Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

seamus wrote: »
    Anyone who reads O'Gormans tweets as an endorsement of Porter needs to go back to Junior Cert English.

Surprised at you making this comment, Seamus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

20Cent wrote: »
    Walsh gave a written reference TO THE COURT in defence of Humphries in order to petition for a shorter sentence. Why this is still allowed I don't know.

O'Gorman was reflecting on his experience of meeting Porter.

Hope that clears it up.

Agreed, I don't know why people would make positive comments in public about someone accused of sexual assault, especially if not refuted or found guilty. It doesn't seem wise as it could easily be misinterpreted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

pilly wrote:
    I don't see anyone on here supporting him so not sure why you're baffled David. If you're referring to FB that's a different forum altogether.

Plenty on here are are apologists for his sexual assaults. There are no grey areas with sexual assaults, either you condone it as acceptable or condem it as outside of what any decent person would deem to be normal adult behaviour. Plenty on here have been trying to play it down over the last 24 hours. That is either support for sexual assaulters or support for Al Porter. Whichever it is it's pretty disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭QuietMan2010

20Cent wrote: »
    Walsh gave a written reference TO THE COURT in defence of Humphries in order to petition for a shorter sentence. Why this is still allowed I don't know.

O'Gorman was reflecting on his experience of meeting Porter.

Hope that clears it up.

Nope, Walsh was criticised for his 2012 comments that his friend and colleague Tom Humphries was 'a fine man'. Those comments were made after the allegations against Humphries were made public and five years before the court case. O'Gorman said about Porter: "I know Al. I like him. I have always found him to be kind and decent." These comments were made after the allegations against Porter were made public.

Matt Cooper, who conducted the 2012 interview with Walsh, was particularly agitated about the comments at the time of the trial. And rightfully so. But by the same token, O'Gorman should know better than to make his supportive comments about Porter's character, given the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Nope, Walsh was criticised for his 2012 comments that his friend and colleague Tom Humphries was 'a fine man'. Those comments were made after the allegations against Humphries were made public and five years before the court case. O'Gorman said about Porter: "I know Al. I like him. I have always found him to be kind and decent." These comments were made after the allegations against Porter were made public.

Matt Cooper, who conducted the 2012 interview with Walsh, was particularly agitated about the comments at the time of the trial. And rightfully so. But by the same token, O'Gorman should know better than to make his supportive comments about Porter's character, given the circumstances.

“I maybe know a bit more than most people about the charges and the situation Tom has found himself in. There is no question in my mind that he is a fine man.”

That's what Walsh said, he was leaping to Humphries defence. Walsh would remain 'a fine man' regardless. O'Gorman is saying to put the victims first, he's putting that above his previous view of Porter and wants the case to be investigated and prosecuted. Walsh also repeatedly emphasised what a great guy Humphries is, in his view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

seamus wrote: »
    Never heard of Walsh or his comments. Quick Google suggests that he basically backed the wrong horse. After the allegations he praised Humphries and called him a fine man. Which anyone is entitled to do for a friend.

Someone screwed him over though by releasing his words after Humphries was convicted. I'm sure his opinion of Humphries has changed in the intervening period.

O'Gorman has not done the same here. In fact he's basically done the opposite - expressed his shock and upset that the Porter may not be the person he thought. Anyone who reads O'Gormans tweets as an endorsement of Porter needs to go back to Junior Cert English.

I'd suggest reading up on him. He gave a character witness statement for the nonce's court case.

I wrote a personal character reference for Tom because we have been friends for 30 years and, despite the serious wrong he has done, I could not abandon him,” Walsh said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Is this not still the hand dropping on mickeys thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

O'Gorman is being smeared for his pro choice views. That is the only rational explanation for the venom being directed at him.

pitifulgod wrote: »
    “I maybe know a bit more than most people about the charges and the situation Tom has found himself in. There is no question in my mind that he is a fine man.”

That's what Walsh said, he was leaping to Humphries defence. Walsh would remain 'a fine man' regardless. O'Gorman is saying to put the victims first, he's putting that above his previous view of Porter and wants the case to be investigated and prosecuted. Walsh also repeatedly emphasised what a great guy Humphries is, in his view.

How is it a previous view? He states ‘I know Al. I like him. I have always found him to be kind and decent.’ That is not showing that his opinion has changed at all from the recent unrefuted accusations and victim blaming from Porter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I wouldn't be a fan of Al Porter's style of comedy - I'm surprised it's popular at all as I thought that innuendo, double endendre - Julian Clary meets Carry On...style to be very dated.

But placing your hands down someone's trousers is assault - and shocking to the person who had it done to them - I suppose some would laugh it off embarrassed - some would retaliate with a thump - and some rightly report it.

People have the right not to have their private space invaded by some serial letch - these types of things were accepted/ ignored/shrugged off in the past - and the perpetrators allowed continue. No more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Foxtrol wrote: »
    How is it a previous view? He states ‘I know Al. I like him. I have always found him to be kind and decent.’ That is not showing that his opinion has changed at all from the recent unrefuted accusations and victim blaming from Porter.

In his actual tweets you're condemning, he specifies that there's nothing kind or decent about Porter's. He's finding difficult to comprehend out of shock however he's very much so on the victim's side. The implication is that his view of Porter has been somewhat been turned on its head as a result of the accusations hence 'this is hard to take on board'.

https://twitter.com/Colmogorman/status/932663097101291520

His support of victims in his tweets are unequivocal and he actually praised their courage for coming out. It's pretty telling that you didn't include the tweets when you first posted...

Al Porter may face garda investigation after former patient makes complaint alleging sexual assault

It's understood the complaint is the same allegation that was published on Sunday.

Under current guidelines a psychiatric hospital is obliged in law to notify a “serious reportable incident” within 48 hours to the Mental Health Commission, the legal watchdog for mental health services.
    It is also obliged to report a formal complaint about an alleged sexual assault to gardai.

When the claims were initially published on Sunday, St Patrick’s issued a statement to say that no allegations had been made to them by clients or staff about Al Porter.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/al-porter-may-face-garda-investigation-after-former-patient-makes-complaint-alleging-sexual-assault-36340657.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

In his actual tweets you're condemning, he specifies that there's nothing kind or decent about Porter's. He's finding difficult to comprehend out of shock however he's very much so on the victim's side. The implication is that his view of Porter has been somewhat been turned on its head as a result of the accusations hence 'this is hard to take on board'.

His support of victims in his tweets are unequivocal and he actually praised their courage for coming out. It's pretty telling that you didn't include the tweets when you first posted...

Not a fan of CoG but I've no issue with his statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Yep just read that there.... I have a feeling this whole thing will get worse before it gets better....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

From Colm. Some weird people out there trying to make this about him. Al porter knows hundreds of people. None of whom are getting this sh!t

A few reflections after an eventful 48 hours: Twitter isn’t some other worldly place, it’s full of all the same people as the real world, good and bad. Happily in my experience, mostly good. All life is here, must of it unfiltered.
    I’ve had a fair bit of awful trolling to deal with over the past few days, but also had a huge amount of love and support. People here, as everywhere, are generally wonderful. ❤️

Some people who were upset or had questions for me re Al Porter tweets were genuine, some asked having seen a willful misrepresentation of what I said. A vile spin which implied the near opposite of what I wrote and what I believe.

I have no issue answering such questions. It’s right and proper that I would. But those who willfully spun this are another matter entirely. Their agenda is clear.

A glance at the timelines of most makes clear that many are avowedly anti-choice, many others hatefully anti-refugee. Their use of this issue to harass, troll and try undermine our work on these issue is transparent. And it is vile.

To use a faux concern for victims of sexual assault in this way is more than cynical, it is despicable. But it won’t work. I’m not going anywhere. And this crap only strengthens my resolve.

• Advertisement

david75 wrote: »
    From Colm. Some weird people out there trying to make this about him. Al porter knows hundreds of people. None of whom are getting this sh!t

A few reflections after an eventful 48 hours: Twitter isn’t some other worldly place, it’s full of all the same people as the real world, good and bad. Happily in my experience, mostly good. All life is here, must of it unfiltered.
    I’ve had a fair bit of awful trolling to deal with over the past few days, but also had a huge amount of love and support. People here, as everywhere, are generally wonderful. ❤️

Some people who were upset or had questions for me re Al Porter tweets were genuine, some asked having seen a willful misrepresentation of what I said. A vile spin which implied the near opposite of what I wrote and what I believe.

I have no issue answering such questions. It’s right and proper that I would. But those who willfully spun this are another matter entirely. Their agenda is clear.

A glance at the timelines of most makes clear that many are avowedly anti-choice, many others hatefully anti-refugee. Their use of this issue to harass, troll and try undermine our work on these issue is transparent. And it is vile.

To use a faux concern for victims of sexual assault in this way is more than cynical, it is despicable. But it won’t work. I’m not going anywhere. And this crap only strengthens my resolve.

Who's Colm?

I would not say the support for a victim is unequivocal if you state that you like the accused, think they’re kind and decent and that the victim's claims don’t sound like the guy you know.

It is at best awkwardly worded. He has already added a paragraph to clarify what he meant by ‘that won’t happen here’ and is still dealing with the comments about Porter’s character, where he is now blaming bots.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Who's Colm?

Colm O Gorman of amnesty international. Who a certain faction are trying to tar with al Porters misconduct simply because he knows him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

cisk wrote: »
    Al Porter may face garda investigation after former patient makes complaint alleging sexual assault

It's understood the complaint is the same allegation that was published on Sunday.

Under current guidelines a psychiatric hospital is obliged in law to notify a “serious reportable incident” within 48 hours to the Mental Health Commission, the legal watchdog for mental health services.
    It is also obliged to report a formal complaint about an alleged sexual assault to gardai.

When the claims were initially published on Sunday, St Patrick’s issued a statement to say that no allegations had been made to them by clients or staff about Al Porter.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/al-porter-may-face-garda-investigation-after-former-patient-makes-complaint-alleging-sexual-assault-36340657.html

Ah here, the hospital subjected patients to a visit from Porter? Is there not some UN resolution being contravened there?

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I would not say the support for a victim is unequivocal if you state that you like the accuser, think they’re kind and decent and that the victim's claims don’t sound like the guy you know.

It is at best awkwardly worded. He has already added a paragraph to clarify what he meant by ‘that won’t happen here’ and is still dealing with the comments about Porter’s character, where he is now blaming bots.

Have a look through the tweets he’s getting abuse in. They’re almost entirely bots.

Who is organising it against him is the real question. It’s pathetic trying to be sinister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

This guy on twitter is a decent follow for the Porter Scandal and current madness going on in RTE.

https://twitter.com/rtesecretpro/status/932973368042754048

Brego888 wrote: »
    This guy on twitter is a decent follow for the Porter Scandal and current madness going on in RTE.

I'd say Porters legal team are watching it with popcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭QuietMan2010

david75 wrote: »
    Colm O Gorman of amnesty international. Who a certain faction are trying to tar with al Porters misconduct simply because he knows him.

Not everyone that has a concern with O'Gorman's comments are part of that faction. My concern is that all abusers should be treated the same, regardless of whether they are straight white males, gay men, women, or any other responsible adult. And their victims deserve the same treatment. O'Gorman's comments about Porter's character leave him open to the same charge that David Walsh was accused of, which was trying to say the the abuser was a good man who just made a mistake. That is one genuinely impartial interpretation of his comments about the disconnect between the Al Porter he knows, and the actions alleged against him, being 'hard to take on board'.

Just seen another screenshot porter sent a lad with a cock pic and ‘I left a lad in bits at EP’ written under it.
    This is gonna get worse for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I might give it a watch!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd say they are in conference wondering how to ditch him tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10 OUTOFCONTROL

I see hes presenting the champions league on tv3. Kerr dosen't know what to make of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Haven't kept up with the thread but
    echoes of Jimmy Seville with the latest allegation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Think we all are! Can’t believe the amount of people defending him!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Well, since we seem to have given up on trial by jury as being unfashionably democratic, I guess the lawyers need something to do with their days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I don't get the point of this? Some anonymous account Tweeting alleged deviant behaviour that Al is supposed to have gotten up to at EP? Kind of shltty isn't it? We have no clue who is behind this account or their motivations or anything. I believe what Al did was 100% wrong and his apology was twisted but Jesus there is only so much public kicking I can see someone get before I start to feel sorry for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The person or people behind that are just further muck raking really under the guise of confirming things which reads like bull**** to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

pilly wrote: »
    And what has that to do with Al Porter?

I think he wants to abort Al Porter?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

I heard he's a nonce too

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Wowbagger

Well Pighead could spot a nonce!

Wowbagger wrote: »
    Well Pighead could spot a nonce!

Who is pighead?

Was a member here many moons ago. Mentioned in a post that Jimmy Saville looked like a nonce! :)

Was a member here many moons ago. Mentioned in a post that Jimmy Saville looked like a nonce! :)

Jimmy Saville to be fair was almost the parody.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

Route1 wrote: »

Jimmy Saville to be fair was almost the parody.
    is Porter a coke head too?

there is some texts doing the rounds

• Advertisement

No idea tbh, but I'd say that's the least of his concerns these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Who is pighead?
    A controversial poster of old
    mkdon wrote: »

Nudie sort of texts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I heard he's a nonce too
    Bit unfair, all we know so far is that Porter was sending lewd texts to a 15 year old boy. Porter has denied everything and has yet to be convicted of anything so he cannot be called "a nonce" as you say
    mkdon wrote: »

There sure are. Al Porter himself has said that he is "on the bag"; make of that what you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A controversial poster of old

Nudie sort of texts?

Can a text message be naked? :confused:

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Can a text message be naked? :confused:

Ah sure you can sext now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Since you mention Jimmy Saville :

Seems there is a complaint about Al Porter's behaviour in a hospital :

• Advertisement

haven't seen any of these coke or electric picnic filth txts but really, what sort of twat buts that shyte out on social media or even a txt. In an age of "the fappening" and hugh grant post levinson etc, it beggers belief TBH.

You can only assume that once these eejit generate some cult of personality
    they really do float out of reality!

Sure I remember a mate years ago being a t a party and a certain RTE well known lady was practically begging people for coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

rusty cole wrote: »
    haven't seen any of these coke or electric picnic filth txts but really, what sort of twat buts that shyte out on social media or even a txt. In an age of "the fappening" and hugh grant post levinson etc, it beggers belief TBH.

You can only assume that once these eejit generate some cult of personality
    they really do float out of reality!

Sure I remember a mate years ago being a t a party and a certain RTE well known lady was practically begging people for coke.

Giz a hint at who.

ah I wouldn't, I don't want to seem odius for the sake of it ;)

rusty cole wrote: »

You can't seriously be implying someone who works in the media takes coke?!?

Whatever next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Giz a hint at who.

Back in the good old days we'd mosey on over to Popbitch to find out who.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement