delighted.
    Or
    Gropes you. You push him off and tell him to fvck off. ‘Ah I’m only havin a Buzz don’t be takin it so seriously!’ Weird transparent excuse where you know exactly that it isn’t a joke and he’d take full advantage of he could have.

That’s his MO and most like him. Sexual opportunism up to predatory. Definitely disfunctional eitherway and consistent behaviour in Porters case for years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Personally I believe he deserves to have his so called “career” taken from him.
    There’s plenty of factory jobs and basic jobs out there for him to eek out a living, he has no right to hold onto a €140k/yr job with todayfm just because you feel sorry for him. He has betrayed the trust put in him by the public and has no right to continue making a living from them.

Now, that said, the general public has a short memory and are a fickle bunch, if he holds his hands up, does his time so to speak, I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t appear wringing his hands on the late late in a few years and then make imhis seedy way back into the public eye.

Hang on - how did we get to groping and kissing another man in a psychaitric ward?! He;s not Jimmy ****ing Saville, for ****'s sake (at least, not based on current information)

Think you’ve missed this

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2017/11/20/a-hospital-visit/

cisk wrote: »

If this is true (co-operating with Mod warnings) Porter is nothing but a predator and can't see how anyone can defend his actions.

Don't think Sunday Times would be publishing it and Mark Tighe tweeting about it if it wasn't true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Are we really having a disucssion about spoken inflections and written question marks? I didnt expect an answer.

Curious eh.

As I said earlier I took someone to task over when they attempted to say that the allegations and victim statements were not serious. They most certainly are.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I just don't see how his humour can be relevant after this. Now that he's accused of sexual assault his entire repertoire is now obselete. He's a one trick pony.

• Advertisement

If they actually wanted an apology from him, surely theyd have contacted him directly , or even through a lawyer , and not by telling the world on twitter thought, No? They move in the same circles do they not ( the fellow comedians)

Are you blaming the victims for how they came forward ?

What I said is that they are not happy with his apology. His sorry “to anyone I may have genuinely offended” but claimed the incidents in which he was accused of groping the men “had been in keeping with my flamboyant and outrageous public persona”.

Not all of them were comedians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

One the great things about this is that breed of pery, overbearing gay guy now realises that his hilarious camp 'flirting' is not acceptable.

Exactly, saw him on LLS a while back, he said some disgusting things about a male boxer who had been on immediately before that. It was of a sexual nature. Tubs just laughed at his comments and moved on.

If it was a straight comedian on saying what he'd do with Katie Taylor l doubt Tubs would have been the same. Delighted he's been found out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I imagine he is now going to go into therapy to fix his problems and move into a different profession ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I am lmao(not really)at all these insinuations and filth ANNNND bile and judgemental comments lmao... About a 24yr old YOUNG FELLA..
    Makes me realise how many nasty pieces of shít are on boards and social media in general.....
    ffs he grabbed somebody by the goooolies(apparently).
    And to make things EVEN worse for you nasty posters it was a few years ago jaysizzzzz creeeeest.
    I'll have to take some of you with me on a Saturday night(on my rounds)and see what some youngsters get up to..Bloody Ridiculous.

I am lmao(not really)at all these insinuations and filth ANNNND bile and judgemental comments lmao... About a 24yr old YOUNG FELLA..
    Makes me realise how many nasty pieces of shít are on boards and social media in general.....
    And to make things EVEN worse for you nasty posters it was a few years ago jaysizzzzz creeeeest.
    I'll have to take some of you with me on a Saturday night(on my rounds)and see what some youngsters get up to..Bloody Ridiculous.

I'm in my early 20s and what he's accused of doing is in no way the norm for "youngsters". Grabbing someone "by the goolies" is sexual assault and I'm glad people on here and on social media are disgusted by his actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

What Al porter has been doing is just so wrong. It's crass, senseless and actually pretty distressing. It defies logic and he has a LOT to answer for. I think he should apologise to the entire country for the things he has done.

And to top it all off, he's a sex pest now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

EIREDriver wrote: »
    I'm in my early 20s and what he's accused of doing is in no way the norm for "youngsters". Grabbing someone "by the goolies" is sexual assault and I'm glad people on here and on social media are disgusted by his actions.

I'm not here to argue.
    But if you say so

AGAIN

LMAO............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

I guess it should come as no surprise that Al Porter defenders would have very screwed up ideas regarding acceptable behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Al Porter's actions and his defence of them are disgusting. Porter is (yet) another media created 'sensation' whose artificially created 'fame' owes almost 100% to Tubridy, etc. and whose act concentrates on vulgarity. His lewd behaviour on the Valentines edition of Tubridy's show along with a show aired one Christmas called The Al Porter Show gives us all we need to know about what this man considers funny.

I daresay Porter is just the tip of the iceberg and is the result of all the promotion of sleaze that the media have engaged in. I blame Mrs Brown too for making vulgarity mainstream. I am sick of seeing dirt posing as comedy on our screens and as Porter proves, the perpetrators of dirt can engage in actions as well as words. When that happens, it is clearly time to discourage crude, vulgar comedians and their attempts to make obscene actions part of their as Porter calls it 'outrageous public persona'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Exactly, saw him on LLS a while back, he said some disgusting things about a male boxer who had been on immediately before that. It was of a sexual nature. Tubs just laughed at his comments and moved on.

If it was a straight comedian on saying what he'd do with Katie Taylor l doubt Tubs would have been the same. Delighted he's been found out.
    He likes a good pounding in the ring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Al Porter's actions and his defence of them are disgusting. Porter is (yet) another media created 'sensation' whose artificially created 'fame' owes almost 100% to Tubridy, etc. and whose act concentrates on vulgarity. His lewd behaviour on the Valentines edition of Tubridy's show along with a show aired one Christmas called The Al Porter Show gives us all we need to know about what this man considers funny.

I daresay Porter is just the tip of the iceberg and is the result of all the promotion of sleaze that the media have engaged in. I blame Mrs Brown too for making vulgarity mainstream. I am sick of seeing dirt posing as comedy on our screens and as Porter proves, the perpetrators of dirt can engage in actions as well as words. When that happens, it is clearly time to discourage crude, vulgar comedians and their attempts to make obscene actions part of their as Porter calls it 'outrageous public persona'.

That's exactly it though. We went through years there of celebrating vulgarity as if it signaled that we were just so "right on", open to everything, everyone who didn't find it all a bit f fun was just a prude. It was a ticket from obscurity to having your own national media career for God sake. Al Porter sounds like he believed the adulation he received, what the media, the culture and the people buying his tickets signaled back to him, that filth was now fun, and he acted accordingly. It was in no way acceptable but we can't pretend that the boundaries were as clear as they should've been for a 20 year old who shot to fame here playing that camp crude panto roll. It doesn't sound like he carried things out in private settings with easily manipulated victims for his own sexual kicks. It sounds more like he believed anything goes now and that he continued to play the insufferable character adored on tv into reality. I think that makes him foolish, misled and immature, but not a sex pest who deserves to have his life destroyed.

That's exactly it though. We went through years there of celebrating vulgarity as if it signaled that we were just so "right on", open to everything, everyone who didn't find it all a bit f fun was just a prude. It was a ticket from obscurity to having your own national media career for God sake. Al Porter sounds like he believed the adulation he received, what the media, the culture and the people buying his tickets signaled back to him, that filth was now fun, and he acted accordingly. It was in no way acceptable but we can't pretend that the boundaries were as clear as they should've been for a 20 year old who shot to fame here playing that camp crude panto roll. It doesn't sound like he carried things out in private settings with easily manipulated victims for his own sexual kicks. It sounds more like he believed anything goes now and that he continued to play the insufferable character adored on tv into reality. I think that makes him foolish, misled and immature, but not a sex pest who deserves to have his life destroyed.

I agree. Porter and his persona is 100% created by a media who encouraged it. Porter has talent and can do other things like sing Frank Sinatra type music well. But with all avenues in music closed off unless one sings modern country drivel or boyband pop crass, the only other route for Porter was to exploit a market for crude comedy. Tubridy and his Valentines show encouraged him and egged him on. Of course, Porter became the persona the media encouraged. Of course, Porter should not receive all the blame and those who encouraged and created him need to acknowledge their role in things too. The media should be open to all talent and not just certain types and Tubridy should not be encouraging filth on that Valentine's special: that thing should not go ahead next calendar year/this TV year.

I hate the way the media sold us vulgarity as normal and made one feel they were some kind of prude and religious nutcase if one was not open to it. I am not a prude and not a religious fanatic but I can see vulgarity on constant as both boring and also not funny as well as perhaps encouraging inappropriate behaviour and normalising it. Sadly, Porter is a product of that 'culture'. I blame Tubridy and his kind a lot for the normalisation of vulgarity. Mrs Brown and Gerry Ryan also need to be acknowledged for their contributions to smut too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If you regularly see non consenting goings on on a Saturday night then good for you. Hope you enjoy it.

I agree. Porter and his persona is 100% created by a media who encouraged it. Porter has talent and can do other things like sing Frank Sinatra type music well. But with all avenues in music closed off unless one sings modern country drivel or boyband pop crass, the only other route for Porter was to exploit a market for crude comedy. Tubridy and his Valentines show encouraged him and egged him on. Of course, Porter became the persona the media encouraged. Of course, Porter should not receive all the blame and those who encouraged and created him need to acknowledge their role in things too. The media should be open to all talent and not just certain types and Tubridy should not be encouraging filth on that Valentine's special: that thing should not go ahead next calendar year/this TV year.

I hate the way the media sold us vulgarity as normal and made one feel they were some kind of prude and religious nutcase if one was not open to it. I am not a prude and not a religious fanatic but I can see vulgarity on constant as both boring and also not funny as well as perhaps encouraging inappropriate behaviour and normalising it. Sadly, Porter is a product of that 'culture'. I blame Tubridy and his kind a lot for the normalisation of vulgarity. Mrs Brown and Gerry Ryan also need to be acknowledged for their contributions to smut too.

It's no excuse those. One is responsible for one's own actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

A low key in person apology wouldn't increase their profile though would it.

I really hate Twitter

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    A low key in person apology wouldn't increase their profile though would it.

I really hate Twitter

An in person apology from someone who allegedly sexually assaulted you...... Ehm....I think you need to think that one out a bit.

It's no excuse those. One is responsible for one's own actions.

Yes and that goes for everyone. Porter himself should control himself and find some other way of making a career than via filth. The media too know full well what Porter is and they egged him on and made him the 'highlight' of such shows as Tubridy's Valentines special. But as long as RTE, TV3, Today FM and other media kept pushing him, he became the one of biggest things in post-Catholic Ireland. As all he has to do now is wait a few years, learn the Persian language and give post-Islamic Republic Iran his act and satisfy their audiences' newfound love of vulgarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

He'll be back before long. New persona, new show. People will forget and move onto the next storm in the next teacup.

An in person apology from someone who allegedly sexually assaulted you...... Ehm....I think you need to think that one out a bit.

I also didn't like how both Porter and Tubridy defended that vile Valentine's special last year. They also had the wrong idea by equating all the people who oppose things like sexual innuendoes, vulgar jokes, making a laugh of abuser priests and too much cursing as prudes or religious fanatics. I don't want to see Ireland go back to being an austere Catholic country but either do I want to see displays of vulgarity on our screens. I know friends from Iran who want to see Tehran as a place where there is more availability of alcohol, pubs and music and less misinterpreted religion but I also know they would not like to see vulgarity taking over their TV screens either (which is what will happen sadly). This Porter scandal is a result of idolising all things irreverent and smutty and suddenly, the whole media are shocked when these people they encourage for smut do something smutty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I 100% agree.
    The thing that scares me is aparrently this is being produced as it’s what the “general public” want as entertainment. That scares the hell out of me as it seems Irish people have become a bunch of idiots entertained by the lowest form of wit.
    I’ve seen so many posts online calling for Porter to still do the stupid panto “because it won’t be the same without him”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yeah fair enough I just hate this twitter reveal culture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

_Brian wrote:
    Now, that said, the general public has a short memory and are a fickle bunch, if he holds his hands up, does his time so to speak, I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t appear wringing his hands on the late late in a few years and then make imhis seedy way back into the public eye.

But his whole act and persona is based on crude sex jokes. Different scenario and less serious obviously but Ross and Brand came back from the Andrew Sachs scandal in the UK because they had a bit of substance to them and they could adapt. Nobody wants to listen to a sex pest doing willy jokes so with that part of his act gone he is a busted flush. On a personal level that is sad for him but it looks like the choices has made in life have come back to haunt him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I also didn't like how both Porter and Tubridy defended that vile Valentine's special last year. They also had the wrong idea by equating all the people who oppose things like sexual innuendoes, vulgar jokes, making a laugh of abuser priests and too much cursing as prudes or religious fanatics. I don't want to see Ireland go back to being an austere Catholic country but either do I want to see displays of vulgarity on our screens. I know friends from Iran who want to see Tehran as a place where there is more availability of alcohol, pubs and music and less misinterpreted religion but I also know they would not like to see vulgarity taking over their TV screens either (which is what will happen sadly). This Porter scandal is a result of idolising all things irreverent and smutty and suddenly, the whole media are shocked when these people they encourage for smut do something smutty.

Mrs Browns boys is one massive long micky joke. Lapped up by hundreds of thousands, most of them well into middle and old age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Cazale wrote: »
    But his whole act and persona is based on crude sex jokes. Different scenario and less serious obviously but Ross and Brand came back from the Andrew Sachs scandal in the UK because they had a bit of substance to them and they could adapt. Nobody wants to listen to a sex pest doing willy jokes so with that part of his act gone he is a busted flush. On a personal level that is sad for him but it looks like the choices has made in life have come back to haunt him.

From what I've seen of his act, it was basically all lewd, crude and sexual themed.

As I said back in the thread, it's easy to imagine him with a list of his material and crossing it out line by line with a marker as it's completely inappropriate now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Are the people who say his life shouldn't be destroyed saying he shouldn't lose his job over this? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I guess it should come as no surprise that Al Porter defenders would have very screwed up ideas regarding acceptable behaviour.

And I bet they were the first ones sharpening the pitchforks for George Hook and Kevin Myers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

gramar wrote: »
    He'll be back before long. New persona, new show. People will forget and move onto the next storm in the next teacup.

I actually don't think so. I actually think his media career is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

murpho999 wrote: »

Such a shame after decades in the entertainment industry. Y'know, 0.4 decades in the entertainment industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

murpho999 wrote: »

It won't be that long before he's back making jokes out of this situation and getting paid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

gramar wrote: »

The reaction to allegations of sexual assault and blatant victim blaming is a storm in a teacup?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement