Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Are the people who say his life shouldn't be destroyed saying he shouldn't lose his job over this? confused.png

If he hadnt resigned and the allegations found to be true (as they seem to be), then Today FM and TV3 would be correct to sack him.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    I actually don't think so. I actually think his media career is over.

Hopefully his mainstream media career is over.
    I couldnt stand him, I found him wholly unfunny, vulgar and very dated, but somehow there seems to be a market for that crap. Let them go out of their way to seek him out on stage, or buy a DVD, if thats their thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

gramar wrote: »
    It won't be that long before he's back making jokes out of this situation and getting paid for it.

I really doubt that and I can't fathom why people are saying that, the first thing you would say as a human resources manager / comedy club promoter is don't hire this guy or we will a) probably have to engage a lawyer at some stage as he will be open to accusation b) paying punters won't want to come see a guy who sexually assaulted a struggling young man under psychiatric care.

Penn wrote: »
    Such a shame after decades in the entertainment industry. Y'know, 0.4 decades in the entertainment industry.

have another look at that calculation there! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its over because every employer will be afraid to be seen to support him, so no newspaper, TV station, panto etc will want to employ him again for fear of people associating them with a sex pest.

_Brian wrote: »
    I 100% agree.
    The thing that scares me is aparrently this is being produced as it’s what the “general public” want as entertainment. That scares the hell out of me as it seems Irish people have become a bunch of idiots entertained by the lowest form of wit.
    I’ve seen so many posts online calling for Porter to still do the stupid panto “because it won’t be the same without him”

It's sad people don't want to think anymore, there was a lot of satire, irony, slap stick that required people to know cultural references whereas Mrs. Brown is just pure innuendo and nothing more, no nuance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

74 pages and counting, remarkable. Didn't realize what a huge star he was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

NIMAN wrote: »
    Its over because every employer will be afraid to be seen to support him, so no newspaper, TV station, panto etc will want to employ him again for fear of people associating them with a sex pest.

That's it in a nutshell. He can only get so far without the backing of TV3/RTE and they wont want to be mentioned in the same sentence as the name Al Porter from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

According to Olaf Tyaransen of Hotpress on twitter Al did an interview a few days before the allegations and "I fear some of the words may come back to haunt him".

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    74 pages and counting, remarkable. Didn't realize what a huge star he was?

I think it's dragged on because of the 'it wasn't that bad' type comments, no reflection on his star so to speak, I had to google him to remember who he is, the only Irish comedian I pay any attention to is Dillon Moran.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I really doubt that and I can't fathom why people are saying that, the first thing you would say as a human resources manager / comedy club promoter is don't hire this guy or we will a) probably have to engage a lawyer at some stage as he will be open to accusation b) paying punters won't want to come see a guy who sexually assaulted a struggling young man under psychiatric care.

For the moment it's all allegations. Al is young, a public figure and popular with a lot of people. He'll be back because there will be promoters who can see him as a way of making money. People can have very short memories.
    He'll rejig his persona and his material but he ain't finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

No one in his immediate circle, family close friends etc seems to have able to stop him going too far.
    Are they all blind?
    If ,as it’s said, he’s been doing this for “years” (at 24?), then they can’t pretend they didn’t feel a bit uncomfortable at times.
    That LLS was unbearable. Someone in his “inner circle” MUST have felt it was going in the wrong direction.
    But no, both Today FM and TV 3 pop up with offers of prime time regular work, so obviously this is what people want...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It won't be that long before he's back making jokes out of this situation and getting paid for it.

Really don't think so. I don't see who will hire him and making jokes about sexual assault and rape is just not done.

For the moment it's all allegations. Al is young, a public figure and popular with a lot of people. He'll be back because there will be promoters who can see him as a way of making money. People can have very short memories.

Various comedians will refuse to be on the same bill as him. Can you point to any other cases where someone has recovered their career after such accusations sticking?

I think it's dragged on because of the 'it wasn't that bad' type comments, no reflection on his star so to speak, I had to google him to remember who he is, the only Irish comedian I pay any attention to is Dillon Moran.

Not his name obviously!

Not his name obviously!

Dylan sorry it's early, annnnd the rest of it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Oh yes he is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

mad muffin wrote: »
    Oh yes he is!
    hes behi.....

better not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

He will in a private club/concert capacity.
    Jim Davidson and Bernard Manning et al were totally rejected from mainstream entertainment in the end, but carried on having a career in clubs and bigger venues playing to a live audience that continued to lap it up, the sexism the misogyny the racism the homophobia.
    There’s plenty of people want to heehaw and cackle at Al Porter and think that his accusers need to get over-themselves.
    Plenty are posting here.
    That’s the thing. TV3 bosses and TodayFM somehow thought that we all wanted to be force fed this stuff.
    They’re wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I am truly baffled by some of the overreactions on this thread. It's like I am in some sort of parallel universe and I sincerely hope that boards does not reflect reality. Then again Twitter outrage does not reflect reality either. I wonder if the people who are most appalled have led very sheltered lives, as a teen and in my early twenties this sort of behaviour was common and brushed off, I assume it still is but I just don't go out that much anymore. I'm now bowing out of this thread and returning to reality. Off to do some groping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Sample material.

"I entered Mr Ireland. Well, he didn't seem to mind"

While we knew (note the past tense) he was joking about rape, the allegations against him gives an element of 'hiding in plain sight' to such quips. The crude, innuendo jokes will always find an audience. And there will be another promoted purveyor of it in time. The apology actually tried to exploit his persona (which is an act) to manipulate the reality that this was just someone, a normal person without the 'act', who felt he could grope and sexually assault other men without consequence and was so self absorbed to think people would accept that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I am truly baffled by some of the overreactions on this thread. It's like I am in some sort of parallel universe and I sincerely hope that boards does not reflect reality. Then again Twitter outrage does not reflect reality either. I wonder if the people who are most appalled have led very sheltered lives, as a teen and in my early twenties this sort of behaviour was common and brushed off, I assume it still is but I just don't go out that much anymore. I'm now bowing out of this thread and returning to reality. Off to do some groping!

Have you ever had someone put their hand into your underwear to fondle your genitals? That's not on the same level as a grope. Besides we can't tell people how they should feel. I've had my arse felt and had my breasts grabbed on occasion but the incident that has stayed with me most is a guy who told me he could rape me whenever he wanted, he never touched me but I still get shudders thinking of it. I don't think these guys did anything wrong, bad behaviour should always be called out, intimidating behaviour shouldn't be allowed happen unchallenged. The only person responsible for the ruination of Porters career is the man himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭donaghs

Lets say he admits to the accusations, apologizes and vows never to engage in such behaviour again, do you really think his whole career should be ruined? Such a situation should be dealt with in a calm and considered manner, not dictated by online mobs. I typed Al Porter's name in to twitter and couldn't believe the amount of bile aimed at him.

Looking online, and speaking with people in comedy, showbiz etc who encountered him, the stories are endless. As has been stated before, this is his MO. How do you actually apologize to that many people? How do you retrain someone to behave properly with others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Difficult to tell given the bits listed below.

"Innocent until proven guilty" is the phrase you're looking for, which has most certianly not happened. He willingly stepped back from his commitments, he's been convicted of nothing. Yet.

Due process does appear to be something you're unfamiliar with if you're tarring him as guilty based on circumstnatial eveidence.

Now, just to be clear, I'm of the opinion he's done something, but I don't know what; but that said, I'm not forming judgment until I know for sure.

Not sure if you noticed, but Boards is not a courtroom. There is no such level of proof needed for people to make their own minds up based on the allegations and the "apology".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Exactly. Complete overreaction. It reminds me of the righteous, moral indignation of Trump when he was recorded saying "Grab her...." Any group of lads has said something like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'd genuinely never heard of him before this scandal broke. Sounds like he's just a sleazy asshole getting his comeuppance. Hopefully it'll deter others from similar behaviour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Exactly. Complete overreaction. It reminds me of the righteous, moral indignation of Trump when he was recorded saying "Grab her...." Any group of lads has said something like this.

No they haven't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not sure if you noticed, but Boards is not a courtroom. There is no such level of proof needed for people to make their own minds up based on the allegations and the "apology".

Agreed. Innocent until proven guilty is a term thrown about a lot, but it's one which relates to the requirement of a court, judge, jury etc to start each trial with the presumption that the defendant is innocent, and it's up to the prosecutors to prove to the jury that the defendant is guilty.

It doesn't preclude anyone outside of the court from holding an opinion as to whether or not the defendant is guilty. It also doesn't take into account that many guilty people are found innocent, and some innocent people are found guilty.

Now of course, accusations made shouldn't just simply be believed automatically, and the person being accused has every right to defend themselves and deny the accusations. Some level of proof to go along with the accusations should be provided where possible, and multiple people making the same type of accusation essentially helps provide a level of evidence as it shows a pattern of behaviour.

In this case, multiple people came forward with very similar stories, and Al Porter didn't deny any of them, instead giving excuses for his actions, not denying he carried them out.

As such I don't think it's unreasonable for people to hold the opinion that the accusations are true. He may not have been convicted of a crime, and the level of proof required to prove that he's guilty in a court of law would obviously be more onerous and may mean he'd be found innocent, but it's not unreasonable for people to consider him guilty based on everything that's come out so far and his apology for same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A chap I know who used to work in The Dragon on George's street was saying that in his experience this crotch grabbing was pretty common place in there

20Cent wrote: »
    No they haven't.

Yes, they have.

I think he's more popular with the mammy crowd than the young crowd. And they're allegations, but ones he's apologised for rather than denied. Which means they're more than likely true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I wouldn't say I am any way appalled, he's clearly outed himself as a moron for the groping and grabbing and probably doesn't deserve the job he has, with those positions comes social power and somebody who thinks it's ok to behave in such a way can't be trusted with that power.

The only part I find really unsettling is the alleged incident in St.Pats, now that is something extremely wrong on all levels.

I wouldn't say I am any way appalled, he's clearly outed himself as a moron for the groping and grabbing and probably doesn't deserve the job he has, with those positions comes social power and somebody who thinks it's ok to behave in such a way can't be trusted with that power.

The only part I find really unsettling is the alleged incident in St.Pats, now that is something extremely wrong on all levels.

True, but Pats say they haven't received any complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yes, they have.

You hang around in ****ty circles.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You hang around in ****ty circles.

Sounds like an Al Porter joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mel123

Agreed, I just dont see how he can bounce back at all after this, and rightly so IMO.
    Id be disgusted if my employer hired a sex pest/sexual abuser to come sit in my office to work, its the same difference for RTE/TV3 or anyone else who would even attempt to hire him after this.

Anyone remember Dapper Laughs (UK not Irish) and when he went through with his rape 'jokes'? Its hard to compare jokes with actual sexual assault, and that is not my intention at all, but it took Dapper a long time to bounce back, he almost didnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

What I am trying to figure out is this. If said allegations did take place why didn't any of his accusers, individually or collectively, take it to the Garda if they felt so offended, outraged and distraught about it and have him charged or cautioned, instead of running to the papers with it years later.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    What I am trying to figure out is this. If said allegations did take place why didn't any of his accusers, individually or collectively, take it to the Garda if they felt so offended, outraged and distraught about it and have him charged or cautioned, instead of running to the papers with it years later.

Because #metoo gets a person more attention. I can't believe some of the posters on here think there is no element of attention seeking to this whole story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Because #metoo gets a person more attention. I can't believe some of the posters on here think there is no element of attention seeking to this whole story.

I can't believe there any rationally minded intelligent people who think otherwise!!!

Of COURSE it's purely attention seeking!!

You go to the Guards and - hopefully - they'll want details, places, facts that can be verified and checked against an alibi.

Go on Twitter and "you go girl!" - no verification needed there.

I can't believe there any rationally minded intelligent people who think otherwise!!!

Of COURSE it's purely attention seeking!!

You go to the Guards and - hopefully - they'll want details, places, facts that can be verified and checked against an alibi.

Go on Twitter and "you go girl!" - no verification needed there.

there's two issues:
    the "what" he did
    and the "why" the victims are only coming forward now.

for some rationally minded people the "why" seems more important than the "what". I might be wrong?

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »

I'll guess because going to the courts is a long drawn out process and expensive. Going to the papers is easier, takes a half hour and it's the same end result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Why did no-one knock him out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

david75 wrote: »
    You’re in a bar and someone sticks their hand down your jocks you simply push him off and tell him To fvck off. If you’re a lad.

So such an attack on a woman would be rightly classed as a sexual assault which should by all means be reported to the Gardai, but when it happens to "a lad" it's just bantz?

Jesus wept, I've no idea what decade your mindset is stuck in, but should I ever be so unfortunate to be assaulted in such a manner I will most certainly not meekly brush it off.

Sexual assault is equally reprehensible whether the victim is male or female.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Kyng Shaggy Strap

but1er wrote: »
    Why did no-one knock him out?

He'll play the homophobic attack card and then they'd get into trouble

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

So such an attack on a woman would be rightly classed as a sexual assault which should by all means be reported to the Gardai, but when it happens to "a lad" it's just bantz?

Jesus wept, I've no idea what decade your mindset is stuck in, but should I ever be so unfortunate to be assaulted in such a manner I most certainly not meekly brush it off.

Sexual assault is equally reprehensible whether the victim is male or female.

It’s uncommon but it does happen on the gay scene any random night. But not often at all. The thing here is it’s porters MO. consistently. He’s known for it. And it has worked for him often it seems as he kept doing it. But when challenged he goes ‘ah I’m only having a Buzz! Banter!’ bvll**** when you’re doa by it constantly.

A reply from one of his accusers to his frankly appalling non apology-

'The tone of the vitriol.' That's amazing. My apologies to Al Porter for calmly and accurately describing my experience. Wow. Sorry I was a bad victim bud twitter.com/TheAlPorter/st…

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jack hackett

Why is that these sex pests are always men? like you will never see a headline saying Paula McSweeney caught being a sex pest or Muireann O Connell groped a member of Bellx1 in studio? What really annoys me is that Paula McSweeney is shoved into the 5am slot just so todayfm can say that they employee female presenters and Muireann O Connell, who should have actually got the lunchtime gig instead of Porter, she gets shoved around filling holes everywhere, dermot and dave get more holidays than teachers and she fills in and Porter was always off anyway so she may as well have been the lunchtime presenter, Todayfm need to learn from this hard lesson.

• Advertisement

david75 wrote: »
    It’s uncommon but it does happen on the gay scene any random night. But not often at all. The thing here is it’s porters MO. consistently. He’s known for it. And it has worked for him often it seems as he kept doing it. But when challenged he goes ‘ah I’m only having a Buzz! Banter!’ bvll**** when you’re doa by it constantly.

A reply from one of his accusers to his frankly appalling non apology-

'The tone of the vitriol.' That's amazing. My apologies to Al Porter for calmly and accurately describing my experience. Wow. Sorry I was a bad victim bud twitter.com/TheAlPorter/st…

In fairness, he has received a barrage of abuse from lots of people unconnected with the allegations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Why is that these sex pests are always men? like you will never see a headline saying Paula McSweeney caught being a sex pest or Muireann O Connell groped a member of Bellx1 in studio? What really annoys me is that Paula McSweeney is shoved into the 5am slot just so todayfm can say that they employee female presenters and Muireann O Connell, who should have actually got the lunchtime gig instead of Porter, she gets shoved around filling holes everywhere, dermot and dave get more holidays than teachers and she fills in and Porter was always off anyway so she may as well have been the lunchtime presenter, Todayfm need to learn from this hard lesson.

I couldn't help myself :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jack hackett

I couldn't help myself :pac:

is this Al Porter? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

the facebook messages are just getting worse and worse. should of used snapchat ( i joke i joke )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

In fairness, he has received a barrage of abuse from lots of people unconnected with the allegations.

‘Ah poor sex predator getting a hard time. Heart goes out to him.’

He deserves the abuse he’s getting. The defence of him is baffling to me

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement